“Unusual delicious local food”
Review of FIG

FIG
Ranked #16 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 75
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hasell
London, NYC
“Unusual delicious local food”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We absolutely loved our dinner at FIG, the food was absolutely delecious and the service was perfect. We didn't have a reservation but we ate at the bar which was more intimate than the main dinning room. We had excellent local oysters, soft shell crab, flounder and mini doughnuts. The cocktail menu was interesting with a make your own manhattan menu and tons of negronis. I would recommend this lovely place to friends, family and anyone visiting Charleston!

2 Thank dsgnylon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Princeton, New Jersey
“food is good!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Its better than good, it's incredible! Put it one your must go to list.

Visited March 2012
Columbia, SC
“So close to a 5 circle restaurant.”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

The meal we had a Fig’s was almost perfect. Makes me wish we would tried it a long time ago.
Wendy, our server was friendly and extremely knowledgeable on all items on the menu. She was able to answer all our questions and describe each item in detail.
The appetizers we ordered were amazingly good. I ordered the coddled sea island farm egg with stone crab. This easily could be the best appetizer I have ever eaten in my life. Rich and creamy broth, luscious bits of stone crab meat, and a perfectly cooked coddled egg. I would order this again and again. The Ricotta Gnocchi and border springs farm lamb Bolognese melted in your mouth and was perfectly balanced by a tomato lamb bolognese.
I was really looking forward to suckling pig confit, unfortunately it was not on the menu the night we were there. On the plus side they were offering a Skate wing which was dusted in cornmeal, cooked to perfection, and served over vegetables in a green garlic sauce. If you like fish, you will love this dish.
If there was a flaw to our meal, it was what the wife ordered. She was having a hard time choosing between the Lamb Steak and the sautéed soft-shell crabs. Since we both love fried soft shells but never had them sautéed it is what she got. The flavor of the dish was good, but the texture of sautéed shell was less than desirable. It was extremely chewy and not at all pleasant in the mouth. This dish alone is the reason FIG’s get a 4 circle rating instead of a 5.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Mountaineer_Steve
“Fig for you”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were not able to dine there because we had a previous reservation and they were full. We sat at the bar and had a few appetizers. We loved the small size and casual but sophisticated
feel. Wish we had time to go back and have dinner.

Visited March 2012
Portland, Oregon
“What's the Big Deal?”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Recently moved to Charleston from Seattle and am anxiously sampling the top rated restaurants here. Based on local and national reviews Fig was at the top of my list. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed.

Pros: Pleasant ambiance, laid back vibe, very friendly staff. I dined at the bar and Matt, our bartender, was friendly, energetic, knowledgable and attentive. He was quick with wine recommendations and super enthusiastic about their menu. The guy is obviously a pro. I just wish their food was as notable as Matt was.

The complientary bread and butter were flavorless. Good texture, but my reaction was, so what? It's just average bread and butter in a top rated, $30+ per entree restaurant.

I selected the pate appetizer, which Matt pointed out was from a recipe 8 years in the making. Smooth and creamy he promised. I love pate, so was especially excited to sample Chef Lata's famous version. It was smooth and creamy. But I guess it took 8 years to strip all the flavor out because this minimally presented, though generous slab, had none. The toasted, crustless, white bread served with it overwhelmed the pate and reinforced it's main flaw: it had no flavor. Note to chef: When light toast beats down your chicken liver pate go back and fix the recipe.

Ordered the Trigger fish entree. A generous portion of green crusted fish was served over finely sliced baby potatos and carrots, and small shell-in clams. The plate was also covered in a fine layer of deliciously clean tasting (vegtable?) broth. The crust? Not sure since all I tasted was seared salt.

The fish was dry, but not overdone. The texture was almost fire roasted, but the salt crust killed any hope of the flavor emerging. Oddly, the fish didn't taste send-it-back salty. It was just too salty for such a delicate dish. So I ate, but didn't really enjoy.

I skipped dessert and left. What struck me on the way back to the car was the burning sensation on my tongue. Salt burn. It's now 1:45 minutes since I left the restaurant and I'm trying to clean my palette with one of WA State's most hightly rated Cabs to no avail. The salt burn is here to stay tonight.

Given the number of wonderful restaurants I've sampled in Charleston so far (S.N.O.B., for example), I'll keep sampling and return in a few months to give Fig another try. Hopefully by then my tongue will have stopped burning.

• Visited March 2012