“Nice property with nice amenities but understaffed”

SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Columbus, OH
“Nice property with nice amenities but understaffed”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I was a little worried about the area at first, but it is definitely an up and coming area being redeveloped. Rooms are nice and public spaces are quite pleasant; use of the connected Urban Active was a bonus. The downside: swimming pool for kids was so small I'm not sure why they bothered. 3-5 kids can play in there at once; I'd rather be told there is no pool and find one where the kids can get rid of excess energy. Other downside: there was not enough staff. Lines at the front desk. Looooooong wait for room service--one person does all the cooking and staffs the bar as well. Long wait for pillows to be brought to the room. We left our room at 9:15 am and returned at about 3:30 pm and the room had not been touched; at that point I just went to the maid in the hallway and brought her my dirty towels, etc., and exchanged them for new ones. All problems easily solved if the owners would hire a few more workers.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gefilte63
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thanks gefilte63 for taking the time to review our hotel and share your observations. All feedback is valuable to us so that we may ensure each guest has a wonderful experience. Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I will be looking into this further. Your business is important to us and I hope you’ll return and allow us the opportunity to provide you with the outstanding experience you deserve.

Justin Blair, General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 June 2012

First stay, about two year old hotel. Hotel was clean and friendly staff. Bed was a little soft, but I'm kinda picky about that. Parking was free and attached to hotel.
Good access to Walnut Street and Baum Blvd. Not too far to South Side Works (there is a Springhill Suites right at SSW). Bakery Square has potential but not a lot of stores as of June 2012.

Room Tip: Weather permitting, enjoy your breaking on the second floor patio off the lobby.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I've stayed at many hotels. This was actually my first at a Marriott, and I thought it was pretty great. Until we received a follow up bill with a mysterious $2.99 charge. The charge was for a "long distance" phone charge to a pizza joint approximately 1 mile away. I'm no stranger to hotel phone policies, however, not once in my life have I been charged for a local call. Nice try, Marriott, I'll be staying away. I called the hotel, and they explained some calls are just "long distance." Not a satisfactory explanation.

Oh, and the teenage staff? They are exceptionally rude.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LYClou
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
LYClou,
Thank you for your review of your stay. I would like to offer my apologies for the service you experienced as it does not meet the high standards of Marriott . Please know that we value all feedback. I will be addressing these matters with my team during our weekly meeting. I hope this experience doesn’t discourage you from staying with Marriott in the future; we appreciate your business and that you took the time to share your review.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 May 2012

pretty good location for the university, clean, new, free parking, king suite not a real suite, but a room divider. perfect for graduation weekend!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Bakery Square, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Travel4lifenow,
Thank you for your review and recommendation. We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your business and taking the time to share your comments.

Yours truly,
nashville,tn
Reviewed 16 May 2012

nice rooms, great staff, access to a free Urban fitness gym and great breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Roshanis,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I hope you choose our location if you are ever in the area again!