“Great steak and rack of lamb!”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #153 of 2,394 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Price range: US$ 41 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 6th & 6th Streets
Description: What began in Chicago in 1978 is now one of the most award-winning steakhouses around. For over 30 years, Morton's The Steakhouse has been on a mission to provide "The Best Steak… Anywhere." Focusing on quality, consistency and genuine hospitality, Morton's seeks to provide not only memorable cuisine, but a memorable experience. With fresh, succulent seafood and famed USDA prime-aged steak, it's no surprise that Morton's has thrilled diners all over the world. For a glimpse of a higher standard of steakhouse, come see the legendary Morton's experience for yourself.
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Great place for special occasion - for most folks a $50plate place is not common. The food for the steaks and rack of lamb were out of this world. our side dish of asparagus was not worth it versus perhaps an appetizer. The salad was a great share and so yummy... and do not forget to get the French onion soup that was the first place to have the perfect cheese and bread. A member in our party did order the seafood cold combo that was over priced - getting one of each oyster, 1 crab leg, and really to take the time and give half of an Alaskan crab leg was the disappointment - should have cut the crab leg and gave the whole thing. Place is a darker more romantic atmosphere and no outside eating. 40years begin there they still have yummy food.
And desert if you have room was an Awesome chocolate cake - huge portion and rich for everyone at he table to share!

Reviewed 28 August 2018

We don't typically dine at steakhouses but we really enjoyed the experience. The staff was courteous but not overbearing. The food was very good. We did not like the taste of the asparagus and the server removed it from the bill without a problem. My Porterhouse was cooked perfectly and was delicious. Be sure to make reservations. We saw people being sat at the bar because they just walked in.

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Let me start by saying that Morton's is a very nice restaurant. However as I do in all of my reviews, I compare it to other restaurants in its class as it would be totally unfair to compare Morton's with let's say Eat 'n Park.

So take my comparisons in reference to the following steak houses that I have eaten at in Pittsburgh, Eddie Merlot's, Capital Grille, Hyde Park, Ditka's, Ruths Chris

Drinks - Way over priced! Wife's Mojitos did not have a muddled mint, just a sprig of mint tossed it. It also appeared that the fresh lime was also tossed in and not squeezed as the drink was perfectly clear and should have had a cloudy appearance. She is a Mojito aficionado! She sent it back and they did offer to make a new one, she declined and they removed it from the bill.

My wine was fine but at $16 a glass overpriced

Drinks arrived AFTER my wife had finished eating her salad - way late for the pre dinner cocktail

Salads
We had a choice of the Morton's Salad - Lettuce, eggs and anchovies with blue cheese dressing or a Caesar's salad.

My wife had the Morton's salad without the anchovies and with poppy seed dressing as she doesn't like Blue Cheese. She described it as weird, lettuce with egg.

I had the Caesar. After 4 or 5 bites I quit eating it as it had an odd taste. As a side note, I did become ill later that evening frequenting the bathroom twice.

The waitress asked if I was finished and I told her something tasted bad. Her reply was not" Oh, I'm sorry, can I bring you something else?" But rather "Oh, so I can clear this then."

Steak
We both had the 6 ounce filets. They were cooked as ordered. They were tender and juicy, but lacking somewhat in flavor. Not really a memorable steak as I have had at The Capital Grill or Eddie Merlot's

We both had the sour. cream mashed potatoes. Again just meh. Nothing exceptional could barely taste the sour cream.

Dessert
My wife had the Chocolate Mousse. She said it was rich and good. Portion was small perhaps because we ordered the restaurant week special

I had the creme brûlée. It was excellent and a nice sized portion

Below average. See late drinks and comment on salad above. Server was pleasant,but cold. Not friendly at all. Other odd things. When she cleared the bread crumbs from my wife's side before dessert, I moved my water glass to make it easier to clear mine. She looked at them, picked up the remaining plates and left. Not a big deal, but weird and certainly not top notch service at a high end steakhouse.

When the check came, we had received a gift card as a present. The total of the bill was a few dollars less than the value of the gift card, so I included my credit card so I could leave a tip. The server returns and tells me the check was less than the gift card, so there was no need to run my credit card. Thanks us for visiting. Places the folio on the table and quickly walks away. I was very tempted to just leave the remaining gift card as a way of trying to make her think "Oh, that's why he put the credit card in!" But I didn't I went, got change and left a 15% tip, below my normal 20% and well below the 25% I will leave for exceptional service

Conclusion

I normally would not return and would go to one of the other steakhouses I mentioned, but we have another large gift card to use, so we will be back. Hopefully next time it will be a better experience

1  Thank bapeljagr
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We enjoyed an amazing evening of oysters and appetizers at Morton's during their happy hour. Drinks were great and the selection of delectable appetizers was plentiful. An unexpected treat was the tuna poke bowl! A must try happy hour!

Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

This is a great place to eat staff is extremely helpful and courteous most entrees are 30 and up side items are family style shrimp scampi is great. The bacon wrapped scallops are the best you get 3 scallops per order.