“Excellent value”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Really nice affordable hotel, will definitely come back.

Pros:
The property, rooms, pool, restaurant/breakfast area were very clean.
The location is quite good (about 10 minutes from the main attractions in Newport).
Very affordable.
Well appointed rooms (flat screen TV, 80 Channels, nice bathroom, fridge and microwave...)

Cons:
Not on the water, you will have to pay quite a bit more to be.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I recently traveled back home to pack up my fathers house and needed a place to stay for 2 weeks. Since it was such a long stay I needed something with affordable prices that wasn't going to make me nauseous. A family member of mine always use to stay here when she was in town so I decided to give it a chance and was very happy with my choice.

Check in was simple and Tim at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The room was clean when I arrived and the most I found wrong with it was a minor stain on the curtain. Through out the stay housekeeping also did a very good job of keeping the place clean. The breakfast in the morning was as good as one would expect from a free breakfast but the coffee was hot and the bagels weren't stale so it got the job done (especially with a Dunkin Donuts a block away). There is also a chili's right next door for convenient eating.

The only problem I had was that the mattress in the room wasn't very comfortable. That said it wasn't like sleeping on a board either. Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We decided to kick off a New England road trip for our Anniversary with a stay in Newport and since I'm a PCR Platinum member I of course decided to use PCR points for this stay. After driving 10 hours we were really looking forward to the Jacuzzi room I had booked for 25,000 pts (pts worth $250 value).

First off this location is now where near as central to the popular downtown/harbour area as it looks on a map which is actually 4 miles away and too far to walk and there is nothing of interest nearby so after checking in we went downtown for the afternoon and returned in the evening after a great time in Dwtn Newport and looking forward to that Jacuzzi after a long day.

We get Jacuzzi rooms probably 40 times a year so have a routine (inspection-fill&drain-wipe down) to make sure they are clean. This one looked ok on the surface but after filling it and running through a cycle it was disgustingly dirty and looked like someone washed a muddy dog in it based on the massive amount of chunks of dirty/stuff from the water jet lines that filled the tub. Disgusting and unusable. Checked the rest of the room and with the exception of the bed someone did a very poor job of cleaning it. Went to call the front desk and the phone didn't work (connection on the wall just hangs loose so random connection). A very apologetic and nice person on the front desk could not come down to look at it as they were short staffed ie (1) person on and no cleaners and no other rooms as sold out.

Sooo....the Jacuzzi was useless and we had to wipe down the room with sani-wipes that evening to use the room. So disappointed in this stay we couldn't wait to leave early and didn't even try the breakfast we paid for as creeped out on hygiene here.

Bed was comfortable, the A/C worked fine, and lots of parking but that's it for positives

Conclusion: Left a note (with my contact info) for the Manager upon check-out and also complained in a survey later that I was not pleased and denied what I had paid for but received no response for a while then suddenly I get 50% of my points back on the PCR website. If I received what I paid for i.e. safe/clean Jacuzzi and a cleaned room fine it would have been worth the 25000 pts but if I knew we had no Jacuzzi and it was a self-serve room cleaning I'd have found another hotel. Point is as a high volume client of this brand when I experience such a denial of services like this from a location I get a full refund and assurance's it won't happen again but not at this facility. I'm a big fan of IHG but next time in Newport we'll book with a competitor actually downtown and we'll never go back nor recommend to anyone given way too many issues around our first stay.

Room Tip: Unfortunately in our case...the best way to get a good room here was to stay somewhere else. Cleanin...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TM643
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

T M,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received accommodations that were unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We visited Newport and wanted to stay near downtown, but even in the off-season the Marriott wanted $179/night plus a parking fee! Luckily we discovered the Holiday Inn Express for less than half the price and only a 10-minute drive to all the main Newport sites. We were given a "king suite" which was very clean, roomy and comfortable. Staff was extremely pleasant. Our only complaint was the breakfast -- the "omelet" was stale and rubbery, and the pancake machine was broken our first morning. Stick with the "safe" options: cereal and yogurt.

Room Tip: We were near the side exit, which could be a little noisy when people were coming in and out, but ve...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eproofreader
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had a billing discrepancy with this hotel. I was quoted one price for two rooms just before Christmas and was charged a much higher price upon checkout. I was told the manager would have to look at my confirmation quote, but the manager was not available. A day later I made a call to the hotel and left a voice message which was never returned. A couple of days later, I made another call to the hotel manager and left another voice message which was never returned. I have sent two complaints via email to Holiday Inn Guest Relations and have had no response from the hotel manager. You would think in this economy that Holiday Inn would be more responsive, especially to a Priority Club Rewards, Gold member.
I have ceased doing business with Holiday inn and now stay at Marriott-owned properties and have been very happy with their hotels and guest servcies and rewards program.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you have a problem, they don;t care.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family