All reviews train tracks hot metal bridge within walking distance room facing the river carson st rooms are large short drive pitt campus sofa bed free shuttle staff was very friendly and helpful king suite free breakfast nice stay station square steelers game parking
Reviewed 28 September 2018

I secured a suite with a roll-in shower, two queen beds, and a sofa bed; which is a rare find. The roll-in shower did not have a built-in bench but they did supply an adjustable shower chair. The faucet controls in the shower were reachable and they supplied a small basket (secured to the grab bar) to hold shampoos and soaps. The floor of the roll-in shower has a small bump to hold the water in but we laid down a large bath towel to soak up the water that escaped.

The hotel is in great location as it is within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants nearby. What my family enjoyed is the sidewalk along the river where they could enjoy an evening stroll.

Everyone in my party enjoyed the breakfast provided each morning and the popcorn in the evening.

They do charge for parking, which is right next door. It is a bit of hassle because you must first check in and there is no street parking nearby so you will have to park in the entrance and then move your car to the lot.

Room Tip: Facing river and westside to avoid noise from train.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Second stay. Good location and reasonable rates for the city. Located just across the river from Pitt. Short drive to PNC and Heinz. Bedding needs an upgrade but rooms are clean and hotel is well kept.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2018

My family stayed two nights near the end of August. We had little need for interaction with any staff, but check in and check out went very smoothly and housekeeping was fine. Breakfast was decent with a fair variety of average quality foods. The pool and workout room were decent as well, no complaints. I had asked for a quieter room after learning at the last minute about the train tracks next to the hotel. We were accommodated on the top floor, a corner suite that was roomy, comfortable and tastefully decorated, with a very nice river view. Whether it was partly that spot, or just luck, it was indeed very quiet inside hotel itself.... Except for the train. Yup, several times each night (and I assume, during the day, although we were out a lot) the train not only trundles down the track, but toots its horn! If you're a deep and easy sleeper, or you love trains, it probably won't bother you. If you're not, it's gonna wake you up.

But by far the worst was the pull out sofa bed. I personally took the sofa bed, and it was torture. I could feel every spring digging into my back all night, it was perhaps the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on. The second night, I didn't pull out the mattress at all but just squeezed lengthwise on top of the cushions and it was a vast improvement. The quality of the sofa bed was in drastic contrast to the rest of our experience, and I implore any management who may read this review to investigate your sofa beds.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view only view to minimize train noise.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2018

My wife and I decided to take a little "mini" vacation in Pittsburgh to visit with family and friends and spent a couple nights here. I made reservations online using Marriott Rewards points and everything went off without a hitch.

Every staff member we encountered was courteous, professional and polite. The woman who handled our check-in on 8/23/18, Linda, was fantastic. She was very welcoming, accommodating, personable and professional. She made us feel like we were special guests in her place and did an exemplary job.

The room was large and had 2 windows with gorgeous views. (Pictures included) It was clean, well stocked and came with a little welcoming note from the housekeeping staff. The little kitchenette was a nice convenience and both the refrigerator and microwave were clean.

The complimentary breakfast was good, not great. But with all the great little restaurants that serve breakfast within walking distance (Waffles Incaffeinated, Bartram's Bakery, The Cheescake Factory) a pastry or 2 to tide you over is more than sufficient.

All in all, next time we want to stay in the "city", we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Property was nice in great location on the Southside but staff seemed new, not very experienced and not very accustomed to offering good customer service. Seemed disinterested and price is high, even for the Southside. Should also offer discounts for Marriott Rewards members as staff wouldn’t provide any

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank beachfamilyusa
Lindsay B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Southside Works, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I will sure your comments with our staff so that this may be utilized as a training scenario for them. Our best rates can always be found on Marriott.com and this is where you will find any discount rates that are available. Our desk staff does not always have access to match the rates that are found on the website. Some of these rates can only be found by booking online.
Your loyalty to Marriot means a lot to us and I hope that you will try us again when you are in the area. Please don't hesitate to let me know how I can assist you in the future.

Thank you!