Palmer's Pinckney Inn
Planters Inn(Charleston)
  • Restaurant
Lodge Alley Inn(Charleston)
View Hotel
All reviewsbombay roomequestrian roomcottage roomparisian roomcarriage companiescharleston riceb bcereal barsnarrow drivewayreturn trip from floridaenjoyed sitting on the porchgravel lotsound machineauthentic charlestonfirst flooryogurtjetted tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 April 2012

There was confusion on our room booked months in advance..it had been double booked but innkeeper was very pleasant and worked with us to have the room most people held in high regard via Trip Advisor. You must remember that this Inn is 125 yrs old..so don't expect the luxury up scale of many nicer inns/hotels. Room was clean and comfortable. I love history, so this suited me just fine. On the 1st level the 1st night...comfortable bed, really small bathroom...could use an update on bed linens. Quiet room and we rested well.2nd night we move to Bombay Room with jetted tub! It's on the front of the Inn..jetted tub was really small, but bathroom was a little larger over all. Nice experience...but will probably not chose this location again. The Inn is situated between 2 horse barns and the smell of horse urine was very strong on the 2nd floor room. If you have a sensitive nose, as I do, do not stay here..If the Inn was located in another section away from the horse barns, I probably would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend and had a wonderful time. Connie was so nice and very helpful. We stayed in the Bombay Room and it was great! Room was clean, bed was great and the sheets were so soft. We even used the fireplace. Don't pay any attention to the bad reviews.....you have to remember this home is over 100 years old. Also, it is one block from the market. If you are looking for a new hotel room with flat screen etc...then you need to go stay in the Holiday Inn, however, if you want to experience Charleston and feel like a part of history then you need to stay here. The house is right down town Charleston, one block from the market...you can't get any closer than that. We ate breakfast at the sister inn on East bay and it was wonderful. How many times in your life you can say you had breakfast at one of the homes on the Battery. Once I got home I found our Charleston prints and the house was actually painted in one of our prints!! How cool is that! I will definitely be staying here again and looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheCups
Reviewed 17 December 2011

My boyfriend and I recently went to Charleston for the first time together. We had such a wonderful time and a lot of that was due to Palmer's Pinckney Inn. The staff went out of there way to make sure we had an incredible time. We were late on our check in and they made sure we were still able to get into our room. The Equestrian room was so nice! The king bed had a mattress cover that heated up and the Jacuzzi tub was so relaxing after walking around all day. The location was also another huge plus. It was only a couple blocks away from the market and restaurants. We also went to the Palmar house ( which was gorgeous mostly because of the huge live Christmas tree and view of the battery) for breakfast each morning. The food was really great and looking out into the horizon while drinking our coffee was one my favorite memories of our vacation. We also went to the cheese and wine tasting to relax before going to eat. I would highly recommend this place to anyway! It was such a wonderful stay and experience :)

Room Tip: I would look online to see what each of the rooms provide. I know not all rooms have a shower and tub and I don't think all the beds are king size.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sloan W
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Who knew that visiting Charleston mid week in October would be such a challenge....

We were finishing plans for a trip to Nashville - Chapel Hill and the NC Outer Banks, and my beloved husband said, "I've never spent much time in the south....never been to the Carolinas. I'd love to go see Charleston." DONE! Easy, right?? NOT....

With 3 weeks until our trip, I started searching for a place to stay. We only had 2 nights, with check-out on Saturday a.m. How hard could it be??

Can you say, "impossible?" I found one place in the Historic District: Palmer's Pinckney Inn. I booked it, Danno.

We arrived LATE....around 1 a.m. Fortunately the gal in the office left our keys in an envelope taped to the outside of the office door. We had a room on the first floor (The Parisian Room), and stumbled in. It was dark and kind of eery....as we drug our luggage over to the Inn, I heard a few loud bangs in the building next door, which was a big wooden building without windows. Creepy.....

We were asleep in minutes, and woke up the next morning to explore. It turns out the Inn is right next to several barns that house both donkeys and draft horses that pull the tour carriages around the city. Hence the banging the night before.

Our room was large. Yes, the TV is tiny and ancient, but we never even turned it on. The bed was big (king) and comfy (we have a Swedish bed system at home, so beds are usually a big disappointment.....the bed in the Inn was fine) and we slept well. The lighting is, well, difficult. The bathroom is tiny, but workable.

We found the room charming, but if you are into high security, the latest ammenities and grand accoutrements in your room, keep looking. This building is ANCIENT, and the furnishings are older too. Some antique....which doesn't necessarily correspond to high quality. But it worked for us.

The location is great....heck, you can roll out of bed and onto the carriage tour! All the restaurants and shops in the historical area are within an easy walk.

Breakfast: Toast (it's great!!)

Dinner: Wow....options galore. We drove out to The Wild Olive, and loved it. Incredible food, nice atmosphere, very casual and very busy. The bar looked like a lot of fun, too! We got in so late we missed our reservation to Fig the first night, and they had no options for us to rebook the next night. Kind of glad, as we would have missed TWO.

TAKE THE CARRIAGE TOUR if you want to get the lay of the land and find out some of the history of the area. We were told the Palmetto tour was one of the best as the guides are all very well trained. We thought it was great!

And bring your walking shoes! This is definitely a park it and walk kind of town. You won't see the town from a car!

Room Tip: The stairs to the 2nd floor are a drag if you have heavy luggage. But the upper floors probably get more sunlight, which would certainly aid getting presentable in the morning....
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank migolfergirl
Reviewed 27 October 2011

After Checking in the reality hit. This was a mistake. The only good thing I can say is good location even better office staff. I agree with the other visitor, rooms are furnished in early garage sale. Even the television was a 12" tube type tv that you couldnot see due to the bad picture and the small screen. The t/p holder fell off the wall everytime it was used. The bulbs in every light were from a chandlier. The chandlier, none of the bulbs worked. The door to the room did not lock except for the keyed deadbolt . We were very dissapointed. The sheets were so frayed that they should have been tossed in the trash. The beadspread, instead of washing it, was flipped end for end to cover the dirty part. I could go on. This is a place that given the right attention to detail could have been a great stay. We were given the choice to stay at the owners other location "The Palmer House" but after visiting it (bigger version with same OLD WORN OUT furnishings) we were given our money back for the balance of our stay and moved on to other accomidations.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the "Cottage Room"
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple