“Great value, excellent place to stay at Wilkes-Barre”
Review of Hillard House Inn

Hillard House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Wilkes-Barre B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 September 2011

This B&B is a great place to stay in Wilkes-Barre. We arrived late, after riding a huge storm all the way from Washington DC, and found our room very comfortable and cozy. Our hosts directed us to a good Italian restaurant nearby, and phoned ahead to make sure the kitchen stayed open for us. We had a great time over a very good breakfast the next morning, and felt like we were leaving old friends. We will certainly try to stay at Hillard house next time we travel from Virginia back to our home in Ontario, Canada.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

From the second we arrived, Gordon and Cecelia could not have done more to make us feel at home. This was a family trip -- my mother (83) and aunt (90) grew up in WIlkes Barre and had lots of questions and remembrances to share with our hosts. They were treated like VIPs. Perfect set up for us, from afternoon aperitifs, to delicious breakfasts, and a darling little elevator to help tired guests up the stairs after a full day. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stay at Bed and Breakfasts whenever I am traveling. The accommodations tend to be more comfortable than a hotel and the attention to small details to meet my needs has ALWAYS been superior to a hotel. Staying at the Hillard House in Wilkes-Barre is no exception.

Cecelia and Gordon Williams have welcomed me into their home several times when I visited family in Wilkes-Barre. I’ve always stayed in the Gold Room, but have seen the others and find they are equally appointed. Breakfast? Well, if you’ve never had Gingerbread pancakes with whipped cream and the idea of them is intriguing, you must stay here. Breakfast is always something different – you will find fresh fruit salad and the hot muffins ranging from apricot almond to strawberry coconut or banana nut…

Top it all with off street parking in a lovely neighborhood. Add a refrigerator stocked with water and soda. Free secure WiFi lets you stay connected if you want to link to the outside world. And if you wander in after a long day of being out and about, you are likely to find a tray with cheese, crackers and a carafe of wine being brought to you. Those are a few of the reasons I have stayed there more times than I can count over the past 4 years (along with the gingerbread pancakes!).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Gordon and Cecilia are a terrific couple. They stayed up late for us to check-in even though we were arriving late.

Cecilia made a fantastic breakfast with appropriate sized portions. The house is very well maintained, and we had an excellent rest here. I recommend the Hillard House for even just an overnight stay.

Stayed in the Rose Room. It was cute.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Traveling across the country, Wilkes-Barre was a good mid-point between Boston and Pittsburgh. I found Hillard House on line and it met or exceeded my expectations. Cecelia and Gordon are gracious and interesting hosts. As a solo traveler, I enjoyed meeting guests and hosts. Gordon took the time to sit and chat with me over the complimentary glass of white wine before dinner, and Cecelia gave me information on historic downtown Wilkes-Barre, dining options (highly recommend the Italian restaurant near town square!), and the history of the house. My room was spacious and comfortable, and the tiny lift up to the third floor was fun and well appreciated.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo