“Hidden Gem”
Review of Cellar on Greene

Cellar on Greene
Ranked #29 of 998 Restaurants in Columbia
Reviewed 8 April 2016

We decided to try Cellar on the Greene for a weeknight couples get together. Because the restaurant is small, and they do not take reservations, we got there early. (5:30pm). Our first surprise was that their featured wines are 1/2 price (for a bottle) on Thursday nights. Each couple ordered a bottle and what wasn't finished was corked and bagged for us to take home.

The restaurant offers a $22 three course dinner. For the price, we expected "small plates" for each course but that was not the case. The portions were generous resulting in several take home boxes. All six of us thoroughly enjoyed our food. I had the scallops, which I liked quite a bit. However, once I tasted my husband's Mahi, I regretted not ordering that.I am not a huge Mahi fan, but I will order it next time. The desserts were outstanding. We did a lot of sharing but could not come to any agreement of which was best. (Cheesecake, chocolate souffle,cheese plate, grilled pound cake or bread pudding.)

The service was very prompt, efficient and friendly. Our server (and I regret not getting her name) was extremely knowledgeable about the food and the wine and was able to accurately guide us in ordering.

Even though it started filling up as it got close to 7:00pm, we did not feel rushed to leave, but did so out of courtesy.

Cellar on the Greene is now on the top of our list of favorite Columbia restaurants.

1  Thank RunnerGirl53
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 April 2016

It may be small but what a great place. It may be a sister restaurant to two other places but it is the top one.
The wine list was terrific and had some inexpensive ones that were really good. The $22.00 for a three course dinner was outstandingly.
So worth the hunt for the location. Nice that there was valet parking !!
A fun place and yummy food.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

When I first walked in, I was a little nervous about how tiny it was, and how long we would have to wait for a Valentine's Day weekend meal. We were quoted 30 minutes, but waited maybe 15, maybe.
The menu was small but had a large range. We went for the 3 courses for $25 menu, which was fantastic. Our waitress was great, very knowledgeable about the wine selection and the menu. She never made us feel rushed and really wanted us to enjoy our time there.
The food was really flavorful. The portions look small on the plates, but I left feeling full but not stuffed (exactly the way you should when you leave a meal). The plates just look big. We finished our bottle of wine and took a breather before desert. It was nice not to have to rush.
I look forward to going back, maybe to sit at the community table :) The restaurant had a very Eurpoean feel that I so enjoyed. The total bill was a bit higher than we would usually go for a meal out, but we had no problem with it as the food was good quality and the service was great.

Reviewed 21 January 2016

Very good food and atmosphere. The dining area is small and has a lot of high top tables and a couple of community type tables where you could make some new friends.The wine list is really pretty good for Columbia with a number of reasonably priced choices.

They offer a 3 course dinner option for $22 that did not disappoint. My wife and I both had the White Bean, Tasso Ham and Kale Soup that could be a meal itself. Outstanding choice, especially on a cool rainy night. For the entree selection we had Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak and Cumin-Coriander Grilled Pork Loin. Both were outstanding and cooked perfectly. Portions are not huge which some may not like but I appreciate the reasonable portion sizes.

The great entrees were followed by some great dessert choices.We settled on the Frozen Chocolate Mousse and Chocolate-Caramel Souffle. Both were superb.

Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The prices were very reasonable for the quality of the food.

1  Thank PJL_SC
Reviewed 3 January 2016

Cellar on the Green is the second highest-rated restaurant in Columbia, SC on Trip Advisor so my wife and I had high hopes on a recent visit. It started out good too. Friendly, welcoming staff, and a good wine list. The restaurant offers a 2.5 oz (half glass) pour which I wish more restaurants offered. They offered a number of low-price wines which I did not try. The higher-priced wines that I recognized were a good selection, but priced very close to what I pay in NY. The big disappointment was the food. Yellow fin tuna nachos, very light on the tuna, heavy on nachos and peppers held together by a gummy cheese of some sort. "North Carolina Swordfish", whatever that is, was a rubbery wedge of inedible, over-cooked fish accompanied by a congealed scoop of similarly over-cooked rice. My wife's scallops were passable, but not memorable. We both had a white bean, kale, and ham soup that was quite good. We finished with a toasted pound cake which was very tasty. They offer a three course meal for $22.00, low-picked even for South Carolina. Maybe too low-priced to be able to serve top quality food. We visited on a holiday weekend. Diners who sat near us who were also suffering through their dinner suggested that perhaps the regular chef wad on vacation. I hope that is the case,

4  Thank Peter P