“Clean Hotel, Nickled and Dimed per usual, Good Location”

Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Chicago, Illinois
“Clean Hotel, Nickled and Dimed per usual, Good Location”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed in this hotel in connection with a wedding. It was precisely what you would expect from a Courtyard by Marriott - clean, friendly and wow does a little breakfast sandwich and an OJ cost a lot. I also hate when they put those $2.50 waters in your room. But that's a pet peeve.

Pillows were lumpy, but bed was good. Big windows, ours overlooked a courtyard. I had a lot of work to do and the FREE Wifi was VERY fast - I was able to log into my work's system with very little delay. Also like the desk setup.

The location was perfect for what we were doing. Walked to Pirates game, walked to the wedding reception at the Heinz History Museum, walked to dinner/bars. Not bad at all.

I do question the hotel's decision to only have 2 valets working on a day where 2 sets of wedding guests in the hotel were trying to get their cars. Seems ... like a poor choice.

Lastly, I was very confused by the front desk overall. I asked a woman about a place to get my nails done nearby and she was clueless. Looked it up on Yelp (which I had already done). Thanks. And then when asking a guy about a restaurant he told me the name/address and we asked whether we should make reservations. He said yes and then handed me his master list and pointed "there's the phone number." Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I've never had a hotel make ME call the place to make a reservation. I didn't mind, it was just very strange. At a nice hotel they usually fall over themselves to do it for you! Odd.

But overall, yeah this would work for a business trip easy.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skiergirl07
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
skiergirl07,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Courtyard. We’re very pleased to have had you stay with us while attending a wedding in the area. We strive to offer the highest quality of service possible for our guests so I’m displeased that was not your impression. We adequately staff our valet department, though peak times will always present a challenge just by virtue of being downtown and the size of the curb assigned to us. We try to remind our guests to call ahead for their vehicle. Also, though we do not have a dedicated concierge desk, our desk agents do an extraordinary job filling this role, providing information on area attractions, direction and recommendations. We empower our guests with information and upon request can mediate services such as calling in dinner reservations. Thank you for your visit and your time to share your experiences with us. We hope to see you again soon,

Attentively,
Francisco Selles, General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Bridgeport, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed 2 nights after Labor day to go to a pirates game and relax with my girlfriend. Hotel was nice and close to the strip district as well as PNC park. The room was very clean and beds were comfortable. The outside courtyard on the third floor was pretty nice and even had a gas grill for guests to use.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Drew S,

Thanks for writing a review about your recent stay. Sounds like you enjoyed some great food at the Strip District, and a relaxing time at PNC Park. We're glad you chose us and that we met your needs. Please join us again and next time, if you need help with the grill, count me in, I eat pretty much anything and will even help with the clean up!

Kindest Regards,
Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

The staff at the hotel were incredibly friendly/helpful. Absolutely amazing! Although the valet service was very fast I prefer self park but the location doesn't have parking at the hotel, although I think it is available. Didn't use room service but it's for the restaurant next door and looked pretty nice. Two thumbs up.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Actonma,

Thank you for the two thumbs up!!! We have a dedicated team which works hard to exceed the expectations of our guests. Definitely join us again…

Always at your service,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I only stayed in the hotel for one night, passing through town, checking out a Pirates game, so please consider that.

First off, the room was great. Nice size, high ceilings...12 feet probably, and giant windows. The room was very clean, which is always a nice way to start. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size, shower was good as well. It also had a little nook (see picture) with a little shelf for coffee. I kind of wished the area underneath had a mini fridge.

The one slight drawback was that the floor seem to ‘creek’ when you walked around, but I think that was due to new carpet being laid down, because the room looks like it was done over recently. Not a major flaw at all.

As far as the location, it was in downtown area, near a few theaters and bars/restaurants. More importantly for my trip, it was within walking distance to PNC Park.

I also liked that the staff, after we pulled up asked if we wanted to valet or park close buy. He explained the rates, and since I was staying 1 night and not using my car during the day, he recommended a lot that was 5 dollars that was down the street.

I would definitely want to return to Pittsburgh; and this hotel specifically, perhaps for a weekend, and explore more of the city.

Room Tip: I chose a high floor when book...for no real reason at all...and was on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
­­ mjh84,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. Our team is very passionate about our beautiful city, so I hope you do join us again and allow us to help you make the most of your time in Pittsburgh. We celebrate your compliments about our facility and staff and hope other viewers will notice as well. We’ll see you soon…Go Pirates!!!

Kindest regards,
Wooster, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Close to convention center, be prepared to pay extra for being downtown. Hotel renovated a short while ago, great building, with a small (courtyard) nice but small. Rooms have 14' plus ceilings, great feeling, workout room but no pool, not really kid friendly. Mini kitchen nook with micro, fridge and of ourselves the single cup coffee maker Courtyard likes to use. Bathroom clean and well appointed with the push out shower curtain so it's not clinging to you while showering. Downsides, this Courtyard hopefully not all has gone to a pre packaged breakfast not a fresh breakfast, everything tastes like mcDonalds, actually Mikkie Ds may actually taste better. An un helpfully counter staff tells you that you can orcannot have a yogurt or orange juice with your (over priced) hot breakfast - Asa businessman, not the way I wish to be treated. The Srarbucks is a nice touch though but not enough to redeem what they have done here. My recommendation for hotel in Downtowns Pittsburg, look elsewhere if you want Bfk included and don't mind paying over the top prices

Room Tip: All rooms are good, no real bad choice, if you need a cot, make sure you reserve in advance.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Michael P,

Thank you for staying with us at Courtyard. We appreciate your feedback.

The Courtyard Bistro is part of the new Courtyard look. It offers a variety of fresh, healthy breakfast foods, along with Starbucks brand coffee. Everything is made to order, and offered a la carte...Think Panera, Au bon pain, etc... Though it is a departure from the beloved breakfast buffet, it is actually designed to give you more choices, and healthier options for business travelers on the go.

Some guests find it confusing the first time around. It comes down to two choices: you may select an entree, your choice from the pan and griddle menu or breakfast sandwhiches, with coffee or juice; or instead you may opt for 2 ready-to-go items (baked goods, yogurt, etc) with coffee or juice.

We hope you chose to visit us again.

Best regards,