All reviews the cottages golf cart the river steam shower screened porch top notch adult pool main building beautiful property lagoon view fire pit tree house southern charm village home sea island oysters long weekend
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had two grandparents, two parents, a two-month old infant, and a dog in a lagoon guest house suite and adjoining room. It was plenty of space and beautifully appointed. The lagoon suites have private screened porches right on the water which the ceiling fans kept tolerable even in the July heat. The pool by the River House was the quietest, and we thought the food was excellent at Octagon and Buffalo's. Canoe Club was less memorable.

Stayed: July 2018
CaseyL678, General Manager at Montage Palmetto Bluff, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear William N,

Thanks so much for the wonderful review. We're so pleased that you chose our Resort as the location for your family gathering, and we do hope this will become a family tradition for you.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

There have been some real changes since my last review. We really enjoy the ambience of the location with pretty scenery and its location half an hour from Savannah airport. Our house was beautifully decorated; we were wondering if we would enjoy our location right behind the village mini-market but it was good light which was better than the houses by the golf course and very convenient to get to. The activities were the highlight here -- kids enjoyed the shooting and archery, stand-up paddleboarding with Alexis, and we all enjoyed our river cruise with tubing with Duke. I enjoyed my massage with Ken at the spa; the price at this spa for services is unusually high but he is well trained and particularly interesting. Our real problem was in the food department; there are fewer fish items without shellfish available, especially at lunch, and we thought there should be at least one fine dining experience available without televisions or a bar scene going on around you. Octagon had salmon pretty plain at dinner and that was it. There is fish and chips at lunch but rather little fish in it. The other venues have nothing at lunch except meat items. The new venue Coles had one fish with ham and no real alternative. They offered to make us a piece of plain fish and that was it. On the plus side, Octagon at dinner had some very good vegetarian dishes and some good desserts, and the Canoe Club has upgraded its offerings with several fish items, an excellent vegetarian pasta dish and excellent desserts. Buffalo's has taken a turn for the worse at breakfast -- while the blueberry muffins are exceptional, the other items, such as the stickie buns and biscuits, were pretty awful two days in a row which was a pity since my daughter had been looking forward to the buns even before arrival which she had remembered from last time. They didn't have any smoked salmon that Sunday morning so I ate a breakfast full of carbs off the buffet which I was unhappy about. Dinner at Buffalos was excellent, our kids report, and we can all vouch for the banana pudding at Buffalo's. The kids loved the s'mores with 6 creative flavors on offer at the River House. They were gushing with joy when they came to tell us about it. Be sure and grab some good cookies at the River House porch in the afternoons and some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins at the chill out room in the spa. Three things that bothered us -- (1) it cost us over $300 to have 3 bicycles and a golf cart for a 48 hour visit. That stuff used to be free and that's a heavy cost. (2) The gym facilities are pretty small considering this place. I went to the members gym and I noticed there was no water, several of the machines were broken, and at the members pool almost all of the games were gone or unusable (corn toss gone, fussbol broken, ping pong no good balls). Those facilities are not open to hotel guests but I'd be curious to know how things are at this place for its members based on what we saw. (3) At Octagon breakfast, my wife wanted to order a $25 item from the menu and asked for a piece of toast with it. The server said yes, but $4 extra. My wife was disgusted and didn't order it at all. I ordered an $18 item and asked for a piece of pastry with it. I was told by my server that I had to order the entire pastry tray including croissant, muffin and Danish or nothing at all. I called over a manager and complained about this kind of nickel and diming and corporate-style inflexibility that really is the opposite of southern hospitality and a kind of pettiness which guests paying over $2,000 a night don't deserve. I'm on a diet and didn't want all that stuff put in front of me and wasn't asking for any freebies. The server was nice as could be but said it was the policies that she was instructed to follow. The manager apologized and gave us our whole breakfast on the house which was nice but the truth is that I get the breakfast for free anyway as an Amex platinum customer. What I really want is for the "Absolutely" attitude you get from the front desk at check-in (which doesn't mean much since nobody is asking for anything) to carry thru the rest of the resort into the food and beverage department where guests feel much better about the whole resort based on how nice you take care of them when they are dining. Instead you just get irritated and feel that the whole place is filled with corporate bean counters squeezing guests for revenue. I can just tell you that I've found Montage properties to be difficult in certain service areas in ways that I don't experience with other high-end chains and it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about that company. To end that story, the server at Octagon brought us the pastry platter: The croissant was not fresh and tasted premade, the Danish tasted like it came from prefab dough and the biscuit was terrible -- cold and stale. The jam was packaged and ordinary. A place like this, be it Buffalos or Octagon, ought to have hot biscuits to die for and interesting proprietary spreads. It should let you know that you have arrived at Montage's Southern Flagship resort. Instead, the trimmings are just super-ordinary and utterly forgettable. And that's what missing from this place. The resort's food and beverage department has some real winners within its menus but it needs real spit and polish that make a statement as well as menu items, especially at lunch, that make vegetarians and pescatarians feel welcome and we want to be able to eat a quiet dinner without a bunch of noise around us. A bit of an attitude check would also help unless they just want guests who are so rich they don't care what anything costs or what they get for their money. I spoke to a manager who said the hotel is rethinking its F&B and will roll out new things within a year. I hope they take this advice because if we can't eat enjoyably here, we'd probably not come back. By the way, the concierge Pat who in my last review was the one thing you could count on, has retired.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family

Dear 649ic,

Many thanks for the detailed review of your visit. We are indeed reviewing our food and beverage offerings, as we know there is always room for improvement. The information you shared is extremely helpful as we determine what we feel will best serve our guests. I am confident that on your next visit you will be pleased with your dining experience. In the meantime, please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

This is a throughly beautiful property, from the lodgings, to the stunning surroundings, and almost everything else: definitely 5 star.

The staff are very friendly, and they have a great text system which you can use to make requests.

Overall we had a very nice stay and may well return.

That said, there were so many annoying service issues that just got in the way of our enjoyment. Given the overall reviews for this place we may have been unlucky, or just have different expectations, although I really don’t think we’re high maintenance.

Check in was fine, although I am Iprefer elite (their loyalty program) and there was no recognition of such or any of the perks that are meant to come with it. Should not be a big deal for most folks as it’s not a very common program.

First big diassapointment was that all the restaurants were largely booked out for the 2 nights we were there. While it’s great they’re popular, maybe you should do your hotel guests a favor and let them know that in advance. In fact there was no outreach in advance which seems unusual for a property of this caliber.

The following morning, breakfast was a bit of a debacle. First we went to the market to just get some pastries, but they were all sold out before 9am. So then we got breakfast at Octogon. Again very friendly service, but very slow. Food took a long time and one of the dishes arrived cold. Coffee was never refilled without asking.

Next issue was minor but annoying... asked to be dropped off at kayaks, confirmed that when we were getting dropped off that it was the kayaks. But no it was the bike rental, and we still had a decent walk to the kayak place.

That night I reconfirmed dinner and asked that they bring a birthday dessert with a Candle for my wife and son. Got sat in the bar (although not much differentiation to the porch... but still, effectively every meal ended up being in the bar). At the end of the dinner other than asking if we wanted the dessert menu no birthday recognition arrived. Most places well below this level can manage that. Did not want to make a fuss but a pretty big disappointment given our trip was to celebrate their birthdays.

Also of note for folks into wine... the website extols their wine program and lists a prodigious wine list. This seems to have changed, the list is OK, but one quarter of the size and missing most of the interesting bottles. I realize this is a probably not a big deal to lost people, but I suspect it is a sign of a good and beverage program that has slipped from its previous standards.

There were other annoyances here and there, and I will admit when you get off to a bad start you get sensitive to minor things.

Lots to love... the grounds, the buildings, activities and more, so hopefully it all goes a bit more smoothly for you.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank bobdobilina

Dear Bobdobilina,

Thank you for the review of your recent visit. Although you enjoyed your overall experience, I appreciate you sharing information about the areas in which we didn't meet your expectations. Whether a big disappointment or a minor one, it is important for us to know about all of them. I do apologize for the lack of communication and for missing so many basic service elements. There is no excuse for this, and I have asked my department heads to do some re-training to ensure that our standards are understood and practiced by our associates at all times. I do you hope that we will have an opportunity to regain your favor on a future visit. Please feel free to call my office directly for assistance with any future reservations.

843-706-6656

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

This has to be one of the nicest and most relaxing places we’ve stayed. The level of service and attention to detail is unsurpassed. The only complaint I had was that we had booked a package that included breakfast. We had misunderstood which restaurants were a part of the deal (found out it was only one in the resort) so we ended up having to pay additional amount for breakfast. We asked if they would credit the amount back from another restaurant and they wouldn’t. Despite that I would highly recommend this resort!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kbw1977
CaseyL678, General Manager at Montage Palmetto Bluff, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Kbw1977,

Thank you for your visit to Montage Palmetto Bluff. We're so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your experience. I am disappointed, however, that we did not inform you properly about the breakfast that was included with your reservation. May I ask that you call our executive office at 843-706-6656 at your convenience to discuss that oversight and allow us to make amends.

Reviewed 30 September 2018

Montage PB is a wonderful hotel. Whether you are going for a weekend away as a couple or a family vacation, you will not be disappointed! There is so much to do in a very relaxed environment. A hidden gem!

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank Mary Shannon B

Dear Mary Shannon B,

We are grateful for your recent visit to Montage Palmetto Bluff, as well as for this lovely review. One of the goals of our company's founder is to create a "sense of place" at each of our resorts. So your description of the property as authentically southern is music to our ears. Please come back and see us again soon.