Charleston Marriott
US$ 130
Wentworth Mansion(Charleston)
US$ 464
US$ 441
Comfort Suites West of the Ashley(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$ 132
US$ 116
ComfortSuites
Best Western Charleston Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$ 115
BestWestern.com
Sleep Inn Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$ 114
Courtyard Charleston Waterfront(Charleston)(Great Value!)
US$ 209
US$ 184
US$ 515
Orbitz.com
1,189 results
All reviewsthe concierge loungeaqua terracehistoric districtshuttle servicehotel shuttleashley riverrooftop barfront desk managerfree parkingdowntown areavery nice hotelper daythird floorshort drivenice poolcomfortable roomsfolly beach
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel will suffice but it's nothing to write home about. It's a standard Marriott. It's neither old nor brand new/remodeled. The rooms are clean and comfortable but there's nothing to be excited about.

The location is about a mile and a half from downtown. A long walk or an overpriced hotel shuttle ride away (it really should be free).

There is a decent outdoor area to enjoy the weather. The pool area was nice, minus the hot tub which was empty of water.

Room Tip: Get a high floor for a nice view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BEonVacation
Reviewed 29 March 2012

To Whom it may concern,
On Thursday, Mar 1st, 2012, my wife and I had a very busy day at work. It was actually a record setter for our business. The only point that I am trying to make with that is that we both were very tired at the end of the day. We got out of work late, and then we drove the 200 miles to Charleston to the Charleston Marriot. We were even more tired by the time we got to Charleston, I believe after 11 pm but before midnight. My wife was dying for a hot soak in a tub. We got upstairs (I think room 305), threw our stuff on the bed, ran into the bathroom, and voila, there was crud all in the bottom of the tub. It was very dirty, and actually looked like some kinda fungus. I was so stunned that I did not believe a hotel at the level of the Marriot would have a dirty tub. So I threw some water on the crud, and yes it was simply crud. The water moved it. I decided not to throw up. I complained to the desk who put us into another room (321). The next morning I decided to complain to the manager, especially since out new room only had a shower, and my wife loves tubs (Now, I have a new thing I must ask hotels for in the future and that is, “Do you have a shower or tub, or a tub with a shower,” because in my travels around the world and at age 62, I have NEVER experienced a hotel that only had a shower, and no tub, although that is popular in Europe, but we are not in Europe). Never! But, before I went down to the manager, I discovered some trash on the floor. It was the collar backing and other materials for a new shirt, just laying on the floor, in the open, at the foot of the bed. A perfectly appropriate spot to try on a shirt. The point is, now, we have two things pointing to poor housekeeping in two separate rooms. I gave this to the manager who was gracious, and gave us coupons for 2 breakfast’s. In passing he asked if there was anything else he could do, and I said, yes, my wife does not like showers and if you have a room with a tub, that would be nice. After a few moments he smiled and said yes, he did , and it was close to where we were already staying. It was room 310. I was excited, and texted my wife to go to a different room when she was on break. So, I went to check out the room. Good thing. When I got within a few doors of the room I noticed the hotel had a dryer on the hall floor as it was apparently wet. There were also towels strategically placed up against a couple of room doors, and I presume to keep water from going under the doors. Well, they had the cord to the blower plugged into the room that I was just given. I walked into the room and since the bathroom is the first room off to the side when you enter, the very first thing I saw was a commode full of crap. Yes, “feces.” Not just loose stuff laying around. I was absolutely livid when I saw this. I hurriedly went back down stairs and bit my tongue (on purpose) and told the manager what I just saw, and that I would be staying put where I was. I had to bite my tongue so as not to completely lose my temper and explode into a verbal rage. By this point, it almost felt like this was on purpose, but that would not have been logical, so I brushed that thought aside, but one still feels that way, even when it gets corrected. I quickly texted my wife that we would not be moving. So, my morning was now shot, and by now, my wife is thoroughly confused as she is getting the texts all at once, and did not get them separately as I was sending them, so she was really confused. Well, later in the day, Jeanne and I decided to go out for a nice dinner and enjoy Charleston. And then of course, after a nice dinner, we had wanted to have some quiet personal time. Just as we were leaving I realized that the door wasn’t locking when you closed it. We went back into the room and called the desk, who sent a maintenance man up to repair it. I asked him to please secure the room after he fixed the door, that my wife and I were going out to dinner. No Problem. We went out, and when we got back around 9:30 I reached for the door and it was not locked, yes our room had been left exposed to whoever may have staggered into it. So again I called the desk, and again they sent a maint guy up, Same guy it turns out. He spent an hour on the door and finally it appeared to be fixed. (yeah, it was now around 10:30). Of course to add to this excitement, there is a rooftop lounge near room 321, and Holy Cow. The freaking noise is horrendous. While the guy was there fixing the door, there was a loud verbal altercation going on in the hall. After he left, my wife and I pretty much just watched TV in our angry stupor. Believe me, at this point we had lost all feelings of any quiet time just for us. But, the door held and I thought, finally. So the next morning we got up checked the door, and it held, so we went to breakfast. After breakfast we decided to take a short drive around before Jeanne’s next class. Well, on the way out of the door, it did not hold, so again I am calling the front desk. I demanded to be placed in the Courtyard Marriot, and yes I felt the front desk staff should have called and made the reservation. The receptionist sounded a bit surprised when I asked her to call and make the reservation. I am sorry, but you all, Marriot hotel, had put us out, and I mean really out by this point. A few minutes later, a room manager called and told us our last two nights were not being charged for, and he got us a room on the tenth floor. The room was ok. I say ok because I could smell the lingering aroma of cigarette smoke. It was very faint, but I could still smell it. At this point that was relatively minor. That was probably leftover smoke from when the hotel was a Sheraton, and back in those days smoking was allowed in almost all hotels/motels. It is very difficult to get rid of, although there are some paints out there that will obliterate the leftover smell. That is your problem not mine. Our problem was simply that we wanted to enjoy Charleston along with the conference, but our stay in your hotel was absolutely horrendous. So much happened to us, and I was wasting so much time just dealing with the front trying to resolve things, and then just waiting forever for all these things to be done. I got real depressed, gave up and no longer wanted to do anything but get out of the Marriot, and Charleston. Besides there was no time to do anything else but get depressed.
I could go on for hours, but let me put it simply; If you actually read this, What would any of you have done if you had gone somewhere to stay in a so called choice hotel, and all this crap happened? This was the 2nd worse hotel we have ever stayed in. The first was a Travelodge in Columbia. I would rank the Charleston Marriot pretty low on the rating scale.
One might ask, why did I wait so long to send this complaint out? I was so angry over this, that every time I sat down to write this, I would get fuming mad, my blood pressure goes up and I could only now finish this and get it out. The other side to that is that, most of the time people settle out after they have had some time to calm down. I am really really really perturbed over the way we were treated, and what we had to endure. The Charleston Marriot was on a mission to insure we had the worse stay ever in a hotel (I would not want anyone to be subjected to what we experienced), so now I am on a mission to make this as known as I can. I know that is not logical, nor does it make sense, but does any of this story make sense?
Sincerely, Don Fowler

Room Tip: I have no clue as we certainly could not get one. 4 rooms in 3 days. Of course we only stayed in 2, but for most hotels you would get one room and stay in the one room for 3 days. Concerning service; breakfast was excellent, receptionists were nice, room manager appeared to be helpful (he just could not get it right).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Don F
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Contacted Mr Fowler, apologized for the dreadful experience and explained the unfortunate pipe issue we experienced during his visit.
We are a much better service organization than what Mr & Mrs Fowler experienced and they have accepted my offer to come back in July to give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves with them as customers.
Their experience will be much better on their next visit!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Over priced small room and I was turned off by the irritation the girl at the front desk expressed to every especially when she answered how may I be of service and treat a simple request for towels as if we had asked her to grow the cotton and make them herself. The rooms were very small and the bar in the lobby over priced. Considering the amount of money we paid we also had to pay 6 dollars a day for the shuttle that travels 2 miles to the historic district. The shuttle drivers seemed tired and didn't offer the best reccomendations. If im ever in this town I will stay elsewhere.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Last minute reservation while traveling home, stopped for the night. First two rooms quite musky, third room had ac problems, fourth room ok. Staff were understanding, pleasant and tried to help satisfy us. Tried to give us an upgraded room which we didn't need or want, but it was very kind of them. Went to their rooftop bar which was a fabulous spot on the third floor. Then bartender/waitress was quite nice and left a lasting impression of her service, professionalism, friendliness, and attitude. Although we did have some problems, they were resolved and eventually we had a pleasant night's stay!

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My stay was great, the hotel grounds are scenic and relaxing. The only time we had down time on our business trip was at the hotel, so we were lucky we picked this location.