All reviews taylor street pancake machine front desk cinnamon rolls turkey sausage busy road street noise walking distance the room was nice nice place to stay staff was very friendly vista area bagels outdoor pool bathroom door visiting columbia king bed
Reviewed 9 July 2018

This is probably the cleanest best, smelling hotel I have stayed in in a LONG time ! The check-in was fast and seamless, the room was exactly as we wished with 2 QUEEN beds (not fulls). The room smelled clean and fresh. I loved the shower door (rolling barn door) the bathroom was spotless. My only small complaint was 3 sets of towels for 4 guests...but that was quickly resolved. Breakfast was good, nice variety. Great location for downtown events

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ironmomof2
Hiex C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Dear ironmomof2,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Downtown Columbia SC. The team and I were happy to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm Regards,
Stephen Ussery

Reviewed 13 June 2018

The first positive thing about this hotel was the check in. Although we arrived at 12.30 we were able to check in immediately (usual check in is at 15.00). The room was fine in terms of space and also clean. There is a good breakfast and tea/coffee is available all day in the reception area. There is also a small gym, outdoor pool and laundry facilities. When booking I knew that we were a 20 minute walk from downtown but I must admit it was very hot so the walk took a little longer. We were a short walk from Riverfront park (which has a two and half mile walk to the waterfall) where we saw a lot of wildlife. Although our room overlooked a busy junction there was no noise from the traffic thanks to the good insulation. Overall a good place to stay.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2018

You will need a car if staying here, it is not within walking distance of anything. Room was decent, a good breakfast is included. Breakfast staff are very nice and hardworking. Room was cleaned, but maids need to wear a hairnet. Kept finding black hair on counters, in the sink, bathtub etc. Hotel says they offer a Happy Hour.....you are offered wine or beer (limit 2). Wine comes in a paper cup, beer is a can of Bud Light. They need to at least upgrade to plastic cups and bottle beer. Air conditioning is noisy, but works. There are no fans in the bathroom. Causes the entire room to get humid and musty smelling.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Stayed with my friend on May 6th and 7th as we picked up my son from USC. Let's just say the nice picture in the lobby of a rounded table...how about two square tables with glass tops that have two edges cracked off creating a major hazard. I gouged my knee leaving my skin and hair on the corner. My mistake was not going to the urgent center to get stitches. Nevertheless, i urged the staff to remove the two glass tops as they are a safety hazard. Nothing. Tuesday i spoke to the Manager Katie who was rude and until i insisted a third time finally said "I'll remove them for you!" I called guest relations and emailed pictures of the table and my leg. I was supposed to get a response from the GM or owner. I didn't so i called back 3 days later. Turns out the rude manager is apparently also the GM so my complaint essentially went nowhere. It amazes me today that there would be such a disregard for the safety of guests. It also amazes me that the staff was not empowered to simply remove two very small hazardous glass tops.

If there was a child that hit that table, there would be a new owner of the hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Large, clean and well appointed rooms. A great location with the Riverside Park nearby for a run or walk, and downtown restaurants a 10 minute walk away. Free parking was a bonus. Plenty of food for breakfast but it was unfortunately either very sugary or fatty. Some simple cereals or a sugar free muesli would be amazing. Overall, very hard to fault anything else though.

Date of stay: March 2018