“I prefer smaller churches myself”

First Baptist Church
Ranked #43 of 116 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: A historic building built in 1859.
Reviewed 3 September 2015

Fine if you are into huge churches. The pastor is very good and it is televised each week. I feel like I am lost in a crowd there but they do many things for the public and people I know who belong love it. Parking is a painful experience.

Reviewed 17 March 2015 via mobile

We were out of town on a youth group trip and decided to stop for service at this church on Sunday. The church is huge and beautiful! The service is very formal, we're not used to that. They have a big choir and 3 floors of seating. The service was good, the Pastor gave a great message. It was about 1.5 hours long with 2 baptisms and baby dedications. People seemed friendly.

I LOVE that they have a whole sign language section with an interpreter. It was neat to see that. I think more churches should offer that.

Tip: dress up. Everyone was in dresses and suits. Our church is way more casual, so we wore jeans and t-shirts and we were WAY under dreessed.

Reviewed 16 December 2014 via mobile

Something South Carolina does right - Spectacular live Christmas Pageant! The entire Church congregation plays parts of this event and it is beyond AMAZING! Hallelujah! Christ has risen! Christ will come again! Hosanna in the highest! Amen! God Bless Everyone!

Reviewed 24 September 2014

The First Baptist Church in downtown Columbia has evolved into a megachurch with a large congregation and televised services at al. You don’t need to be a worshipper, however, to appreciate its architectural and historic appeals. The National Register/National Historic Landmark building (original construction 1859) features an imposing Greek Revival façade that delights the eye. The church’s role in the onset of the Civil War also makes it a magnet for history buffs. As the streetside historical marker states, a convention that met here on December 17, 1860, voted unanimously for South Carolina to secede from the United States (see marker photo).

Parking can be very problematic in the vicinity of the church. During my recent Monday afternoon visit I considered myself fortunate to find a metered space on the street just two blocks away.