“Gross...not a place you want to take your children!”

Extended Stay America - Providence - West Warwick
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in West Warwick
Lake Placid, New York
“Gross...not a place you want to take your children!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Let's start by saying that yes, we were a bit spoiled by staying at the Springhill suites the previous two nights. Now, THAT'S a quality hotel. On our third day, we unexpectedly decided to stay one more night in RI and had already checked out of that hotel. We wanted to save money, so I scoured priceline for better rates and reviews and found Extended Stay. Now, mind you, it was only $25 cheaper than Springhill, but by this time, we were on a budget. I wished I had read the tripadvisor reviews on this place and did my research a little better. The lady at the front desk and then men in the back were very pleasant and helpful. That's where it ended. I would have complained to the front desk about our stay, but I think my pride got the best of me. I should have known that this wasn't the place for a family. Smoke filled hallways...dirty men travelling back and forth between rooms, men coming in and out of the hotel, drinking beer, dirty silverware in the kitchen, dirty rooms overall, old school tv's, and grimy carpets. Not to mention when I had trouble getting online, the front desk instructed me to call a 1-800 #, now shouldn't they be fixing my problem? Didn't I pay them to stay there? I was really skeeved out staying in this room. Oh, and no breakfast...not even a donut. Pay the extra $25 and go to Springhill Suites around the corner, for the extra you will get a clean, updated room....a suite, with two new flat screen tv's, microwave, mini fridge, desk, free WORKING wifi, an indoor pool and a fabulous continental breakfast. Extended stay is best for single men, perhaps one nighters, if you know what I mean...or partiers. It was like I was staying back in my dorm at college. YUCK! Extended Stay...you have some work to do on this place!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms...stay far away if you if have kids. Don't be fooled by the kitchenette...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Providence - West Warwick, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Providence - Airport - West Warwick. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
East Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed here 2 nights for business and was afraid to leave my room. I also worried about the safety of my car and belongings while I was at work.
The lobby was beautiful. And then I got upstairs. The hallway reeked of old food, cigarettes and marijuana. My room didn't smell.... until all of the hallway smells creeped under the door. I had to go out and buy a candle to mask the smell.
The property is being used as a week-by-week apartment complex more often than a week-long-business-stay hotel, and the clientele was sketchy, at best.
And, to top things off, I witnessed at least one drug deal.
I travel to RI weekly for business and have NEVER had a problem before.
As I wrote in the survey sent by ESH, I would rather sleep in my car than stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Heather W
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Providence - West Warwick, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Providence - Airport - West Warwick. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Travellers are raving about these West Warwick hotels

Eagleville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 September 2011

After a long drive and checking in, we found that the toilet was not operational. This made the evening quite frustrating. We felt that it was something that should've been verified before someone checks in. All other areas of the hotel were clean and the hotel served the purpose of its operations as advertised.

Staff was pleasant and the manager, Holly Arora was excellent in rectifying the situation. While the stay at that particular Extended wasn't the greatest, the manager made up for it and I would recommend Extended Stays in general having stayed in others for months at a time. The price as well was extremely reasonable for going into the Labor Day Weekend. Thank you Holly!

Room Tip: We used Hotels.com and that was extremely useful. It takes some research but worth it!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I agree with most of what was written by the previous reviewer. Generally, this is a basic no-frills hotel. That is what Extended Stay America offers. No pool. No food. No free internet. Few services. Kitchen in room is helpful if you bring your own food. Larger refrigerator, two-burner stove, microwave oven, toaster, sink, utensils, pots and pans, dishes, glasses and cups for two. We wanted two beds, but it was not available. Double bed was very comfortable. Hallway on third floor smelled like smoke. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby within one mile. Easy to get highway. Getting to Newport took about 35 minutes or so. We paid $45 for the room on Priceline. Was crowded or sold out because of the Newport Folk Festival. Much more affordable than the Newport area hotels (most sold out that weekend).

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I got a room here at a really nice price was was relatively pleased. Have been leery of Extended StayAmerica properties, but they do seem to be working to improve their properties.

Location: Surprised that its advertised as an airport hotel as it seems to be a pretty good distance from the Providence Airport. So I might shy away from the property if proximity to the airport was key. However, you are convenient to I-95 and RI-4 which offer access to other areas. The general location is commercial use with some shopping centers and fast food places around. There are some offices in the area and this would be good for accessing those companies.

Check-in: I arrived at the hotel fairly late. One thing to know about ESA properties is that they don't have a 24-hour front desk. If arriving late, you have to get on the phone in the lobby and call the night manager to get you checked in. The person on staff happened to be doing laundry behind the front desk and was available to check me in immediately. I received a decent studio with a full kitchen. My overall impression at check in was that the hotel has had some work done to it recently. So the lobby and exterior look like they have had some upgrades.

One note about my arrival was that there was probably some work crews staying at the hotel and parked their trucks in the front lot. They parked the trucks horizontally, taking away about 15 parking spaces which left little for arriving guests.

Room: This is one of the few hotels I have stay in this decade that still uses the old VingCards which are plastic cards with holes in them to open the door, It was fine, but unlike other keycards, I think you can get fined if you lose one.

The room was unspectacular but generally clean. Two double beds. Consistent with other ESAs, there was a tiny TV in the room. The bathroom was clean and spacious and the kitchen area had plenty of plates and silverware if we chose to eat in. My main complaint was the mattresses. Extremely uncomfortable and left me with a sore back in the morning. If they had to do anything, I would suggest replacing the mattresses. Honestly, if I were returning to the area, this could be a factor in choosing another hotel. On this particular stay, I was a bit squeezed as other hotels didn't have rooms available.

Service: Limited. The front desk has the Providence Journal available which is better than receiving the standard USA Today. The staff overall was pleasant and I have no complaints. There isn't a restaurant or bar at the property.

My overall impression was that the hotel looks like it has been improved but still has work to do. If you have back problems, the mattress might give you fits. However, the price was right given the lack of availability and its hard to complain. However, I would not book a long-term stay here as the sleep quality would wear on me after a while.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms scattered around the property and can smell it in the halls. Ask for something on non...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3.9 km away
Hampton Inn Coventry-Warwick Area
8.3 km away
Best Western Airport Inn

Been to Extended Stay America - Providence - West Warwick? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK