“Great hotel”

Charleston Marriott
Ranked #37 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We only stayed one night here instead of the 3 we had planned, but the room was very spacious and quiet. There were some parts of the hotel that seemed to smell weird, not sure if it was the carpet or something else. The staff was very helpful and the shuttle to downtown would have been nice had we been able to stay a few days. Outdoor seating area was a neat addition since it was starting to cool down in Sept. Nice place to read or just relax and have a drink. View of the water was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water for a great view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised . A large, spacious hotel..great service, courteous, friendly staff.
Great breakfast choices, buffet or menu: (their shrimp and grits were delicious). One of the amenities is their free shuttle to downtown. Rooms were bright and clean. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jackquelynn
New England
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I arrived in Charleston for a conference a day early so I could see the sights. Unfortunately the looks of this hotel did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I was shocked this hotel has a Marriott name on the side.

The room smelled like my grandma's basement. The bathroom was dated, tile was cracked, and there was mold in the grout.

As people say, pictures speak louder than words. Check out my pictures of the room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Hawaiiantraveler66
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The hotel is just beautiful. It is decorated in the most vibrant colors. The restaurant has good food and the coffee bar is convenient. The rooms are large, immaculate and cheerful. I love the colors of the rooms. There is a well equipped gym and the pool has a tropical air about it. Everything is so well maintained.

You can take the Marriott mini bus to the historic district for $6 per person, per day. It is a bargain since parking a car in the public garages can be expensive. The mini bus leaves you off at Waterfront Park, a lovely spot, where you can catch a glimpse of dolphins on occasion. There are numerous shops, restaurants and historic sites near the park. The famed Market is just blocks away.

A family member's health issue caused us to spend three days at the Marriott. Despite the reason for our visit, the staff made our stay as pleasurable as possible. Edward Gamard, Front Desk Manager, was great. He and Alicia Giordano of the Front Desk were really helpful. They informed us that there was a free shuttle to The Medical University of SC (MUSC). This saved us a fortune in cab fare. The shuttle drivers were the best....sorry, I do not have their names, but they were so considerate. I cannot say enough about Edward and Alicia; they really are compassionate and knowlegeable...Thank you Edward and Alicia....Your kindness is appreciated.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 16 September 2012

While attending a conference in this hotel, I stayed here one night. Overall, my experience here was a good one. I didn't have any bad experiences, but the stay wasn't exceptional.

The style in most of the building is ecclectic - the style for the area, I think. I'm not a huge fan of that look but it's part of the local flavor, I guess. The room looked to have been updated about a decade ago and was in ok order. I requested a high-floor room and got an ok view looking over the parking lot to the river in the distance. I found the bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet. No loud noises from the hall or a/c system. I slept great. I did hear a person or people walking around on the floor above. Since I was on the 10th floor I was thinking maybe there was a different kind of flooring in the area above. I think it woke me up briefly, though I was in light sleep at that point.

The building worked well for the conference as it wasn't far from the airport or downtown, and had plenty of space for break-out sessions. The food prepared by the hotel was good and the staff from start to finish seemed professional and helpful.

If you are staying here you'll want to take a walk across the street to the river where you'll find docks and a gazebo. I wandered upon this and would have gone every night had I stayed longer. From the quiet marina or the gazebo you can watch the sun setting over the water. I was the only one out there which made for a very relaxing evening. At one point a dolphin surfaced about 20 feet from the end of the dock where I was sitting. For walkers there is a sidewalk that takes you past the water to a nearby college campus, I believe. I didn't check it out but it looked like a safe walk and scenic at least for a little bit.

I would likely stay somewhere else if ever in the area again, but that would have more to do with location for my needs then because of the condition of this hotel. Not a bad stay and I wouldn't be opposed to staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business