“OK bbq”

Ranked #513 of 1,080 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: South Carolina's Favorite Barbeque! Real BBQ, Cooked on our Hickory Wood-Fired Pits for 24 Hours!We cook our BBQ the old fashioned way, over hickory coals for 24 hours to optimize that smoky flavor with no preservatives or chemicals! Taste our Ribs, Chicken, & Brisket, and one of the Best Burgers in Columbia! Family Owned and Operated since 1953.
Reviewed 25 October 2017

We have been to other Maurice's and have been very happy with the food but this place leaves a lot to be desired. The sides are very limited and the place itself is just not very nice (you have to go outside to get to the bathroom) and be careful when you park on the drive up side of the restaurant as there is a rather large drop off which is kind of dangerous.
The place is very small and although clean is simply not appealing. The woman that was working (there was only one employee there) was busy and did the best she could but I was concerned that my brisket and my wife's pulled pork sandwich were each warmed up in a microwave oven which seems odd in a bbq restaurant.
We'll probably skip this stop next time

1  Thank 7oceandrive

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Maurice's is all about the BBQ, and we really liked our visit. I particularly liked the hash (over white rice) and the mustard-based chopped pork Q. It was very tasty, very fresh. Our Cole slaw was good, as were the two hushpuppies - and the little dinner roll was average (but good). Others in my party got BBQ chicken and a pulled pork BBQ sandwich - and everybody was pleased with their order.

The place was clean, the service was friendly, and the food came out quickly. Overall, we had a very good experience - and will no doubt return when n the Columbia area.

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

This is no frills BBQ, SC style. Its local. It's almost a takeout place. You order your food at the counter. They did bring it to us, but it's pretty much fast food. The quality is good though, and it's a fair amount of food. There are two major sauces, red and sweet, and mustard based. Both are excellent - just depends on your mood!

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I live approximately 90 minutes from the closest Maurice's BBQ. Anytime I visit Columbia, Maurice's BBQ is definitely first on my list of eateries. Luckily, today is going to be one of those days!

Like pizza, hot dogs, and many other foods, how one likes their BBQ varies by person, state, and region. Personally, I'm not a fan of Memphis based BBQ. Being a lover of BBQ, I will eat it (and probably enjoy it), but it's not my preference - something about the vinegar base... That said, mustard based BBQ isn't for everyone, but it is definitely worth a try!

I LOVE Maurice's pulled pork BBQ! Give it a try.

Carolyn S, General Manager at Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Thanks for your review, Anthony!

Reviewed 9 September 2016

Ordered the pork BBQ, beef brisket, and Carolina hash. Beef brisket was the best out of the three. Good flavor but a bit on the fatty side. The pork BBK was different than any other place I've had it. I would say the pork BBQ is slightly above average. However, I would recommend the pork BBQ as it is different than any other BBQ that I have had. Carolina hash was really different. More of a greasy sauce than an actual side in my opinion. It was okay and requires rice to go with it. Employees were friendly and great. Price was about average for BBQ restaurants.

1  Thank ejug

Been to Maurice's Piggie Park BBQ? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK