“Charming Inn!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andrew Pinckney Inn

Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
“Charming Inn!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in one of the Jacuzzi suites located in the Annex across the street from the lobby. We stayed for two nights to celebrate New Year's Eve in Charleston. The suite itself was lovely- comfortable bed, spacious sitting area, and a great bathroom with amenities. It was such a pleasure coming back to a great room after a day out in the city. Breakfast was delicious and quite plentiful. The terrace had a great set up and was just a great place to sip coffee and read a newspaper. Having said that- our room was right next to the breakfast terrace so if you want to sleep in, you might not like this room too much (you'll definitely hear the doors, elevators and people coming in and out). The location is perfect and parking was a breeze. We had such a great time!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AndrewPinckneyInn, General Manager at Andrew Pinckney Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thanks for sharing the comments of your previous stay with us at the Andrew Pinckney Inn. It is a delight to know that you found our Inn most inviting and charming. As you mentioned the Rooftop Terrace is a wonderful spot to start your morning in Charleston with our complimentary breakfast. We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,
Barry Hutto
Andrew Pinckney Inn
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This hotel is in the PERFECT place if you like to explore places on foot. Easy walking distance to all of the town! The hotel staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean and quiet. The breakfast on the 'balcony' is wonderful as the view is nice. The food was equally wonderful.

We have stayed here 3 times now and WILL return!

The worst part of the hotel is probably the parking area...but once you 'find' a spot you really never need to move the car again!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your patronage and taking the time to post comments of your many stays over the years at the Andrew Pinckney Inn. Our location definitely provides our guest with great convenience for exploring the city via foot and therefore, not having to move your vehicle whether it be to dine, shop or touring. Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Best Regards,
Barry Hutto
Bowie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

The Andrew Pinckney Inn is in a prime location in downtown Charleston. The amenities are modest, as it is an inn, not a resort, but excellent. They offer daily complimentary breakfast (I call it "continental plus", meaning not a sit-down restaurant with items made to order, but more than a few pastries). The staff is very accommodating, and made excellent recommendations for places to eat and tours to enjoy. It is an expensive town, and their pricing was more reasonable than most. In fact, it was an incredible value considering we were only in the room at night. There was so much to do that we overestimated how much time we would spend there. However, the bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. As someone who has stayed in some of the most opulent of accommodations in places around the world, this was more than satisfactory for an inn and exactly what I expected.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side closest to the check in lobby, which we suspect was the older side. Very nice...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Normandy Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We visited Charleston with friends and stayed at the Andrew Pinckney Inn for 5 nights. Our experience was wonderful; as other reviewers have mentioned, the address is ideal. Located in the historic area, we walked to museums, restaurants, shopping etc.
Our rooms were 204 and 205 on the second floor with a street view, in the building across the street from the office and both were charming and clean. This is an old Inn and the style of furnishing complements the period. We all commented on the comfort of the beds.
The roof top breakfast was more than adequate - something for everyone. The cookies and coffee served in the afternoon were a welcome treat.
We found the staff helpful and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I don't often write negative reviews but I want to send along this review so that people who go to Charleston and perhaps stay at this "hotel" will not be surprised by what they find. It appears recent reviewers also feel the same way. This is a glorified motel at 5 star hotel prices. Charleston is a very expensive place to stay and our stay was approx mid-range based on my research (about $280 a night). If I am paying this kind of rate then I think it should meet a certain level of comfort, cleanliness and service. Needless to say, I was not impressed.

We arrived via car at the hotel at about 5 pm. No one helped us with our suitcases (which would have been nice as we have an infant with us and quite a bit of luggage). I was advised that this was because the staff had just left. The young guy manning the front desk was nice and there were free cookies and juice in the small lobby and so, when we lugged our suitcases and made our way to the room, we were looking forward to what we expected to be nice rooms (as per the website). After leaving comments ahead of time advising the staff that we had a baby with us we were disappointed to find however that they put us in a very small room right next to the loud elevator and the loud drone of the pop machine. We could also easily hear people outside as we were on the ground floor and my wife could smell the smoke coming from their cigarettes. There was also not really room to put the travel crib (which they did provide after I called them the week before to ensure it was available as per their website). Whether we had a baby or not wouldn't have mattered though as the room was simply not suitable.

We asked to change rooms and the one-man staff showed us to another room on the ground floor that was bigger but had no bathtub (for bathing baby). We were also shown a room on the 2nd floor that had a door and window opening onto the lounge area where people talked and would have gathered only a few feet from where you would be sleeping. It was also a very small room. A lot of the rooms open up onto this interior square/lounge area and in this way it is sort of like a motel/B'N'B as it appears privacy is not an important detail. We ended up opting for the larger room on the ground floor near the parking lot (so we had room for baby's crib). Either choice was far from optimal. We soon found the room damp and musty as evening came. It was also dark bc there was only a small 2 foot by 1 foot window so it was hard to tell how clean it was to be honest. The carpet appeared well worn. All in all it had the feel of a basement apartment but given the choice we made we accepted it and were told by the staff that they would try to get something else for us in the morning. It did not take us long to regret our decision further however as the room became damper as the evening progressed. We also soon found out that the shower pressure was non-existent and I could not get wifi in my room (only 1 bar which did not load pages). My wife did not wash her hair during our 2 night stay for fear that she would not get the shampoo out of her hair due to the lack of any real water pressure. We were also not happy to find that the room is right next to the supply closet (which the cleaning staff - who were very nice - use at various hours of the day and night).

Next morning I went to the front desk and was treated by an older gentleman there (different from the younger guy who was there when we arrived) as though I was from another planet. No note appeared to have been made re our situation and when I made reference to some of the issues we were facing he actually said he was surprised to hear it and that many people who stay in the place actually request the room we had. I noted that although the hotel was nearly full it was obvious that no one requested our room as evidenced by the fact it was still available and that I would be surprised that people would actually request to be on the ground floor next to a parking lot.

He also advised me that he had never heard about the wifi issue and thought the showers were fine. In essence, he argued with me about what I had experienced first-hand. He told me I could leave and he would refund us for the 2nd night (we were staying 2 nights) but it was clear that there was nowhere else available at short notice and not a lot I could do. He said there was a room with a queen bed that might work but I advised him that I wanted to see it first. He said no and said that I needed to make a decision right there and then. I said I was willing to wait until the people in this other room left but he forced the issue and wanted an answer. I couldn't believe it and simply said that I would be back. I went back to the room and we simply decided to try to make the best of it. After all, there are good points: the beds are quite nice and very comfortable and the morning breakfast is also nice (albeit not the freshest stuff). The location is also as promised. Nevertheless, there was a lot lacking and I was not satisfied.

I am now home and a couple of days have gone by. I remain surprised by the level of service offered at this hotel that is more expensive that some 4 or 5 star hotels I have stayed at in NYC or Paris. People use the word "quaint" or "charming" to describe this hotel and I think that if I see that again I will just assume it means a bit run-down and lacking in modern conveniences. Perhaps this is the norm for Charleston. If it is, that would be a shame however and a big reason why I would be reluctant to visit this historic town again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family