“Very dissapointing...”
Review of Shipyard Golf Club

Shipyard Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Shipyard Golf Club offers three nine hole courses, which can be played in three eighteen hole combinations. Each course has its own merits and difficulties, with 25 water hazards coming into play throughout the majority of the holes.Clipper Course: With plenty of sand and water hazards, the Clipper course may be the most difficult of the nines. This George W. Cobb design requires a good long game and a soft touch around the greens.Galleon Course: These original nine holes of Shipyard Golf Club meander through large oaks and tall pines. Accurate placement of approach shots into heavily guarded greens is necessary on the Galleon course.Brigantine Course:Alligators sun themselves along these scenic, water hazard filled nine holes of the Brigantine course. With slight dog-legs and well-placed bunkers, this course requires shot-making and a good short game.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is hard to believe this golf course once hosted a senior PGA event. The course is in very poor condition, tee to green. Extremely over priced. Many, many patches of open dirt on the fairway, traps not raked, greens not blown of leaves, etc. just poor, poor, poor.
It appears that maintenance is practically non existent. It is sad, as Shipyard plantation is a wonderful spot to live or vacation on Hilton Head. I wish I could extol the virtues of the the golf course, but that would just not be accurate.

1  Thank johnpeterdewitt
in 20 reviews
"brickyard"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Hubby and I played 3 times this trip. Compared to Port Royal, Shipyard comes up short. All holes under repair. A lot of the new sod is dead. Chicken wire left on the course poses a hazard for tripping. Other than Ed, staff is surly, rude or non communicative. Short staffed, to clean or carry our clubs. The ladies bathrooms on course really dirty and would benefit from a regular scrub during the day. Either the same dirty toilet bowl was there for three days, or some regulars have a huge problem. Because we’ve gone to HHI for so long, this decline has been evident but much more pronounced this year. Every staff person would benefit from customer service training including the Marshalls and the Pro shop staff. When compared to our experiences at Port Royal, it’s just so different and I know with the right attitude and training things can change for the better.

1  Thank jsdp
Kyle M, Head Golf Professional at Shipyard Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

I am sorry to hear about your experience here at Shipyard. We have been doing a bunker renovation this winter and there has been some sod work that goes along with that. The sod is certainly not dead, it is dormant right now and will grow in very quickly when the weather gets warmer. As far as the staff interactions, I would like to hear more about that. Please email me at kmcmanus@heritagegolfgroup.com.

Thanks,
Kyle McManus

Reviewed 16 March 2018

My husband and friend played two of the 3 courses today and they said it was in terrible condition - they had to play around big pieces of equipment and when they paid to play they were told there "may be some holes that we're working on". It turns out almost all 18 holes were being worked on. They should have at the very least given them a HUGE discount because of the terrible conditions they had to play on today. They paid $69/each -- unvelieveable. Their advice - play elsewhere!

2  Thank vflohr
Kyle M, Head Golf Professional at Shipyard Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear about your experience. We are in the process of doing a major renovation to the golf course to make it better and more playable. Unfortunately there are some growing pains with that. There is some new sod out there that has not grown in yet, but the tees, fairways and greens are in great shape. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

My husband & I picked a later tee time. We got in about 14 rounds before it got too dark to see our where the ball went. We had a great time. Good price. Nice place. Friendly staff.

1  Thank Jbeckham91
Kyle M, Head Golf Professional at Shipyard Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Thank you for playing with us this week. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed the golf course. I hope to see you again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Good course. Lots of water and dog legs. Much better condition than last year's reviews suggest. Some greens had places in need of repair. Greens ran smoothly and held shots. Fairways had lots of bumps and dips. Staff were friendly.
I would go back. There was no drinkable water on the course.
Restaurant had great food. Seemed expensive in menu. Very worth it when delivered.

Kyle M, Manager at Shipyard Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Thank you very much for playing with us this week. I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us at Shipyard Golf Club. We are very happy with the course conditions right now, and I am glad that you agree. We hope to see you again on your next visit.