Waterside by Spinnaker Resorts
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Marriott's Grande Ocean(Hilton Head)
  • Fitness centre
View Hotel
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort(Hilton Head)
  • Pool
All reviewscoligny plazatime sharemain poolminute toursales pitchtwo blocksking sizebedroom unitheated poolfun weekjetted tubgrocery storefull kitchenwalking distance to the beachcheck in was easyshort walknice size
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My wife and I have stayed at Waterside several times and have always enjoyed it. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the grounds are great. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit in Building 5200 three nights this weekend. As always, the unit was very comfortable and clean. There were a lot of families there and they all seemed to be having fun. It is a great place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ron31069
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Waterside by Spinnaker is actually a very nice base for a Vacation in Hilton Head. The name suggests a resort closer to the water.... that it is not.... but you are only a short walk or bike ride away.. maybe 5mins.. the name WaterClose would be better.. take the road that runs thru the resort till you can go no further and you will reach the beach. We found that if you move further down the beach and relax in front of the Holiday Inn they have a Tiki Bar that you can refresh yourself at as needed while you relax and watch some sand volleyball... or join in if you wish.. they also have some great live music playing. The Ocean is very shallow and you can walk out a great distance while staying at the same water height. There are LifeGuards on duty.. but attitude is rife.. young whipper snappers.. and if you rent a bike which I highly recommend then you can ride along the beach at any time. Biking is a great way to see things on Hilton Head and get some lite exercise. everyone seems to do it. Our Bikes were rented from "The Bike Doctor" and they were very well maintained and fun to ride... if you dont bring your own. < rate was about $25 for the WEEK >

You are also a short walk or ride from the Coligny Shops.. <correct spellign> - I would find the Publix as it is a superior shopping experience for groceries than the Piggly Wiggly which is a little closer.. avoid Saturday night at the grocery store however... it is a zoo with all new arrivals and you would think a Hurricane was approaching.. as fast as the shelves are being stocked the staple items are going.. At Coligny there is a Greek Restaurant that is NOT TO BE MISSED.. excellent Greek Homemade specialties.. Its All Greek To Me.. is the name.. seek it out you will love it.

Back to the resort....

The rooms are well lets say.. 'dated" although the unit we had did have a flatscreen tv in the living room only.. the bedrooms had now old style tvs from the 90's. High Speed Wireless Internet worked very well BUT and this is a bug BUT - you have to sign into to it each time you want to get on.. a biit of a pain.. once a day should be good enuf.. ? The beds were very hard but sleep-able and the couch is a pullout and may have been more comfortable than the bed. The Kitchen is fully equipped but run the dishwasher during the day.. at night it is so loud it will keep you awake.. unless you think it sounds like the Ocean.. ;-) - the bathrooms are great with standup shower cubicle. Furnishings very much need an update.. but ours were very nice compared to some of the pics I have seen on here. The apts have that typical seaside musty smell which in our case was almost smoky. We bought air freshener and used it liberally. We replaced the air filter in the AC unit which was was nasty.. and also the wrong size for the unit I might add by 2in in one dimension.. so had been folded over .. which would then not make it work correctly.. shabby maintenance.. especially for people who are paying such high fees to be a timeshare owner..

which brings me to the Front Desk.. rude rude rude rude rude.. really all I can say.. once you decline the invite to the Sales Pitch meeting... then the check in persons attitude changes from Day to Night... we had also requested the possibility of an upgrade... from a 2 bedrooms <for 6> to a 3 bedroom for better privacy.. and were told sorry they are all sold out.. we would have to make do with the 2 bedroom for six people.. we never even were given the opportunity to tell them we would pay for that if we needed to.. so they lost out on extra revenue.. Being a Travel Agent myself.. I checked the availability on my own work system before I left home and they had many 3 bedrooms left.. I also checked on the internet after unpacking.. and what do you know.. there were 3 bedrooms available.. HOWEVER word to the wise.. even though we would have been willing to pay for that 3 bedroom.. we actually found that the 2 bedroom was very sufficient for 6 of us.. 2 were on the pullout in the living room.. but turned out not to be as bad as it sounded.. so save your money and use it for the vacation instead of giving it to the Resort.. and buy tons of groceries and go out for a nice dinner few nights.. or rent the bikes.. rent a sun lounger at the beach..buy cocktails at the Holiday Inn Tiki Bar.. ;-) The pool areas at the resort were well taken care of but got very busy in the afternoons.. and be aware that there WILL be many children around during school holidays.. we went to the beach...

All in all this was a great family vacation and will live in memory. I will probably look into alternate accommodations for my next visit to Hilton Head..something more Ocean Front.This is primarily based on the check in attitude of the staff as well as the location.. now the location is great... but if Waterside is what you are hoping for based on the name.. it is not.. . Seems trivial right.. ? well my feeling is if the first few moments of the trip don't live up to your expectations and the staff attitude is poor at this key point.. then what else is lacking.. my clients tell me this is a spoiler and I have to agree.. I would recommend it if you are paying a minimal cost to stay here - it is functional - fairly clean - and a good base for operations.. if you can afford a little more and be oceanfront.. go ahead..

Room Tip: Unknown - i was not given the opportunity
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank pitouareg
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Great location. (we love the middle of the island) Beach access is very easy. (Public area is very nice plus there is a easy private entrance next to the Sea Crest. Rooms are big, clean. Everything you need for a fun week. Parking enclosed. Resort area is big and clean plus groomed very well. No rift raft. Love HH. sixth time to stay. Second at Waterside. We stayed in the 5600 building which is the best for families. It is the closest to the big pool plus it has the kiddie pool adjacent to it. Out your door, down the elevator and 20 yards to the pool. (NICE) They have neat activities. Everyone is very nice. The gold package is a great deal also. Saves you about 50-75 dollars per person per day per round. I would highly recommended this resort for families. It is a timeshare resort. Just tell them no thank you and unplug the phone. Thats all we always do. Or take the time and get a free gift.

Room Tip: Specials are on their website for non owners.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ReviewsYOUcanTrust
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Our family decided to drive down to Hilton Head to take advantage of Georgia's spring break. I found Waterside reading the reviews on tripadvisor and decided to check it out because we were traveling with 3 small kids and the mother-in-law. Waterside defintely offered the best value for space out of the reviews I read. I could not find vacancy for the time I wanted -- I was traveling on odd days (Thu-Sun) because the resort usually books from Sat-Sat. However, for some reason, booking.com had availability for a 3 bedroom apartment at $260 a night and I jump in it (Directv Russian mogul reference). The drive down was nice -- basically a straight shot w/ very little traffic and few cops.

I frankly expected the place to be dated but I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Check-in was very simple and on-site and the buildings provided hotel-style moving carts to carry your bags up. We were able to haul our luggage in one trip! As other reviewers have mentioned, the decor is flat and the furniture is fairly commercial but not overly uncomfortable. It would definetely do for a week. It's odd because the units are very up to date w/ good painting and nice carpets. If the decor was just a little updated, you would think it was a 5 star place.

The grounds are nice and well manicured -- not a beautiful, striking resort but well appointed. The main pool is fairly large and nice but at that time of year, the water was freezing and the pool is not very deep. The deepest is 3' 9" and I'm 6' 3" so it was not a great match although it was good for the kids. We went instead to the heated pool, which is a short walk away, over a bridge infested by turtles that swim up to you (I guess they are used to being fed) and supposedly some gators although we did not get a glimpse. We did see a gator on the edge of the property in an adjoining canal but not in the lagoon on the property. In any event, the heated pool was nice... not warm in any way but a good bit more comfortable than the main pool. It also has a basketball hoop w/ 2 basketballs in the water to play with. The kids really enjoyed the pool and we had a good time splashing around. It was interesting to note that the pools were never crowded although I was sure most of the property was booked -- I think many folks were biking or lounging at the beach.

With respect to the beach, it's a quick 4 or 5 block walk to a beach entrance and we did it several times with the babies in a stroller and the toddler walking. The beach is not great by any means. The sand is a dark brown color so the water is not clear at all. However, what's great is that the beach is very wide and about half of the sand is compacted and hard, meaning you can play soccer, ride your bike, walk easily, etc. along the hard part. It was also windy which made for great kite flying and there were plenty out and about. I got in the water once with the kids but did not stay long. It was too cold for the kids although it was very refreshing given the heat when we were there. One interesting thing is that I spotted some fins about 100 yards our in the ocean. I thought they were sharks at first but as they kept popping back up, I figured they were dolphins... I didn't venture too far out though. Another good thing about the beach is that you can go pretty far -- it does not get deep for at least 50 yards or so.

The resort is close to a Piggly Wiggly supermarket so it's easy to stock up for the week with groceries. It's a short 2 block walk or even shorter drive. There are also a bunch of restaurants in walking distance although we didn't go to any of them. When we ventured otu to eat, we went to A Low Country Backyard, which is a phenomenal small restaurant on the island that serves local low country cuisine. We went for brunch and it was the best french toast we ever had as well as by far the best shrimp and grits we ever had. None of us like grits but the waitress insisted we try it... we loved it. it's a small quaint place that belongs on a resort island. We also met some folks from NY State while there and chatted it up... there are no friendlier people on Earth than us native New Yorkers... no doubt. We also went to eat at Roastfish and Cornbread, which is supposed to be authentic SC low country cooking. We did not enjoy it. The kids meals are not kid-friendly (who cooks a burger medium for a kid?) and the food came out cold because they were pre-cooked stuff that needed to be warmed but were not. Mother-in-law got the roasted tilapia and she said it was ok but she's had better. I don't understand the appeal of the place as it was packed and folks were waiting outside to get in. Never again.

The island itself is very nice and when the kids get older, we will return to rent some bikes and explore a bit more. Waterside is a great little gem for the money and space you get... they don't have much amenities besides the two pools (and $1 ice cream) but it's not a place meant for folks who just want to relax on the resort itself and not venture out. It's great if you are a large family that needs space, want to save cash on food costs and want to explore the island. Would definitely stay again. Oh, and free parking and wi-fi!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank AlphaMan
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Note DO NOT USE HOTEL.com to book this property. It doesn't work. Navigate to their website and call directly instead. I ended up spending an hour or more on the phone when originally booking.

We had the best time at Spinnaker. The accommodations were wonderful. Donna, the activities director, was a gem, my kids cried when they had to leave. The pool was warm and clean and the staff always cheerful. The location is great for those that don't mind a little walking, as Coligny square has everything you would need for a vacation (multitude of good restaurants, a grocery store, sundry shops, etc.) and is an easy 5 minute walk. The beach is only one block more then that.

We decided midweek to upgrade our stay for a whole week (original it was 5 nights) they gave us the weekly rate without any fuss.

We also ended up packing out in a hurry (bad timing on our part not theirs) and they ended up collecting a box of stuff for us and sent it to us by postal mail the next day. That was also very appreciated!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family