“Nice Surprise”
Review of Cellar on Greene

Cellar on Greene
Ranked #13 of 1,065 Restaurants in Columbia
Reviewed 21 January 2016

Very good food and atmosphere. The dining area is small and has a lot of high top tables and a couple of community type tables where you could make some new friends.The wine list is really pretty good for Columbia with a number of reasonably priced choices.

They offer a 3 course dinner option for $22 that did not disappoint. My wife and I both had the White Bean, Tasso Ham and Kale Soup that could be a meal itself. Outstanding choice, especially on a cool rainy night. For the entree selection we had Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak and Cumin-Coriander Grilled Pork Loin. Both were outstanding and cooked perfectly. Portions are not huge which some may not like but I appreciate the reasonable portion sizes.

The great entrees were followed by some great dessert choices.We settled on the Frozen Chocolate Mousse and Chocolate-Caramel Souffle. Both were superb.

Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The prices were very reasonable for the quality of the food.

1  Thank Jim P

Reviewed 3 January 2016

Cellar on the Green is the second highest-rated restaurant in Columbia, SC on Trip Advisor so my wife and I had high hopes on a recent visit. It started out good too. Friendly, welcoming staff, and a good wine list. The restaurant offers a 2.5 oz (half glass) pour which I wish more restaurants offered. They offered a number of low-price wines which I did not try. The higher-priced wines that I recognized were a good selection, but priced very close to what I pay in NY. The big disappointment was the food. Yellow fin tuna nachos, very light on the tuna, heavy on nachos and peppers held together by a gummy cheese of some sort. "North Carolina Swordfish", whatever that is, was a rubbery wedge of inedible, over-cooked fish accompanied by a congealed scoop of similarly over-cooked rice. My wife's scallops were passable, but not memorable. We both had a white bean, kale, and ham soup that was quite good. We finished with a toasted pound cake which was very tasty. They offer a three course meal for $22.00, low-picked even for South Carolina. Maybe too low-priced to be able to serve top quality food. We visited on a holiday weekend. Diners who sat near us who were also suffering through their dinner suggested that perhaps the regular chef wad on vacation. I hope that is the case,

4  Thank Peter P
Reviewed 18 December 2015

Great food, innovative and great presentation. Good three course meal for about $22. Often have special wine deals per glass so you can try several. Small place so if you want to grab a table alone go early. Fabulous grilled pound cake.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

love the pimento cheese and chips. Everything on their menu is wonderful. We used them for box lunches too.

Reviewed 28 November 2015

My husband and I were visiting Columbia for just one day and decided to try this little wine bar - and it was a great decision. Both our meals were fantastic. My husband loved the potato leek soup, and I loved the roasted beet salas (with just a touch of fennel). For entrees, I had a lamb tenderloin special, and he enjoyed the scallops. The wine list is wonderful, and dessert (frozen chocolate mousse made in-house) over the top. Since we "upgraded"'our entrees, all this was $24 each - an excellent value for a yummy dinner.

1  Thank Diane S