The Priory Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmonk's bargrand hallbenedictine monasteryeuropean style breakfastmax's allegheny tavernfree parkingpnc parknorth sidehard boiled eggscontinental breakfastshuttle servicefresh fruitsitting roomunique hotelthe andy warhol museumchain hotelshigh ceilings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Spent the weekend here, nice location and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The hotel is charming, and the location is great. Plus free parking.

My room was on the 3rd floor facing Pressley Street, and the noise from the trains outside woke me on the first night. The use of a white noise app fixed that on the second night.

One suggestion would be to add more electrical outlets, or better yet to add USB ports. Otherwise the room was clean, and the service was outstanding.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank David M
JohnEGraf, Owner at The Priory Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

We very much appreciate your taking the time to review the Priory Hotel, and we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that the ambient noise may have bothered you a bit - if you stay again please let us know and we'll fit you in a rear-viewing room. Regarding your suggestion about more USB ports, we are working on that now and should have it in place in the next 30 days or so. Thank you again!

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

What a great experience. The Priory is a very classy place. I felt like Don Draper while visiting the Priory. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the towels, bath tissue, etc were high quality. The only "non-perfect" detail was the carpet, which was a bit worn and had a couple small stains. The staff is A+. Friendly, knowledgeable, professional and helpful. The prices are very reasonable. The shuttle service is super convenient and Henry the driver is the man! I live about 20 minutes outside of Pittsburgh and stayed at the Priory for a nice overnight "vacation" with my girlfriend. It's the perfect place for a weekend getaway. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John S

We are very gratified that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for posting your comments. I'll be sure and pass along your kind words to our "mobile concierge" Henry! Please visit again when you plan another in-city getaway!

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Neat Hotel. Nice little bar. Staff is awesome. Henry is a treat. He knows Pittsburgh, and can not only recommend a good restaurant, or Pittsburgh attraction, but take you to it and drop you off. The shuttle service is a fantastic service in a city where parking is a pain in the butt. Hotel is close to the sports venues and many restaurants, and on a nice day is a pleasant walk into the city, or ballgame.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks so much for your kind comments. We'll be sure to pass along your thoughts to Henry, our driver - he does aim to please. We hope that you'll swing by next time that you are in Pittsburgh!

Reviewed 17 February 2018

We booked the Priory for our anniversary. Wanted to avoid the commercialized feel of standard hotels and get as close as possible to the nostalgic warmth B&Bs provide. BUT... I almost canceled our reservations because the negative reviews I found here at this site really had me thinking I'd made a mistake. Everything from how "ghetto" the neighborhood was to how "musty" the "small" rooms are with the "uncomfortable" "old" beds had me super concerned. But then it hit me that these were just 13 reviews of 752 - and they were dated as far back as 2003. So I began reading the more recent reviews and found consistent praises to the comfort, size and cleanliness as well as people saying they don't understand why others say the area is bad (to which I now agree - it's just an average residential city street). So we kept the reservations and we're so glad we did! We didn't experience anything like what the negative reviewers conveyed. Everything was wonderful - from the staff to the cleanliness, the comfort, etc. Even the toilet paper gets 5 stars. So glad they didn't have the cheap stuff that falls apart like everyone else has! Their attention to detail is deliberate and caring. It's these types of things that help keep a hotel from feeling like just another cold business.

What's really great is how the hotel has maintained the beautiful character of the building. It's absolutely charming with all the wood, the fire place in the quaint sitting room off to the left of the foyer, the super high ceilings, etc. It's fantastic. The owners of this hotel have gone to great trouble and expense to preserve a precious, beautiful piece of Pittsburgh. Who does that anymore? Very few. All I kept thinking while there for two days was the challenge of all they've had to do to get and keep the hotel in the shape it's in. Not to mention the cost. It's much more expensive to keep up with an old building like this as opposed to cheap, modern architecture. The furniture pieces alone - my goodness. All I can think now is how much I appreciate the historical asset to Pittsburgh these owners have turned this building into. Even with its imperfections, its priceless. I can't express enough how much we loved staying at a place with this level of character and quality. Somebody had to make that possible. And I'm thankful to them for doing so. We'll definitely be going back.

I'd like to thank Demar (sp?) from the front desk for helping us with a personal matter - and then refusing to be tipped for it. I'd like to thank Henry, the very cool shuttle driver that picked us up from Station Square. And I'd like to thank the very professional young man that oversaw the continental breakfast. And thank you, Sandy, for so kindly taking our photos for us by the fireplace. Last but not least, thank you management/owners for the toilet paper that works (lol, but seriously!).

Looking forward to next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a room from the newer wing.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

We are truly gratified that you took the time to write such a detailed and in depth review of our hotel. As you know, with an independent hotel property, frank appraisals by actual guests are extremely helpful in giving potential guests a level of comfort - so thank you very much. We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff, especially DeMar, and I'm pleased that he was able to assist you. Please see us again when you're in Pittsburgh!

Reviewed 15 February 2018

I've been coming back to this hotel again and again for almost 5 years now. I live only an hour outside the city, but stay here whenever I'm attending an evening event downtown. The hotel's North Shore location is close to all the downtown Pittsburgh sites, but the hotel itself is in a quiet, relaxed neighborhood. Their shuttle service is a wonderful amenity that takes all the stress out of driving/parking in the downtown area. The rooms are quiet, comfortable and well-appointed with a Victorian feel. You can really feel the history in this landmark, from the Monk Bar (smallest in Pgh, alcohol is kept in a very large original safe) to the woodwork, furnishings and artwork (check out the tapestry in the Refectory). The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and gracious - they seem genuinely happy you're there! The pricing is reasonable for such personal service and once you spend a night you'll never want to stay in a Pgh chain hotel ever again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, and thanks so much for your support over the years. We look forward to having you back, and we'll be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff.