“Cheap and clean, but just the basics” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Twilight Surf Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Twilight Surf Motel
Ranked #140 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Augusta, Georgia
“Cheap and clean, but just the basics”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

This was the second summer in a row we've stayed here at Twilight Surf. It's cheap, and for an OF hotel, can't be beat for the price. It's old, and worn around the edges, but clean, so that's good enough for us. It's an OF hotel, but not all the rooms are OF. Because it's an L-shaped hotel, SOME of the side view rooms have a (duh) side view of the ocean, but some definitely do not, b/c the view is blocked from the leg of the L that is comprised of completely OF rooms. You do get what you pay for here. Even the OF rooms here are still less expensive than most of the cheapest non-view rooms at other fancier, more expensive hotels.
DO NOT come here expecting a continental b-fast, room service, or any other typical amenities that are the norm for chain hotels. It's not a chain, it's a mom-and-pop establishment, that's clean, quiet and budget friendly. I realize everyone's opinion of what is clean and good service is different, and can sometimes be hit or miss, but both last year and this year, we were not disappointed with either the cleanliness or the service. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the cleaning ladies did not come into our room each day to clean, etc, but the ladies we encountered each day were pleasant and nice, and seemed to all be working hard. We did have to stop one of them and ask for our trash to be changed, and for some extra towels and washcloths, but she was nice, polite, and prompt. (I suppose everyone's opinions, again, are different)
Yes, the outside carpet on the outdoor walkways is dirty, damp and covered in sand. But, guess what, IT'S OUTSIDE, ON THE BEACH. It's acceptable to us. (Again, everyone's standards are different) And, yes, some of the furniture (the chairs, specifically) is older and a bit stained in some places from normal use, wear and tear (could use a good steam cleaning once in a while) but it's not the Hilton, and the rest of the room was clean. There was plenty of tp and soap in the bathroom; the shower, sink and toilet were clean, as was the entire kitchenette area. We did not see any bugs, nowhere, not even outside. And bugs are a deal breaker for me. So, trust me, if we had seen any, we'd have been outta there.
There is a pool, it's OF, and was clean as well. There's a little blocked off area at the shallow end, that's just for the kiddos, and our little one enjoyed it immensely.
I absolutely would recommend staying here to anyone who's just looking for the basic place to stay, and is on a budget. It's clean, and to me, that's the most important part. I would NOT recommend staying here to anyone who enjoys the amenities of a larger chain hotel, with conveniences and more one-on-one service.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so ask for ground or 2nd floor level if stairs bother you. OF rooms will be no...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DianaPrince217
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Coeburn, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We were forced to stay here because it was all we could find, we went down the week of the July 4th, 2011! It's totally NASTY, run down and we were told ocean front when booking, NOT instead parking lot view!! Upon check in I noticed my bed had pubs in it and sand! We complained but they wouldn't even give us clean sheets. I had to sleep on my blanket. They never clean your room and be sure and bring your own towels, trash bags, sheets and anything else because they provide NOTHING! The lamps in the room didn't even have shades on them, none of the plugs ins work!! It needs to be torn down!!! Or condemned!!! Our room had cockroaches hang gliding from Doritos! I am the type person that doesn't care where I stay as long as it's clean I aways say! But YUK, Total Trash If you are planning on staying here U better think again!!! NASTY
s

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank lgr_10
TwilightSurfMotel, Front Office Manager at Twilight Surf Motel, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
1. We never "force" anyone to say here. IF you had requested ocean front that is what you would have received. Most people request the cheapest room, so we offer side views.
2. We offer "daily" maid service for all rooms unless the guest refuse this service.
3. We have trash cans (with bags) in all rooms and offer as many as the guest need.
4. Sheets are changed daily and we can offer more sheets if you need them.
5. Some of our electrical outlets are connected to switches on the wall to make turning on lamps easy (so you most likely didn't flip those switches.
6. Did you report the missing lamp shades? Maintenance would have replaced them immediately.
5. We have a routine pest control plan and we take pride in how our rooms are bug free.

If you look at our other reviews people may complain because it is an older property but we do offer extremely affordable rates, we are located directly on the ocean and keep the rooms clean and we do not get any complaints to the magnitude that you have posted. After reading your review it honestly sounds like a practical joke or a review from someone we had a problem with and had to ask to leave and this is your way of getting even.

"Cockroaches hang-gliding on Doritos's?" You can't be serious!

I hope you did not expect anyone to take your review serious!

To anyone one else interested in staying with us please read the "majority" of our reviews or come by in person and ask to take a look at one of our rooms for yourself. I assure you that you will not see anything to the magnitude of the things posted in this review.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

roseville ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Me and my family stayed here for a week and never again. Everytime you asked for anything it was like you were asking for a arm or leg from them. It was a problem just to get enough towels everyday, housekeeping ladies were so LAZY!!!! No elevator nothing extra other than the pool.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank hottieacdc
Clover, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your review! We value your contribution, and would like to be able to post it to the site. However, we're only allowed to post reviews that meet specific criteria and your review must meet the guidelines below before we can post it. If you'd be willing to edit and resubmit your review, we'd really appreciate it, and so will your fellow travelers! Your original review is included below so you can easily copy and paste it into the review form and make the necessary edits.

*Unique and independent
(No questions for other reviewers or comments about other reviews, reviewers or management responses.)

We appreciate your contributions to the TripAdvisor community.

Best regards,

TripAdvisor Support Team

------original review-------

Subject: Twilight Surf Motel
Location: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States, North America
Title: WE GO EVERY YEAR AND STAY HERE
ID#: 112921106

I know there are better places, but they come with much higher rates. We only shower and sleep there. We are at the beach to be on the beach in the water having fun. This is one of the last family friendly owned places and we have gotten to know the whole bunch and they are there to satisfy. If you want to nit-pick about this place and the people you are not the kind of people who were raised with manners!!!!!!!

Room Tip: BF are nice, we prefer to stay on side unit
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jorbity55
Cannelton,WV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

I have stayed many times at the motel. I do not agree with such negative post other people have made. It is a motel that families with a budget can afford. Nothing fancy, but I for one thought it was as clean as the next one(.I have stayed at other motels down there). Some people expect to pay a low price and have the best. I had a problem,my daughter broke a glass, went to the front desk they provided the vacuum so it could be cleaned up`. I did not once encounter rude behavior by anyone there. The only problem I had with the motel was the maid service came in too early. The Pool was VERY CLEAN and nice.Beautiful ocean view from our room,we were in a side view room. My one year old daughter played in the floors of our room and not once did she get dirty from the carpets. Now on the outside,yes the carpets are not brand new . You have to consider the water,sand and wear and tear they go through in a season. I for one was always satisfied with the cleanliness, staff, and the location of this motel!

Room Tip: Side-first floor
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled with family