“SUPERB Lump Crab Cakes and more”

New Freedom Restaurant and Coffee Shop
Ranked #5 of 17 Restaurants in New Freedom
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 16 June 2017

HOLY COW, OR SHOULD I SAY HOLY CRAB...I DON'T CARE IF YOU'VE BEEN TO PHILLIPS OR HAVE YOUR OWN HOLE IN THE WALL SEAFOOD SHANTY FOR CRAB CAKES, I'LL MATCH THE BROILED CRAB CAKES AT THIS NEW FREEDOM, PA RESTAURANT AGAINST THEM ALL. Wife and I went here last week looking for that small town, American food menu...but because of other reviews thought we'd try the crabbed stuffed flounder and lump crab meat platters.Dinner came with two soups, French Onion and Cream of Crab. Rated against "Best I've Ever Had" as a 10 we would rate the Lump Crab Cakes and crab soup a 10. (Cream of Crab soup is rich, heavy). Stuffed Flounder was a 9; French Onion soup was an 8.

Service was exceptional, indeed , everyone we interacted with was very pleasant.

To quote another review, "Don't let the exterior of the restaurant fool you", while it looks like the local Mayberry dinner, it turned out to be exceptional restaurant with very broad menu options, great service and moderate prices. By the way, the dessert options also look like they were prepared by a gourmet pastry chef (we were too full to order dessert :-) )

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank jimdee2017

Reviewed 13 June 2017

I have been to the New Freedom Restaurant a dozen or more times and tonight's dinner experience has convinced me to never go back again. Horrible HORRIBLE service - waited for nearly 45 minutes for our dinner while people that ordered well behind us received their orders. My guest's food had obviously been sitting in the back and was practically inedible. The waitress did not come back to ask how dinner was and once we were finished, we waited nearly 10 minutes for her to return - with the check I did not ask for (not mention of coffee or dessert). I was ready to say something to the lady at the front counter, but she also did not ask how dinner was. Again, I have been going to this restaurant for well over a year and this has been by far the worst experience I have had. Will NOT return. There are several other places in the area that I will patronize.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank Dino1959
Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

Located south of Shrewsbury on the Old Trail, this restaurant serves generous portions and good food at a fairly economical price. And, there is a huge selection on the menu.

We particularly enjoy the breakfast...my favorite is creamed chipped beef over rye toast with loads of home fries. Staff is always friendly and concerned that you were pleased with your meal.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

Love there breakfast combinations and the staff are very accommodating. Nice atmosphere, can be fine dining when available also very nice deserts.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I come here all the time for breakfast - usually the service is great and very quick and I haven't had anything off the breakfast menu I didn't like.

Date of visit: April 2017