“Enjoyable walking tour of the historic district with Ed”

Ed Grimball's Walking Tour of Historic Charleston
Ranked #31 of 236 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Ed Grimball is a 12th generation Charlestonian whose family settled on Edisto Island in 1682 and has been here ever since. Ed opened his walking tour business in 1996 and would consider it a privilege to personally show you his city.Your tour will explore the cracks and crevices of old, beautiful Charleston, touching on many subjects such as the Civil War, the Great Earthquake, the Preservation Movement, and our magnificent architecture. Must sees on your tour include the Four Corners of Law, the Battery, and Rainbow Row.
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife and I took the walking tour with Ed Grimball and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Ed has a charming easy going manner. He has a vast knowledge about Charleston and its history. I thought his tour was worth the money.

3  Thank Razorfish
in 12 reviews
"battery"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 4 January 2012

One of the best tours I have ever taken, anywhere. Wonderful stories, beautiful sights, and Ed makes sure to show off his city to the best of his ability.

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 1 January 2012

It's hard not to immediately fall in love with Ed's slow southern drawl, charm, and gentlemanly manners. However, i do agree with the previous post that there was too little information packed into the 3-hour tour. Another poster had mentioned that he prefered his information be delivered through a fire hose. And Ed's means was more like through a garden hose. Unfortunately, we could not agree more!

My husband and I treated my parents to a 3-hour private walking tour of the city. I had high hopes and was really looking forward to learning more about Charleston than the 1-hour carriage rides that are based on a lottery system and only give you a sneak peek into that one lottery-selected locale.

Too often we would be walking with Ed in silence, when Ed should have been filling in those quiet walks with more facts or interesting stories about Charleston's past. Also, we found that the manner in which he gave the tour was not as interesting as it could have been. I hate to say it but I felt like we were more engaged with both the information and delivery of our 1-hour carriage ride than all 3 hours of Ed's tour.

That said, Ed is a magnificent gentleman, so kind...Someone that I'd love to sit on a back porch with and sip sweet tea and listen to the slow drawl of his voice.

2  Thank kweston
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Ed Grimball's walking tour is about an hour too long. The information and actual walk could easily have been delivered in less time without hurting the quality of the tour. There was a lot of discussion that had nothing to do with the history of Charleston. It is a tour guide's duty to get customers back on track for the sake of other paying customers. He is an extremely charming, sweet, gentle man but as there were no children on our particular tour, it was unnecessary to talk to us as if we were grade school students. I honestly don't mean that in a nasty way; it's just a personal preference. Therefore for my money, my style leans more towards the Tommy Dew style of walking tour (i.e.; direct and factual yet entertaining). I think the thing that bothered me more than the style and the length of time spent on the tour was the fact that in three hours, slavery was mentionned one time in passing. I know Charleston has a rich colorful history and not everything can be covered but that seemed like a bit of an oversight to me. Overall though, Ed was very knowledgeable about Charleston history.

1  Thank sandpinkshimmer
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 December 2011

If you are looking for a fun, friendly, light-hearted, educational and enjoyable walking tour in historic Charleston, this is for you. You see all the important sights from someone who clearly loves his city. He prefaces the tour with the fact that he is Southern and doesn't move or talk at a frenetic pace. He will take any questions affably, but doesn't fire-hose you with information or bring up anything inflammatory (i.e. slavery) unless you ask. He takes you past traditional sweet-grass weavers and at the end provides no-strings-attached recommendations for affordable and high-quality dining options. Even when accompanied by some annoying tourists who clearly were dragged along by their wives and were attempting to bait Ed, it was refreshing to see someone like Ed who clearly enjoys his job so much that he seemed to just bask in the sunny, quiet streets of Charleston on a beautiful Saturday morning. Watch for his amazing "sashay" as he finishes his talking point at one spot and moves the group on to another. A Charleston treasure!