“Folly Beach Honeymooners”

The Dewberry Charleston
Ranked #10 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Several of us gave a young couple a night at this Hotel for their first night after their wedding on the beach. They had originally planned to stay at the hotel directly on the beach: Hurricane Irma necessitated other plans. In the last few weeks prior to the wedding they had to scramble for a hotel. We arranged a room at the Dewberry for them. The service was excellent, they upgraded their room and delivered our champagne and goody bag to their room. The couple loved it. Kudos to the Dewberry, and based on other reviews, I see this is consistent. They'll get my out-of-town business for sure.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
TheDewberrySC, General Manager at The Dewberry Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are so pleased to hear that your guests had such a wonderful time staying with us here at The Dewberry. We hope you will continue to be an advocate for us in the future and look forward to continuing to deliver excellent service to anyone you send our way!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Starts with the greeting by the doormen - a welcome hello upon arrival. They will take your car away for a mere $36 valet parking charge. Tremendous vibe in the lobby bar - there was a live trio on the Friday evening of my stay. Nicely appointed rooms albeit small. Nice property

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for staying at The Dewberry. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in Charleston.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed at The Dewberry with a group of friends, and found it overall quite nice. Staff was courteous and professional, and the mid-centry decor was perfection. Pros also include the living room/bar with live jazz, and the rooftop bar. Both were really fun, lively and perfect for a group of friends or couples. Rudy at the bar was awesome!

The big con was our room size - we had a grand king, and it was one of the tiniest rooms I've ever stayed in, with hotels in Manhattan included! The bathroom was roomy and nice, but otherwise my husband and I were really cramped and it was tough to have two people in the room. The closet could hold maybe 4 shirts, and the doors open and touch the bed. The couch apparently pulled out into a bed ... if that was possible, there would be literally zero floor space remaining. I expected more from a room that is supposedly the third largest option of the guest rooms. Other cons include a glitch in our room keys so we couldn't access the rooftop bar directly without going back to the lobby and finding help, and we could hear a LOT from the hallway from our room including doors slamming, people talking, etc. The Dewberry's location is also not the best - it's just OK. If you want hotel overall ambiance and care about the public spaces most, this hotel is great - but beware the tiny room size! We were disappointed in the ROI.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying at The Dewberry for your stay in Charleston. I am pleased to know that Rudy made such a memorable impression and that you overall enjoyed the living room. I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experiences with your room and your room keys. We would love to have you stay with us again so we can provide you with the normal Dewberry way of service. Next time maybe we could interest you in one of our suites that offers more space to make your stay with us more comfortable?

Reviewed 17 October 2017

The positive:

(+) The hotel is very well designed- every touch was well thought out and the mid-century modern-ish style is pulled off flawlessly.

(+) Our Charleston Flat was spacious and stunning (see pictures). The bathroom was enviable with beautiful church steeple views from the deep soaking tub. The bed was extremely comfortable.

(+) Many of those we encountered were friendly, helpful, and truly embodied the spirit of Southern hospitality that they strive for. My husband worked with the concierge prior to our arrival to arrange a floral arrangement for me in honor of a special birthday we were there celebrating. He said that the concierge (Larry, I believe) went above and beyond to make sure his needs were met.

(+) The spa is fantastic. I had a 90 minute massage and 60 minute facial on my birthday, both of which were expertly performed in a beautiful, clean, and cozy environment. I've had a number of massages and I have to say that without a doubt, the massage tables at the Dewberry are hands down the most comfortable. I can't recall if she mentioned they were waterbeds or air beds but either way, they were fabulous. The little touches in the spa made pushed the experience over the top- my robe was warmed during my massage and I was offered a heated neck wrap and cup of tea (which was delicious) while I waited for my next service.

The negative:

(-) We had a housekeeping issue that I truly do believe was an innocent mistake, but nonetheless it was stressful and hopefully a learning experience for their staff. We'd done some birthday shopping, and a few of the bags were left near the armoire and apparently mistaken for trash while we were out, despite not being near a trash can. Thankfully, I noticed they were missing, and long story short, housekeeping was able to track them down and return them. We were very grateful that we'd come back when we did and that the bags were recovered.

(-) At times, service felt a little bit like "who's on first". We were given conflicting information about our room between the time we arrived and that time we were given keys and conflicting information about the rooftop bar hours, for example. We'd also been told that we could use the spa facilities before our late flight to clean up and when we went there in an attempt to do so, there was no desk attendant in the 20 minutes or so we waited, so we gave up.

(-) This is a tiny detail, but electronic blinds in the Charleston Flat would have been much appreciated! I'm hoping they weren't there and we missed them!

(-) I struggled with whether to include this, but I want to contribute to a realistic expectation for others celebrating special occasions here. I've noticed many reviews have mentioned some acknowledgement in various forms of a special occasion by the staff (even as simple as a congratulations or happy birthday). As I'd previously mentioned my husband had worked with the concierge on a birthday surprise to honor the milestone, so I know that someone on staff knew we were celebrating- it would have been a thoughtful touch to make mention of it, as they clearly strive to provide over the top service. I almost think it's better to make an effort of this either consistently or not at all.

Overall, the Dewberry is beautiful, sexy, and hip. If the service is polished up just a bit more I think this has six star potential.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linger_In_The_Lovely

Thank you for choosing The Dewberry for your stay in Charleston. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the spa and your room. I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences. We strive to provide excellent service and unfortunately for your visit we fell short. I encourage you that is not the norm and we would love to have you stay with us again the next time you are in Charleston so we can provide you with excellent service the Dewberry way.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

I initially booked the Dewberry Charleston based on the rave reviews here on TripAdvisor. While I had a pleasant stay overall, but there were a few details that have left some not-so-great notes on my stay.

Located on Meeting Street, just a quick 5 minutes walk from the Charleston Visitor Center (where you can find bus tours of the city and all sorts of visitor information) and directly across from Calhoun Park, the Dewberry Charleston is a (1.5 year old) new hotel with semi mid-century furnishings. The address is on Meeting Street, but the entrance to the hotel is actually on Charlotte Street. Valet is $36 overnight or you can park anywhere that is available. Most parkings in the area are metered so it can get expensive if you are parking for a long period of time.

We were greeted right away by both the valet and hotel staff, they were friendly and courteous. Check-in process was flawless and the staff walked us up to our room. We booked a Grand Queen room, the pictures looked beautiful but I am a little disappointed to say the real thing is a little less so because the way it's furnished was a bit weird: instead of night stands, there were two tiny side tables that aren't exactly functional as it doesn't hold much; a small "dining" table that can only hold meal for one (I think a desk there instead would probably work better); the bathroom, while very gorgeous and huge, took up a lot room where if we opened the drawers in the wardrobe, it almost touches the end of the bed. Being from New York, 385 is a premium amount of space for a hotel room but unfortunately it was not reflected in the Grand Queen room design.

There is a beautiful rooftop terrace that overlooks the immediate areas. I recommend taking a glass of wine up there and relax at the end of the time; we did not get a chance to try the bar but did have two wonderful breakfasts at Henrietta's, the hotel's residence restaurant. The food was wonderfully prepared, fresh and reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, while I always wish I never have to write about the negatives, but it is what it is: for the first two mornings I've left tip for the housekeeping staff, but the third morning I did not have cash and I came back to a room where our water was not replenished (they were the first two nights), our trash was not picked up, and our sheets were not changed. I'd like to think it was not because I didn't leave a tip that morning but either way it was poor service.

The biggest drawback for me was the AC situation. I've been told my guest services that there is a set temperature range for each rooms therefore the guests cannot go out of that, in fact, you cannot even turn off the AC. Guest service had to call engineer to "unlock" my room so I can have full control over the AC panel. Never once have I stayed at a hotel (not to mention a five star) where the guests don't have control over the temperatures in our rooms. It was really strange for me. Even with the room "unlocked', the temperature never went below 75 despite me trying to set it at 70; Goes without saying it was uncomfortable when it's 88 and super humid outside. We mentioned it to guest services but issue was never resolved.

Overall I had a pleasant stay. The hotel staff (minus housekeeping) were very courteous and friendly; our meal at Henrietta was wonderful and the location is perfect: away from the noise but just a quick 5 minutes walk away from all the action.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
TheDewberrySC, General Manager at The Dewberry Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Thank you for choosing The Dewberry for your stay in Charleston. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Henrietta's and the rooftop, however, I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with your room and housekeeping. I assure you that is not normal behavior for The Dewberry and we would love to have you stay with us again in the future so we can provide you with a better experience of The Dewberry way.