“Nice Campground with full hookups”

Tionesta Lake and Dam
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Tionesta
Reviewed 16 August 2017

We found Tionesta Recreation Area on Recreation.gov when looking for a long weekend getaway. The full hookup sites at the main campground are very convenient especially for as cheap as the sites were. The sites were smaller that I expected for an Army Corp of Engineers campground but they were still adequate for our camper and truck. The restrooms and showers were clean. We arrived on a Thursday and the campground was quiet but by Friday evening the place was full. Everyone including the hosts were friendly. Not as secluded as we like but very nice place none the less. There is a beach along the outflow as you come into the campground but it was closed for some reason. You could still access the water in places within the campground and at the park just outside of the campground. Tionesta was a very nice little community with a market consisting of several shops that operates Friday-Sunday. There is a truck that drives though in the evening that sells Firewood but we picked ours up on the way in. I did not have a chance to checkout the primitive sites at the outflow campground. There are a few nice trails that you can hike through the campground and up to the dam and lake. I highly recommending a canoe trip down the Allegheny River.

1  Thank tseas930

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed with friends at a campground close by and loved it. It's quiet, relaxing and just beautiful. Kayaking a must and lots of pictures!

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

We had a 40 ft 5th wheeler with full hookup. The sites are plenty long enough and spacious but not much turning area to back it in. Our water line had a leak coming from under ground. They responded quickly but could not fix it and said might be end of season before repaired. I also noticed a lot of limbs just waiting to scratch your rv especially near the dam. And yes I did notify a ranger but after 2 weeks still nothing! I would normally give this campground 5 stars but with over hanging branches ( no excuse with good maintenance) I give it only 4 !

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Enjoy a family adventure on Tionesta Lake. The lake provides a large area for boating outside of the wake area. The lake is deep and is good for water skiing, tubing or even kayaking close to shore. Camp along the lake in the wilderness on a first-come-first-serve basis. Restrooms are located beside the parking lot; otherwise, not offered around the lake. During warm, summer days during the weekends, lines can be long waiting to load and unload boats. Two boats can load/unload at the same time.

A campground is available below the dam with a few amenities offered.

Bottom Line: Great visit just be prepared to wait.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

I did not camp at this property so I do not have any information regarding camping. For an afternoon hike I did enjoy the trail to the right as you enter the park ( sorry I forgot the name ) it is clearly marked with signage. The trail is pretty well groomed, it can be a bit challenging in spots so if you have mobility issues it may not be easy for you. Also, bring the bug spray! Other than that, it is nice and peaceful and heavilly wooded

1  Thank Melvswild2015