“Beyond wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Damascus, Maryland USA
“Beyond wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

This trip brought my daughter from San Diego and myself from Maryland to find out if she would like to relocate to Charleston. I did some research, especially using trip advisor and because of all the glowing reviews and recommendations about the conceirge, Kevin McQuade, I booked this hotel. First of all, I can't say enough wonderful things about Kevin McQuade. He planned our trip perfectly. When we arrived, our first night included a personal night time tour of Charleston. This was fabulous!!!! I can't wait to bring my husband back for this one. Did I mention that this was Kevin's day off; however, he still met us at the hotel at 9 p.m., took us on this awesome tour, and then met with us to discuss the final points of our stay. UNHEARD of! I can honestly say that if it wasn't for his expertise, we wouldn't have had such a detailed, perfect stay. He can tell you where to eat,what's the best dish at the particular restaurant of choice, and so many other "hidden treasure" experiences that will knock your socks off. OH, did I mention, my daughter fell in love with Charleston and has started the process for her relocation. THANK YOU, KEVIN! Not only Kevin, but the rest of the hotel staff went our of their way to be kind, helpful and make our stay a memorable experience. The location of this hotel was simply perfect. We are platinum Marriott members and found this to be the nicest Courtyard to date. We don't like to camp. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and the new updates made it very convenient for two women getting ready for a fabulous meal and night on the town each night. We will be returning to this hotel for years to come, without and doubt and recommending it our friends and family. My best advice is to contact Kevin in advance of your stay. He'll even do a three-way phone conference if needed, as he did for us between Charleston, San Diego, and Maryland. Over and above the call of duty!! p.s. Kevin's organization skills will blow you away. I can't explain all the details here, but trust me, you'll become a fan also. Safe travels :)

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor of the new section. We felt we didn't need the balcony because w...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TROWE39850
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear Trowe39850,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your feedback. Kevin continues to amaze all of us and he certainly went above and beyond to make your stay what sounded like an excellent adventure.

Kevin is very specific with each and every guest and he is very perceptive.

We look forward to when you return with your husband and I can guarantee you that Kevin will already have some new experiences ready for you to try.

See you soon!

John Dallas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

My wife and I were married on Friday the 20th of April and we jetted from Washington to Charleston for a quick trip before we had to hustle back to work.

This Marriott is sharp looking as it is fresh off a recent facelift from 2 years back. The rooms are comfortable, the beds, towels and sheets all superior in quality and cleanliness.

The main attraction attraction though, is the concierge Kevin McQuade. It seemed as if he would show up to work at 6am and work all the way through midnight as he is omnipresent. He shaped our itinerary towards our interests - lowcountry cooking (found at Cypress and Husk), strong flavorful coffee (Black Tap, which I highly recommend), and romantic adventure (late night walk through the lanes and back alleys South of Broad in monied Charleston).

He e-mailed the maitre d' at Husk on a lark @1:30am because we had a conflict of times for our reservation and he managed to get a response from her within 5 minutes, changing our resrvations at a restaurant where that would be unthinkable. Truthfully he is a national treasurer who has endeared himself to all Charlestonians from the looks of things. Just give the man the keys to the city.

He provided us a detailed map at every turn and even set-up a reservation for us in Savannah at the highly recommended Pink House. It did not disappoint.

Do not get sucked into the over-priced, much-hyped boutique hotels that Charleston offers. Stay at this Marriott and you will not miss out on a thing

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colinwells42
Dear Colinwells42,

You have coined a new phrase, or at least the first time I have seen it...the "mini-moon!"

We congratulate you on your wedding and we send you the very best wishes for a long and happy marriage from our team here.

We were excited to read your review and it sounded like everything came together perfectly. Kevin was once again on point and you were able to experience the sights and some of the finest restaurants that Charleston has to offer.

Come see us again to celebrate an anniversary or anytime the mood grabs you! Thank you for your business.

Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I looked at the rates for this hotel on their website before my weekend stay. At $259 per night there was no way I was going to be staying there. Went to Priceline and offered $149 for a 4-star in the historic district which was declined so I lowered my bid to a 3-star at the same $149 price and got this hotel.

At that price I was very happy. It's in a great location and the room was clean with a corner room facing Meeting St. right across from the COC arena. I think our room was actually one of the rooms that a previous reviewer was complaining about because of it's extra small size. There were only 2 of us so the size seemed fine for us. There was only a King Size bed which is all we needed. The AC cooled the room down nicely and the free internet was fast.

I enjoyed my weekend stay there even if I "DID" get the worst room in the joint!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John D, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Historic District, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear Tmynatt,

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us here in Charleston.

As well-seasoned travelers like you know, there can be nights when a good offer is available on a 3rd party opaque website. Unfortunately, you never really know which hotel you are booking through that website and why we always recommend Marriott.com to book all of your hotel visits.

That said, for our hotel, the best night to try is on Sunday night - Wednesday nights. We are not a typical Courtyard by booking pattern. Our slower nights tend to be in the first and middle of the week. Weekends are almost always sold out here and it will always be very difficult to find any deals in the entire Historic District of Charleston.

I know that you were also being tongue in cheek with the smallest room comment. All of our rooms are not all the exact same size but they are well appointed.

Thanks again for your feedback.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Nice sized newer rooms Friendly staff. Great fitness center and pool.

• Stayed April 2012
Gaithersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Had a wonderful week's stay the week of April 15th. Kevin McQuade, the concierge, was great and one of the keys to such a great week. He arranged for several tours, got us great restaurant reservations and provided much info about Charleston. Make sure to call ahead to set up a conference call with Kevin and everything will be lined up for you. The hotel was nice and everyone was very hospitable. It's conveniently located to be able to walk to most of what you will want to see in Charleston. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends