“Tasty, but hold the Mayonnaise”

Windmill Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 21 Restaurants in Morgantown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 13 July 2016

On the way to the Lancaster Area we usually drive thru Morgantown. We have often passed by The Windmill and seen their parking lot full, but never stopped until this past Saturday, 7/9/16. We were greeted with a smile and seated immediately. Our waitress, Arissa, was very attentive and friendly. My wife had French Onion Soup and a Reuben, while I ordered one of my favorite meals, Shepard's Pie. The soup and our meals were served hot. My wife enjoyed her soup, and I tasted it - it was very good. The Reuben was served sandwich style, instead of open faced, and except for the fact they had put mayonnaise on it. We often forget that in some areas of Pennsylvania mayonnaise is a family staple. LOL. I really enjoy Shepard's Pie and many times when I go to a new restaurant and see it on the menu I order it. Overall, I enjoyed The Windmill's presentation, but the peas could have been cooked a little more. While this was not the best Shepard's Pie I had, I would not hesitate to stop at The Windmill and order it again! I still say the Fireside Tavern in Strasburg, PA has the best Shepard's Pie, but would put The Windmill's version in the top 20! They have a nice gift shop, and their occasion cards are reasonably priced when compared to greeting card stores.

1  Thank Mick S

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Another country type joint that I've driven past and finally stopped. Got here right between breakfast and lunch and really wanted lunch. Waitress was a bit slow getting too me and she was all business even though it was slow. I thought she has 15 table but there weren't that many folks here.

Finally, at the appropriate hour, 11:00 am I ordered the turkey dinner. Turkey was good, stuffing was like eating a salt shaker, and they drowned it in salty gravy. Mashed potato's and roll were good. The cranberry sauce was being rationed in tiny plastic containers. Overall, it was edible but I'm sure I was eating Sysco food service type food rather than good old fashioned cooking. How else do you explain all the salt? The price was reasonable.

The waitress recovered from a rocky start, cheered up, and ended up providing good service. I had high hopes for this place but I must say the food was not as good as I thought it would be. I can get food loaded with salt down the street and McD.

I will come back but I will try breakfast next time.

1  Thank Checkmate75
Reviewed 3 July 2016

food was average to not so good. Cold potatoes, cold toast.
Sort of a bad start for a supposedly good breakfast

1  Thank duffy806
Reviewed 22 June 2016

We walked in and were talking (did not notice the sign to wait to be seated) I asked the waitress do we sit anywhere? She said I guess so and the other waitress said sarcastically "don't wait to be seated." My reply had some sarcasm to it (BUT NO BAD LANGUAGE) and I made sure everyone heard me. We sat down and were given a menu after a couple minutes but no one came to take our order so we left. There was only one other table and you would think someone would come to make amends. I never will stop again or suggest it to any one. They should train wait staff better and maybe hire older more mature women then smart mouth girls! I know this is only a diner but imagine the people that don't come b/c of reviews like this. If I owned it I would be concerned!

2  Thank Thom S
Reviewed 9 June 2016

Food was good and reasonably priced. Ordered fried chicken plate for lunch and was surprised it was freshly fried not pre-fried and kept warm. It also included 2 sides. Soup ( corn chowder) was creamy and good.
They had an ice cream stand outside, delicious creamy ice cream but only a few flavors.
The inside looked as if it had not been renovated for 50 years and could use some fresh paint. Wait staff very friendly and knew the menu. There is handicap ramp outside and plenty of parking. Menu was typical of the many Pa Dutch/ Amish restaurants in the area. Has a nice gift shop.

1  Thank SeniorNYer