“great restuarant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Salt Water Creek
Ranked #14 of 131 Restaurants in Murrells Inlet
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Myrtle Beach
“great restuarant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great food, great service and a good atmospere. Highly reccomend the Sunday brunch

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“To the "a bad day" review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

whoever wrote the book of a review "a bad day"....... Are you serious? Its a review not a novel. I think you over did it alot. That was like 10 pages. I am a murrells inlet / pawleys island native and know this area well. Ive gone to salt creek dozens of times and its a really great place. Ive always enjoyed my meal. Salad, bbq chicken pizza, sushi and calamari is where its at. I think you must have been having a bad day w your family and that was the problem. If you want pancakes then you should have gone to a more breakfast place. Salt creek is great place, hear it from a local. Its top three on my list in the area.

2 Thank Pawleysislandnative
New York City, New York
“One of the best in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We tried many restaurants in the Myrtle Beach/Murrell's Inlet area, and this was by far one of the best. The food was very good, and it had other choices than the fried pubby food that most other restaurants in the area offered. Definitely our favorite on our week long trip. Too bad we didn't discover it until our last night of vacation!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
“Not what it used to be....will not be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

I am a local and loved his place, but the last three times I have been there have not been good and I am done. There are too many good places to eat locally and do not need to frequent place with such bad service and food that has really gone down hill. After my last experience I will not be back. The service was unbelievably slow..took 30 minutes to have our order taken and get drinks. All night the server was no where to be found...my food was over cooked and really bad....I have really nothing good to say. It is a shame, as used to be a good place, but after a third bad experience....again will not be back.

1 Thank Shamoson
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“A BAD day...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

A Bad Day….

I really dislike writing bad reviews, but if I take the time to praise those who did it right, it’s only fair to Tripadvisor readers that I do the same for the not-so-greats. I always check TA for reviews before visiting someplace new and after reviewing numerous reviews of restaurants in the Myrtle Beach/Pawley's Island area since we had family staying there, I decided on the Salt Water Grill for Easter Brunch based on the majority of good reviews and made reservations for 5 at 11:00 thou we did arrive about fifteen minutes early.

Without being rude, I must say that this was the absolute worst dining experience I’ve had in years from the minute we walked in until we left our seats. The food was not good, the service was abominable and the host was clueless and rather rude because of that. In a nutshell, nobody greeted us or acknowledged at the host station for at least five minutes despite not being that busy. We had reservations for five, but were put at a booth for four with a chair at the end – very tight.

I asked the host if they had a table (one right next to us set for six), and he just said “I don’t have any tables” and walked away. No apology, no basic acknowledgement that we weren’t going to be comfortable…he just walked away. (Funny, that table of six sat empty the ENTIRE time we stayed).

Our server came over about 10 minutes later to get our drink order and that was before another 5 – 10 minute wait for the drinks. I could tell she was new as she didn’t introduce herself and seemed very slow just placing down glasses of water. When she finally did take our order, just basically just looked at each of us waiting to place our orders; at one point, I had to ask her whose order she was taking as she was just looking at us with no communication whatsoever.

Shortly after that, she started taking care of a large party of at least 10 and seemed quite caught up in that which I can understand. However, I don’t think she had the proper training to handle a large party along with another table as she seemed to be over there for quite some time taking drink orders, delivering the drinks then taking the food order.

Forty minutes later, we have no food in sight. I asked the host if he could check on our food and he kind of nodded and just walked away. Just then, our food arrived and of course it some of the food was cold, including mine. (I knew it would be because the waitress seemed to be spending all of her time at the larger table). To top that off, my niece didn’t even receive her order at all.

So we had to wait for hers to come out and while I could have ordered something else or sent mine back to be reheated, I didn’t want my food zapped in a microwave nor did I want to to wait even longer for another dish…by now I am so frustrated and disappointed that I had lost my appetite.

The other three who did receive their food were not very complimentary about it, especially the pancakes which were gummy and had a strange taste – one order of pancakes wasn’t even cooked through. My husband’s plate came with a grit cake and gravy – he ordered it without the gravy yet didn’t receive the grit cake either.

By this time, nobody is happy, least of all me and my husband. We drove 90 minutes from the Charleston area to see my brother and his family, the first time we’d seen them in a year. They too took a drive to meet us there. It was not the best way to spend a holiday meal with family since nobody was happy with their meals, or at least the ones that were actually delivered.

At this point, a server told us that the entire meal would be comped. Of course, while nice, it doesn’t take away the fact that our holiday meal was ruined and that we drove all that way just to go home hungry. Yes, it was nice seeing my family and we now have a funny story since we did get to laughing at just how bad it was, but still. It should not have happened, not in a place that received so many good reviews. As for having another dinner out? It'd be pretty tough to find another place to eat that isn't already packed on a holiday or even open other than McDonald's.

Upon leaving, I did ask the server to see the Manager; turns out, the person who told us about the meal comp was the manager. I won’t go into our whole conversation but she was aware of the situation, apologized profusely and I do believe that she felt very badly. She assured me that this wasn’t a typical service and to give them another chance. She was very gracious even though earlier I had told her that the whole experience shouldn’t have happened and that there was no excuse. While I still believe that, I give her props for being caring and honest. And while of course, offering the meal at no charge was the right thing to do, it didn’t put food in our bellies or make us itching to come back. I truly hope that this was just a bad day for this restaurant.

• Visited April 2012