“Player's Treat”

River Falls Plantation
Reviewed 25 September 2015

I played the River Falls Plantation course on 9/24/15. The par 72 course is advertised as a Gary Player signature course. The course is located about 3 miles off I-85 and was easy to find.

I played the Player tees which is one of five tees available. The Player tees play to 6,520 yards with a rating of 72.0 and slope of 137. The various tees play from 6,520 yards to the Ladies tees (their designation, not mine) of 4,697 yards with a rating of 67.2 and slope of 116.

The design is excellent! The layout is not overly long, but is tight and features a lot of significant elevation changes. While the course opens with a slightly uphill par four, most of the holes seems to play more downhill. As a result of the design, this is not a course that would be easy to walk because there are many houses lining the course and significant distances between the greens and the next tees.

Every hole was different from any other and presented unique and scenic, but fair challenges. I found myself on many of the holes taking pictures of the hole or saying ‘wow, this is really pretty’. Because of how tight the holes were, this is not a course I felt comfortable trying to cut loose with big swings off the tee and instead focused on keeping the ball in play and leaving a second shot of a comfortable distance.

I found this course by doing some internet research the night before and reading reviews by other players. The pro shop attendant and starter were very friendly. The pro shop employee handed me a very detailed Course Guidebook that, in addition to my Sky Caddie, was an outstanding source of information on the design, yardages, and recommendations for shot making throughout the course.

There was cold drinking water about every four holes. I did notice only one bathroom facility located at the confluence of the cart paths coming from the 7th and the 16th holes. Although there are a lot of houses around the course, the cart paths go through a lot of wooded areas with a lot of secluded trees.

Overall Condition

The course was in excellent condition throughout all eighteen holes. All of the fairways and roughs were well tended. The greens were a little slower than I have played all year, but they were all plush, firm, void of marks, and putted truly.

I did notice that the tee boxes were very small and sometimes uneven in terms of footing.
Clubhouse/Amenities

This course has a restaurant, clubhouse, driving range, and practice green. I had no time to use the driving range or any of the other facilities. The clubhouse does have a nice porch around it from which you have a nice view of the finishing holes for each nine.

I played the course at 11:30AM at a rate of $42. I could have picked up an online tee time the night before for less money but did not do so because the weather forecast was questionable for the day with rain coming in. Fortunately, the rain drops did not start to fall until the 18th hole and only very lightly. The experience with this course made the fact that I paid more than I could have a non-issue because I got a great design, conditioning, and service in return for my money.

In summation, I felt like I had discovered a real treat by doing a little internet research the night before. I was so pleased with everything about the course that I went back into the pro shop and talked to three employees that were there to commend them on the venue.

1  Thank Aaron W