“Go for food and beer and see servers get thrown under the bus.”
Review of The Trappe door

The Trappe door
Ranked #11 of 1,009 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Belgian, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 December 2011

If you love mussels, get here early. They go fast. And think you won't find a beer you like? Think again, especially if you have a knowledgeable server.
Unfortunately, on my particular night of dining, I was given the wrong mussel order. I had ordered the mussels in a bleu cheese and bacon flavor, but was given the garlic marianade. Our waitress was pleasant but the manager sure wasn't. Without even looking at my bowl, he nodded at our waitress and said that it was the bacon and bleu. We wanted to make sure we weren't going to be charged for the wrong order. So the waitress talks to the manager again and she comes back with a small container of bacon. Quite shocked and insulted, we ask to speak to the manager, he passed our table 3 times, ignoring our call and waves to him- walking with his head down. We felt sorry for the waitress because she was certainly left having to deal with it. She comes back and says that the manager said she could take it off of our check. Interesting, I thought a manager would want to save face for his restaurant. Well, the waitress apologized as we were leaving and while the manager walked by... Again.
Recommend: any mussels, any mayo, fish and chips, beef stew, crab dip

Reviewed 30 November 2011

First thing to know is that this is a unique experience unlike anything in Greenville. As a local I almost don't want to write a review because I hate to see this place get over crowded BUT a good thing deserves a lot of support. So here goes. The food is unique and great. The beers are unique and great and the location is super cool. The location is below street level, the ceilings are low and there are no windows. That is all positive in that the feel of the place is cozy, dark, organic and warm. The red walls and furnishings and wood beams make you feel like you are in a Belgian pub...oh yeah... you are....just in Greenville. The food is genuinely Belgian: fries (fritze) with mayo, mussels, steak are all solid good. Steak sandwich at lunch is under $10 and tasty. Mussels as an appetizers are a "don't miss" and great for a larger group. Sliders are excellent. I have been here for a business lunch, dinner with two couples, dinner with 5 couples and late night drinks with a load of folks. ALL of those experiences were positive. Service was great for each very different visit (timely and accurate). Totally professional and warm staff. Beer and drinks - this is a highlight if you are a Belgian beer drinker. If you need a Bud then you are out of luck. Where to even start with the beers is tough. Lots of choices and by the time you finish testing them you will barely make it up the steps to the steet. Don't get me wrong - this is not a drunken throwdown spot - but some strong beers are on tap and must be tested! All in all this in one of my favorite Greenville spots and fits a lot of occassions. Enjoy.

1  Thank ScottMillwood
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Enjoyed our first visit to the Trappe Door, beneath Barley's Taproom on Washington St in Greenville. Has 6 sauces in which they steam the mussels. We tried the White & Bleu (belgian white ale, bleu cheese, bacon and dijon mustard) and Provencale (tomato-based with peppers, fresh herbs, garlic and black olives). I liked them both, and my wife thought the White & Bleu was fantastic. The frites came with our choice of 3 flavored mayonnaises. Felt like we were back in Belgium. And speaking of Belgium, they also offer a number of Belgian beers. These were a little pricey. We tried 2 different draft beers for $8 each, and the glasses were half head. But the atmosphere was great, the service very good, and the only place nearby for such a variety of mussels. We'll be back, but probably will buy a bottle of beer instead.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I'm a huge bourbon fan and even though this is a Belgian themed restaurant they have a good bourbon selection including Pappy Van Winkle. Also if you enjoy mussels at all they have about 6 really good different preparations that include about 40 mussels in one bowl and is also served with fries and your choice of 3 different aiolis. I go here often after work for the bourbon the most though.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I tried the lamb slider at Fall for Greenville and it was delish! There's nothing better than good quality lamb.