“Fabulous gnocchi in Columbia South Carolina, Who knew?!”

Hampton Street Vineyard
Reserve with OpenTable
Hampton Street Vineyard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,085 Restaurants in Columbia
Price range: US$ 17 - US$ 29
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main
Description: The Hampton Street Vineyard - Urban Cool Below the Sidewalk Conveniently located in the heart of downtown Columbia, across the street from the Marriott Hotel and next door to the award winning Columbia Museum of Art. Winner of Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence for 17 years, Hampton Street Vineyard features seasonal menus focusing on local products with a global interpretation. In other words, your mouth will thank you!
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

We were in Columbia to see our good friend and former colleague who’s the director of the Columbia Museum of Art. The tangential surprise of tremendous proportions was the magnificent gnocchi we enjoyed at the Hampton Street Vineyard Restaurant. A local favorite that has been awarded for its stellar wine list by no less than the international magazine Wine Advocate, finding a world class gnocchi in the capital of South Carolina came as a complete but welcome surprise. I’m writing a book, “Gnocchi I Have Gnown” that describes my world travels in search of the best gnocchi on the planet. My mother was Italian and made fabulous gnocchi. My cousins in Vicenza are blessed with the same ability. My wife too, even though she is only an honorary Italian who my Veneto cousins call “stella di cinema”, has perfected the difficult task of making great gnocchi. Located directly across the street from the Columbia Museum of Art, which is expanding and reorienting its facilities that are located in the heart of the city only blocks from the capital and Governor’s Mansion, the Hampton Street Vineyard is a charming and cozy place. The service is friendly and personable. “Gnocchi Florentine” was a delicious combination of local vegetables, heavy on the zucchini (who’s garden doesn’t produce an over abundance of that delectable green vegetable!), blistered cherry tomatoes, and creamed spinach. The gnocchi, which was heavy on the potato and welcomely so, had been pan seared before being added back to the mixture of vegetables and a light, aromatic pesto sauce. It was magnificent. On a South Carolina scale it was off the charts. On a global scale it was easily in or near the top ten of all time. Who knew?!? I could not have been more delighted, or more full. A couple of glasses of Barbera and Sangiovese made the experience all that more realistically Italian. Molto bene!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Wasn’t impressed. Average at best. Lamb chops were raw in the middle and not tender. Got the strawberry salad was bland. Would not revisit this restaurant. Everything on my plate was soaked in sauce.

2  Thank wendym761
Reviewed 20 July 2018

My wife, great aunt and I had a wonderful meal here. I was worried that it might be noisy but we had no problems hearing each other and our conversation was in no way hampered. The service was excellent and so was the food. I am a vegetarian and the gnocchi I had was delicious. My wife had some great seafood and my aunt loved the duck.

1  Thank William H
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a pleasant drink at the bar, then were seated at our reservation time. Service at the bar and table was professional, friendly, helpful. Food choices provided a good range, from steak to fish to chicken. All our orders were nicely done and presented. The extensive wine list had some pretty pricey bottles for those so inclined, but also some very reasonable and tasty alternatives. The only slight negative was the noise level, the result of enthusiastic patrons and a lot of hard surfaces.
We’ll definitely be back.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

The food was wonderful. My wife had the salmon succotash with pesto and loved the beans included. My scallops with gnocchi were outstanding. The scallops were perfectly cooked. Also had the gazpacho that was delicious. Several minor items kept the experience from being 5 star and I offer the criticism with hopes the restaurant will address and improve.

We arrived at opening to finish in time for a play. We were the second couple in an empty house and were seated next to the only other couple. And each table had its own server. Seating us with more privacy at the plentiful other tables would have been welcome. My gazpacho arrived before I finished my martini. Holding off food until after drinks and allowing for coupling with wine shows better attention to service. We did not ask to rush and never mentioned the theater. The first two bottles of Riesling I selected were not available. I ended up being charged for one of the non availables and not the wine we had. The wine prices were very reasonable and the difference minor but being out of 2 selections, to me, almost calls for a further discount. My wine glass was smeared and replaced after I pointed it out but it should have never made it to a table.

Again the food was so good, we will be back so I hope front of house attention will improve.

1  Thank EdD129