“Nice Dinner”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My spouse and I dined at Funky 'Lil Kitchen (FLK) in late June 2013. We had heard that Pottstown was not the safest area, but we felt pretty comfortable, especially on a summer night when it stayed light until 9:00 pm. We had been hearing about this restaurant for years, and when we recently heard that they were thinking about closing to open a food truck, we thought that we had better get there ASAP. The restaurant participates in the Open Table reservation system. (The restaurant is open for dinner only.) This is a BYOB establishment. The restaurant does not have its own parking lot, but there is street parking as well as a public parking lot across the street.

The restaurant space is small, and diners are seated fairly close together. The dining room is somewhat open to the kitchen, so you can see what is going on behind the scenes. Oddly, the restroom is enormous as compared to the dining room space!

The menu is very limited - perhaps four appetizers and four entrees, which is only a problem if you are a picky eater (which we are not). Our appetizers arrived quickly, and after reviewing the menu choices again, it seems that is because most of the dishes/components were prepared before guests arrived. One of us had a scallop entrée that was unbelievably tasty, and we still remember it to this day. We thought that the portions were a bit small for the prices charged (and we eat in New York City often), and the restaurant does not offer any type of bread option that would easily serve to fill the diners up a bit. The dessert menu is written on a glass bottle, which is a novel approach to presentation. The restaurant sells some organic dog treats and other unique pet items in the front corner of the restaurant.

We might return here if we found ourselves in Pottstown, but we might also try somewhere different instead.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Small, charming restaurant;
No set menu (changes every two weeks);
Actual chef in the kitchen - not line cooks;
Unusual dishes (I loved the duck tacos);
BYOB, so don't forget to pick up your favorite wine/beer;
Call ahead for reservations and that day's menu;
Review summary: PERFECTION

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We did not expect to find a restaurant of the this caliber in a tiny town like Pottstown but we were pleasantly surprised to find this gem. The decor is quirky and interesting, the staff are friendly and ooze that small town charm and the food was a step above what we expected. A seasonal menu that changed bi-weekly? Why yes, that sounds great! Clearly this is a chef who is not content to just churn out the same 20 dishes night after night and we appreciated that ambition. The menu featured some interesting combinations. Escargots and gnocchi, sausages served on goat cheese polenta with a peach chutney...these are not the type of dishes one would expect in a blue collar industrial town. I wouldn't say every dish was a perfect home run, but they were all damn good and we really appreciated the adventurous/playful style of the chef and the quality of the ingredients employed. This place is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

Two important points to note:
1)it is a small place, probably seats 30? so I would recommend a reservation
2)it is BYOB so be sure to pick up a nice bottle of wine en route

Reviewed 9 August 2013

This review is more about the dining experience than it is about the food. However, I will say a few words about the food - wonderful, perfection, fabulous, delicious - well that's more than a few but that will do. But the experience itself is what's prompting me to write this review. I have Celiac disease so sometimes eating out can be a challenge especially in restaurants that do not have a regular menu. I was a bit concerned that I'd find nothing gluten free on the menu so I called a few hours before arriving. A young woman answered and was very helpful but suggested I speak directly to the chef who wasn't there when I called. She took my number and sure enough the chef called me about an hour later and very nicely went through what he planned on serving that evening and pointed out which items would be safe for me to have. That to me goes above and beyond - I can't tell you how much I appreciated that. Sure enough I was able to enjoy a truly wonderful dinner and dessert. Then, as if that didn't already exceed my expectations, I received a call from a young woman at the restaurant about 20 minutes after leaving because we left our wine. This is a BYOB restaurant and we had finished very little of the wine we opened. She noticed that and called to see if I wanted to come back for it and said she'd keep it chilled until I did. I did not want the wine but again thought that really exemplified customer service. I've been to Funkly Lil' Kitchen before and returned because of the food. I'll definitely still go back for the food but they deserve an A+ in my book for the customer experience. Thank you Funkly Lil' Kitchen!!!

1  Thank 3hundrd
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am always in awe of Chef Michael Falcone's talent in the kitchen! Never since the restaurant opened have we ever been disappointed. Buttery escargot that melts in your mouth coupled with divine bacon and potatoes in an adorable crock. My choice of Braised duck with a delectable waffle was extraordinary. Savory and sweet combinations seem to be Michael's forte along with the unexpected and unique, balanced with farm fresh meats, produce and insanely delectable concoctions of sauces, purees, and seasonal fare. If you are lucky enough to visit while a braised short rib is on the menu, you must try it. Fork tender, the knife is provided to help push the beef onto your fork, or maybe it's just for show, b/c you won't need it to cut the meat! Desserts are always something to save a little room for or to take home for a special treat the next day. We often eat way too much to have room. My latest favorite, Peanut butter ricotta layered with fresh fruit (this time it was Blackberries). Can you say HEAVEN? I can, I thought for sure that's where I had ended up when I drove onto King Street and landed in FLK! This is a MUST taste it to believe it. Don't be shy, try the wildest thing on the menu, you won't ever be disappointed.

2  Thank Sawwhetowls2