“Warm, hospitable house”
Review of The Richards

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narragansett
The Richards
Ranked #5 of 10 Narragansett B&B and Inns
Warren, Pennsylvania
“Warm, hospitable house”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Our family greatly enjoyed our stay for a week at the charming home of Nancy and Steven Richards in Narragansett near the shore. The house is located in a quiet, beautiful area, yet is conveniently close to many places of interest.

We occupied the suite with two bedrooms, a sitting room and a private bathroom; all the rooms were clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated.

The Richards are friendly, interesting people with whom we chatted often and who advised us about attractions and restaurants in the area.

Every morning, we looked forward with happy anticipation to breakfast for the delicious food prepared by Nancy and the engaging conversations led by Steven with the participation of the guests. Nancy baked a different kind of muffin each day accompanying fresh fruit as a prelude to the main dish. The publication of Nancy's cookbook is eagerly awaited.

The Richards also maintain a beautiful, inviting garden that includes a small pond with fish.

Our sixteen-year-old son was not eager to go on vacation with us but now enthusiastically looks forward to returning to the Richards' bed and breakfast in the future.

We wish to thank the Richards for a pleasant and restful vacation.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Well, the many highly positive reviews here seem to cover the accommodations, breakfast, hosts, so I will only add a little more about what my wife and I especially enjoyed. The house is charming and grounds are beautiful, and we enjoyed talking about the house and grounds with the friendly owners. The home and area have an interesting history. Also, my wife and I like taking walks, and The Richards has a quiet, very pleasant path to the shore. While there is no trail at the shore, it was easy to step from one flat rock to another so we walked a goodly distance. It was windy day when we were there and, with the waves were crashing on the big boulders, we thought it more scenic than Newport's Cliff walk (though without the most ostentatious houses at Newport.)

Room Tip: Blue room is great - - large, sunny, big bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed at The Richards the later part of August 2011. I have to say my review may be skewed for two reasons.

First, by our "over the top" experience at a B&B in Baltimore (Blue Door on Baltimore) which - as far as I'm concerned - sets the bar extremely high.

Second, my husband and I were truly offended by some rude comments by Steven Richards about the South, as he knew we are from Texas. Yet over and over he would tell us how stupid Southerners are referencing his business dealings in the South. In fact, one day he went so far as to say he would be happy if "…everything below the Mason Dixon Line were Nuked". WOW! We did notice in the days following that remark he stopped "trash talking the South" and was very pleasant. My husband suspects Nancy had a talk with him.

Having said that.... the house is an amazing historic old home made of solid granite blocks 18 inches thick (which was reassuring since we were there during Hurricane Irene). The inside is decorated tastefully and comfortably in a Colonial style. It’s off the beaten path in a seclude area, yet not remote. We found the location convenience for all our day trips: Newport, Block Island, Wakefield and of course our friends in Narragansett.
TIP: Finding The Richards was tricky even with our GPS. The only thing that helped was having looked at it on Google Maps so I kind of knew what to look for AND noting the two granite rocks flanking the entrance.

Our bedroom, the "Blue Room", was very large and quiet. We often didn't know other guests were there until seeing them at breakfast. The bedding was comfortable. The bath was huge with a soaking tub and separate shower. Our bath had an amazing view overlooking the grounds through a Dutch door unlike any I have ever seen before. The top of the door splits down the middle and opens out like a window. The only negative for the bath was an odd odor (like urine) coming from a built-in. I kept the doors closed and the problem was solved.

The house is equipped with a small old fashioned elevator probably only safe for hauling luggage upstairs and not people, but nice to have.

Cons: the bedrooms do not have locks. As a guest I would feel more assured knowing my valuables and personal items were secured behind a locked door while I am out (which was generally all day every day). But then, the owners said they never locked the front door either.

Another con: there aren’t any TVs available for guests. We like to end the day watching cable and local news to stay in touch and check on the weather. It would have been particularly nice during this stay since we had a hurricane headed up the East coast. However, Nancy Richards was very gracious and made every attempt to keep us informed on the current weather situation, and when we lost power (most of Rhode Island lost power during the hurricane) she knew which restaurants were operating off a generator, and upon returning in the evening she was right there to greet us with flashlights and lit candles so we weren’t bumping around in the dark.

Nancy's breakfasts were delicious with something new each morning. I wasn’t too keen on having a “set” time for breakfast, but found it provided a wonderful means of allowing the guests to socialize.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank OperaLady1984
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Richards in October 2011 while in town for a friend's Newport wedding. All of the B&Bs in Newport were booked, so we decided on The Richards, much to our great fortune. We stay at B&Bs every time we travel, and never have we had such congenial, laid back hosts as Nancy and Steve. (And BOY can Nancy cook! What a happy surprise!) Our hosts were such a joy to talk with. We would have stayed and chatted for hours after breakfast, had we the time!

As for the accommodations, we stayed in the Yellow Room, which was bright, sunny, and cheerful. The morning sunlight pours in through the windows, filtered by a lace curtain, and fills the room--such a lovely way to wake up! (Of course, they have light-blocking shades to pull down if you'd rather not wake with the sun.) The B&B has a path/right-of-way that leads to the ocean. We highly recommend staying at The Richards, and when you do, take a little jaunt down this path to the ocean. You won't regret either!

Room Tip: The Yellow and Blue Rooms on the back side of the house get the morning sunlight, while the Lavender...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank oceanmonkey1
Douglaston, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband and I were attending our Godsons wedding on Saturday Sept 10th. We decided to make it a mini vacation and arrived at The Richards on Wednesday. We had a wonderful experience with them and staying at their beautiful home. The room was spacious and very clean, the king bed was extremely comfy, even with my bad back. The Richards were very accomodating and friendly.
Breakfast was wonderful and we enjoyed lovely conversation with them and their other guests.
We checked out on Sunday very early and I was sorry we couldn't stay another day or two.
We would definately stay at The Richards B&B the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narragansett
1.6 km away
0.8 km away
Sheppard's Place
Sheppard's Place
#3 of 10 in Narragansett

Been to The Richards? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK