New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Carnegie Inn & Spa

Carnegie Inn & Spa
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in State College
Naples, Florida
“Beautiful Country Inn in State College, PA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

This Inn was the perfect quiet spot to have a reception dinner for our son's wedding. Service is excellent and the decor is beautiful. Dinner was wonderful and breakfast each morning was also very very good (excellent omlets). We enjoyed being entertained by the little chipmunk on the back patio overlooking Toftrees Golf Course each morning. We came up from FL so the fall foilage was a treat to see with the crisp cool mornings. We enjoyed sitting by the fire in the evening having one of our favorite cocktails. Try the peach cosmo it is very refreshing.
We booked the inn for four days but enjoyed it so much we were able to stay two more days.
We come back to State College each year for a football game and I hope to be able to stay at the Inn again next year.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms and both were very nice and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisNaples_Florida
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel. I stayed in mid-June 2011 for two nights. I do a careful bed bug search each place I stay; it really is the most important issue to me. To be clear, I found *no* living bed bugs at this hotel, but I did find a single dead bed bug under the mattress pad of a room on the first floor. I asked for a room change, which they gave me, and searched even more carefully in the reassigned room on the second floor, and found nothing. Having found online bed bug reports for every other hotel in State College, I took my chances and stayed for two nights and had no further issues.

Were it not for that, I'd be giving this hotel an excellent rating. The included breakfast was absolutely delicious and it had character and comfort. I would suggest that the hotel management invest in bed bug wrappers for the mattresses to assure the problem doesn't become serious.

Room Tip: They were renovating when I stayed there in June 2011. I'd go for something in the new section...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AConferenceTraveler
hamco4, Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for visiting our Inn. We greatly appreciate your comments. The Carnegie Inn & Spa takes great pride in providing a clean and healthy environment for our guests and employees. Our efforts include staff and management pest identification and control training as well as routine inspections and preventative treatments from professionals. We will continue these practices to ensure that an infestation does not occur.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Our renovations are now completed at the property. We apologize for any inconvenience that this work may have caused. On your next visit, be sure to enjoy ESSpa Kozmetika, our new day spa and massage therapy facility.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I visited my niece at State College and decided to try Carnegie House based on the reviews on this website. I must say the food was delicious (appetizers with drinks at night and free breakfast omelet in the morn), however, I wasn't thrilled with my room. The furnishings were tired/worn, with stains and ink on the pink arm chair, frayed rug by couch, strange stiff bedspread and thin sheets. I had to turn/move/jiggle the batteries in the remote to work the older t.v. set from odd angles that did not work while sitting in bed. (I requested and received new batteries very quickly, but that wasn't the issue.) I really liked the bold colorful wallpapers. Fun. I guess I had high expectations for the whole experience - too bad - I wanted more polish. Staff were pleasant, but no one met us at the car to help us during the downpour. Rain galore that weekend!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ms_Steelerfan
hamco4, Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Ms. Steele,

Thank you so much for visiting with us. While we are delighted you were pleased with your dining experience, we sincerely apologize for the problems with the TV remote and the conditions in your guestroom.
The local TV cable company struggles with finding a compatible remote for our property television sets. We will contact the representative to see if something can be done to improve the device for ease of operation.
Guestroom renovations and updates are constantly being performed. We will remedy your findings either by cleaning or replacement as needed. Likewise, we will check our linen inventory for items that are in need of replacement. We currently utilize Italian bed linens in all of our guestrooms for maximum comfort.
Sorry we missed assisting you at your vehicle. We attempt to help all of our guests upon arrival if possible. We will try to be more diligent in this area, especially in inclement weather.
Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience at our property. We will use your comments to improve our service. We hope you will allow us the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Sam Glasgow
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

My wife and I have stayed here several times over the last ten years and have always enjoyed it. The rooms are large and elegantly appointed with a large bath area. The common areas are also elegant with lots of comfortable seating for reading. The inn also has a very good restaurant. The staff are friendly and helpful.

RGinTally

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Robert G
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

The Carnegie House describes itself as a boutique Inn. The description is apt. It was built in 1988 and recently renovated. There are about 22 rooms. We met another couple to celebrate a special event. Our bedrooms were well appointed and very comfortable. The entire place was very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
We had two breakfasts and two dinners. The menu for dinner had a very good range of options. The food was very well prepared.
We ended our trip with our friends with the promise that we would return to the Carnegie House because we had had such a good time.

Room Tip: Call for a room. The website did not give as many options as were actually available.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family