“Wondering”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Cleveland, Ohio
“Wondering”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We have been Barony owners since 1999 and this was our third stay here. (We have traded out for time at other resorts). Usually, there are no problems at this lovely resort. This time however, we were shocked when first checking in to the room. The comforters on two of the three beds were ripped along the hems, with the hems hanging down on to the floor. The coffee table in the living room was broken around the base and was very wobbly, we could see where they had tried to hold it together with a metal bracket underneath, the screws had come out of the bracket and it was just hanging. I reported these things to the front desk and they were corrected while we were out for a bike ride. But as owners we were wondering how these details were not noticed by housekeeping and corrected. Then we discovered the toilet in the master BR loose from the floor, causing it to rock every time you got on or off of it. Also, we discovered a dirty, wet q-tip in the silverware portion of the dish drainer in the kitchen. Yikes. This last thing not reported to the desk, we just took care of it ourselves.
Now on to the positives...this is a beautiful resort in a beautiful setting. The rest of the unit we had was lovely and clean, and very comfortable. 6 adults shared the unit for a week comfortably. The pools are outstanding,we do wish they would allow adult-only use of the pool and hot tub from 10-11pm at night and maybe one hour in the am. Staff was courteous and helpful. I would recommend this resort and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Donna O
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Mooresville
Reviewed 21 June 2012 via mobile

We have been owners here since 1999 and love it. Every year they make improvements to the amenities and this year has been the most dramatic. They have added a great waterslide to the garden side unit pool along with a splash pad for the kiddies and a grilling pavilion with flat screen tv's and a fireplace for Mom and Dad. They keep the resort spotless and the units are spacious and comfortable with two bedrooms and two full baths, along with two whirlpool tubs in each unit. the staff is particularly accommodating, and make every effort to fulfill visitor's requests for villa location as best as possible. My only complaint this year, and it is minor, is that the pool now closes at sunset and my husband and I used to enjoy going for a moonlight swim which we are not able to do any more due to the change in the pool hours.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank DSE1
Augusta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I was very disappointed with The Barony Beach Club. This was our first visit to Hilton Head and The Barony. I have stayed at several Marriott resorts before and never experienced anything like this before. First, parking is a very big issue here and not conducive if you have senior family members, guest or more than one vehicle within your party. Second, the customer service that we received was not rude, however, it was apparent that they did not care either. The was a miscommunication error, the error on behalf of the Barony, and I did not feel like they cared about the celebration we had planned for the weekend. I felt somewhat harrassed by management having to give all the names of the people staying in my villa just to get a parking pass and then was told that anyone without a pass would be escorted off the property. Also asked for a late checkout and was told it would not be a problem. Checkout comes and housekeeping is there to tell me that my late checkout was not approved. I just felt like the customer service and clear communication could have been a lot better given the circumstance at hand. Poor representation for a Marriott resort. Clearly check all places before chosing to stay at the Barony.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Blondy0909
Wales UK
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We are Marriott owner's in Spain and exchanged through Interval for Barony Beach. It took 4 months approx to get the exchange through, so that's a good indication of how popular this resort is.
Barony Beach wasn't my first choice but having gone down to Harbour Town one day, I am so glad we got Barony as the location right on the beach is so good. If we ever did return, it would be Barony I would definitely request again!
Like so many other's, we requested Oceanside and had an e mail through from Zach a few days before informing us that we were in the garden villas. We obviously expected this as we do not own here. I was expecting from all the reviews a long walk to the beach and very surprised that it was literally a short walk.On numerous occasions as we were walking over to the oceanside we were asked by the driver of the courtesy cart if we wanted to have a ride over and each time we preferred to walk.
If we did go back to Barony I would request a garden villa again as I was so pleased with our villa on the 3 rd floor of the Jasmine building that got the morning sun and overlooked the pool and hot tub. In the evening it was great sitting out on the balcony overlooking the pool that was lit up. Obviously ocean front view must be great but many of the other villas on this side that just have the garden view to me appeared very shaded.
Whilst in the pool one day we did over hear a person say that they had paid to upgrade from the garden to ocean side!
I cannot say enough for the service from all the Marriott staff. On our arrival I realised as we were cooking for 8 people for a special meal for my husband's 50th birthday and I did not have a large enough roasting dish for what I was doing. Literally within minutes they delivered a very large foil tin that was perfect. We also had a dishwasher fault on the first morning and within 30 mins someone came. On both occasions a follow up call came through to us to ensure we were happy.
It was so good having the good choice of pools, and most days we used the quieter outside pool in the garden in front of the indoor pool.
We only used the poolside grill once and waited nearly an hour for our food. We didn't mind as we sat watching the tennis under the shade sipping a cold drink. However, a manager came onto us apologised for the delay and asked each member of our party to choose any drink free of charge. As these drinks came, so did our food so that was good customer care.
Again, I would highly recommend Barony Beach, it was such a special holiday for us!

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Welshcake2
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I like to sit on the balcony my final night of vacations reflect on my experience, this evening is no exception. My wife, and our 5 month daughter are wrapping up a wonderful week at Marriotts Barony Beach Club. We live in NC and own at Marriott Surf in Aruba, because of the birth of our daughter earlier in the year we decided to stay fairly close to home. We always read Trip Advisor reviews but have learned to look at the big picture of all of the reviews. I actually read a review of this property and was under the impression there were no elevators. (completely untrue) because as I mentioned in previous posts, "I wonder why some people vacation at all."
So here it is...

1st all construction in the Garden Villas and on the entire property is complete: Marriott did an amazing job, the pool which has been completely redone, landscape, water slide, grill area. Top notch, truly. For example the large gas grilling area complete w/ granite countertops outdoor sinks and 2 flat screen TV;s just in case you get bored waitng for your steaks to finish. They have also added a great "splash pad" for the kids and a waterslide that made even the adults smile.

2nd: People stop complaining about the distance to the Ocean, it is not far, Marriott does offer golf cart shuttles frequently to the beach. But I am telling you, its not necessary. 5 mins walk with beach gear and child in tow. As all Marriotts, the place is kept immaculate, the staff, ALL the staff, are incredibly helpful, friendly, wonderful. We own two top properties and because their are only 255 villas here , I knew chances of getting one in the front 4 buildings was not going to happen. If you want to be ocean front, break out your checkbook and buy here .. We were very happy with our Garden Villa in the Jasmine building. **Hats off to BArony Beach Club Concierge ZACK for call me the week prior and letting me know that they would not be able to honor my request for a front ocean room.. A little travel advise to those reading this, try killing the staff with sincere kindness instead of raising a fit that you didnt get your way. Zack, my wife and I really appreciate going above and beyond in your attempts/communication as well as giving us a great top floor room in the Garden Villas. Kindness wins everytime....

The rooms are well appointed as you would expect with Marriott Brand, great location, great beach, great vacation. Our family will return to Barony Beach again, and our continued faith in our decision to buy into the Marriott collection, you do it better than anyone else, coast to coast, country to country. I heard it from other owners on this trip and previous, with Marriott you know what your getting, whether its your home resort or traded within the Marriott Collection. There is a lot to be said for that.... Thanks again for a great week (June 1-7)

Hats off to the entire staff for making our time a special one....

Room Tip: Top floor in any building...