“We Aren't!”

Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in State College
Washington DC
“We Aren't!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This place could be so much better. It has convenience. It has a shuttle service. Those are the pluses. The service is bad in the bar and the restaurant. The are either short-staffed or the staff is over-matched by the job's requirements (and it is not like the football schedule is a secret). The food is mediocre, but the beer list is impressive. All this could be fixed by a take-no-prisoners, kick-butt General Manager. This place has such great potential. The need a staff that cares and a manager to lead them. I know there is a University nearby that may have some aspiring students looking to gain valuable experience in the hotel/restaurant industry.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am a Penn State alum, and I attended a conference at the Penn Stater this week. The conference center is fantastic! Large, accommodating, and the food is fantastic. The hotel rooms, however, were not very clean. I understand that the hotel is undergoing renovations, but you can renovate a place and still keep the physical rooms clean. My towels had makeup on them (and therefore hadn't been washed and/or replaced). The coffee mugs had a thick layer of dust on them. The toiletries in the bathroom had been used! Hopefully, this is a situation that will be remedied soon. Also good to know about this hotel is that it is not within walking distance of campus, but there are buses and shuttles that will take you to and from campus and downtown.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 3rd floor, and it was quiet with a pretty good view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was really impressed with the Penn Stater. I've eaten in their restaurant several times and have been at the facilities for conferences but this was my first time of staying at the hotel. During my stay there was remodeling going on inside.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and check in was easy.

My room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was large clean. The whole layout of the room was unique in a good way. It was interesting. Internet was available wired or wireless and the access was good and speed was good. The bed was comfortable.

The restaurant has outstanding food. I've enjoyed every visit to it. The only downside is that they really need to expand to accommodate more people comfortably. Lunch time is crowded. The variety and quality of food is great. The staff is mostly college students who are well trained and courteous. I always look forward to my meals in the restaurant.

Conference facilities are also very good.

Price was good for the quality of hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Valley Forge PA
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is my 4th or 5th stay at the Penn Stater and I have always been pleased. I was here for a conference. I also brought my daughter and her friend so they could visit town while I was in meetings. We all had a great stay. The setting is ideal for a conference but also close to the PSU campus and town.. The meeting rooms are comfortable. We had a very enthusiastic men's gospel conference next door to our conference which interfered with our sound but aside from that, no complaints. The conference food is excellent. The room was clean and comfortable. Desk staff are extremely pleasant and helpful as are the housekeeping staff. I understand that many of the staff are PSU students who major in hotel managment and hospitality. We had the opportunity to eat at the tavern in the hotel and the food was also surprisingly good and inexpensive. My daughter enjoyed the pool. You do need to take the shuttle or drive to town. Its' a little out of the way which can be a plus if you don't want parking hassles or noise but a minus if you like to be in the center of everything.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We recently stayed at the "Penn Stater" hotel. The hotel was extremely clean and comfortable. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. It is off campus. However, my family enjoyed that because it was quieter. It's only a few minutes drive from campus. We loved the Legends and the Garden restaurant. I recommend the "pretzel chicken" entree and the "Ana Banana" drink at Legends. I also recommend the french toast at the Garden restaurant. You can't go wrong staying here (top notch feel and not the top notch price)!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family