“Healthy food in an unexpected place”
Review of Puree Cafe - CLOSED

Puree Cafe
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We'd been in Charleston for the weekend, enjoying rich dinners, soul food, and fried oysters. We really wanted something healthy for lunch and were driving through Mount Pleasant past the Wendy's and Taco Bells - about to despair of finding anything close to a healthy restaurant. And then - Puree Cafe showed up and we were saved.
It's a small place - a cafe, and the decor is bright but bare bones. No matter. It's a haven for the folks that have felt left out: vegetarians, vegans, health nuts, and the gluten-free are tired of the same old steamed veggie plates. Maureen McNellis is an incredible chef with a great story (read about her on their website).
I had the Nori roll: seaweed & chickpea salad with sprouts, tomato, & cucumber with a sesame tamari dipping sauce for $10. Perfect late lunch food for me and delicious.
Where Puree really shined for us was for my wife, who has multiple food issues. She wanted the Bento bowl, fried tofu in a chili garlic sauce w/ brown rice over a bed of greens, shaved cucumbers, avocado, carrots, & ginger for $11, but asked for it without garlic or carrots. Not only was our server must understanding and accommodating - the chef created a whole different sauce just for this dish - sending the server back several times to check if an intended ingredient would suit my wife. The result was outstanding and we were thrilled.
I so wish Cafe Puree was in our hometown so we could frequent several times a week. Guess we just need to visit Charleston more often and make sure we pass through Mt. Pleasant so we can enjoy Cafe Puree.

Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

In beautiful Mount Pleasant but a few minutes from the beach at Sullivan's Island or the magnificence of Charleston, Pure is a pretty little cafe with outside sitting that serves some of the area's tastiest food. If you are a committed vegetarian or just a smart person who likes to stick to healthy stuff, I think you will love the food and friendly atmosphere here. Wonderful brunch and I love their falafel and crispy wrap sandwiches. Also great baked goods!

1  Thank plaidandstripe
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Phenomenal biscuits/tempeh sausage/gravy. Grilled cheese with pesto is a wonderful combination.

Really friendly and very accommodating. Excellent food and adorable setting.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

By now, most travelers expect to find good food in Charleston. Until recently there has been few offerings to appeal to vegetarians, vegans and lovers of organic, healthy food. Puree Cafe fills that gap and should be on your short list of culinary destinations in the lowcountry. Delicious and inviting. Good for singles, couples and families.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

This was our first time here and I was so excited to go to an organic restaurant. If I'm going to go out to eat it's nice to know I'm not wasting money on crappy food. I saw the Banana Bread French Toast on their facebook page and had to have it! It was very good! It was two large slices that came with some fruit for $11. My husband had the Mo Mo ‘s homemade rosemary bb-q with a side of slaw for $12. It was a little pricey but I assumed it would be as organic isn't cheap or necessarily easy to get.
The restaurant itself was adorable with coral booths, fun colored picnic tables outside, etc. It's small and homey. The people there were very happy & nice.