“Disappointed”

Longswamp Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mertztown
Longswamp Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Mertztown B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I should begin this review by stating that my expectations were high. It seems that my entire family -- parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents -- have stayed at Longswamp at one time or another. I was spun stories of its charm, the great fireplaces, and the beautiful location. So when I had the opportunity to spend an evening at the Longswamp this past weekend, I was excited for a cozy and, yes, romantic evening in the Hideaway.

Unfortunately, Longswamp failed to meet my expectations and the descriptions of my family members. I understand that the bed & breakfast is under new ownership since they last stayed there, so that may explain a lot. The room we stayed in, while it did feature a fireplace, featured little else to help one feel comfortable. The bed was hard, the bed spread dated and itchy, the walls appeared to be in poor repair, and the bathroom was basic and very, very small. The hum of the loud minifridge woke me occasionally during the night, as did the footsteps and conversations of the guests upstairs.

As others have written, the breakfast was delicious and served in a beautiful, sun-lit room in the main house (even if we could hear the microwave rewarming it as we waited).

The innkeeper, however, was not terribly warm or welcoming. I have spent time in numerous bed & breakfasts around the world, and believe that a good innkeeper is the key to a successful stay -- someone who is kind and solicitous, present, but not pushy. I found the innkeeper to be very gruff. I felt as if I was disturbing her when I was in the main house. And when we asked her about the advertised special rate for the winter, she was extremely defensive about our apprarent inability to read the fine print and the fact that she could rent the room a dozen times over during the holidays (even rainly holidays where we were easily able to reserve a room the day before). We only sought to clarify the price, but her response left us a little let down by the Longswamp.

For $140, there are a number of other very nice hotels and B&Bs in the area, and my family and I will not be staying at the Longswamp again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adventuress123
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Wading River, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We stayed at Longswamp for one night, we were in the area for the Kutztown Festival and on our way from NY to Lancaster, PA. We were very pleased with the room (The Barn Suite) - it was roomy and private for a family of 4. The kids loved that they were "sleeping in a barn"! The innkeepers were pleasant and warm -- not too fussy or standoffish -- they made you feel like you were staying with friends or family. They were very nice to our kids (not always a given at B&B's). The breakfast was totally delicious and they were accommodating to the kid's tastes as well, offering more fruit when my son ate all of his, and providing cereal when my daughter wasn't too sure she liked the hot entree after tasting it.
The main house is beautiful, but I did see it needed a bit of TLC on the exterior and I agree with the other review that the courtyard is lovely but would be phenomenal if given a bit more attention.
Overall, a really nice place to stay.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank MomOnTheGoNewYork
Texas
Reviewed 21 October 2008

I stay in Bed & Breakfasts whenever possible, and this one is one of the best I've ever experienced. The mansion is beautiful, awe-inspiring and spotlessly clean. The guest quarters in the other buildings have a less majestic atmosphere but are cosy, clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Barn Suite which was very cute and comfortable - except that although the mattress on the bed in the bedroom was very good, the futon bed in the living room wasn't very comfortable!! Not terrible, but it would be better for a child or teenager than a creaky adult :-) This was MORE than made up for by the beauty of the grounds, the friendly and helpful attitude of the innkeepers and the BREAKFASTS!! We were there for 5 days so got to sample a different delight every day.
I look forward to my next opportunity to stay there.

• Liked — The food & the innkeepers
  • Disliked — futon bed
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Fleetwood, PA
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I booked though their website. I got a cottage for the price of a hotel room. Easy to reach from route 100 but you get a true country feeling. Truly relaxing and quiet. I spent an hour sitting on the steps watching the birds. Great for romance, or to just get away. I stayed there while having work done on my house. Very well decorated.
The cottage I stayed in felt so homie. I felt like i had steeped in to a better homes and gardens room. The owners are very friendly and laid back. They are not the hovering type that are found in many b and bs. They will gladly assist you with any thing you need or directions.
There is wifi in the main building but it is week in the cottage. They said they were working on a stronger signal. There is a nice outdoor sitting area with tables and chairs were I sat to check my email while there.

Breakfast was home cooked and served in a bright dining room. I had a tasty home made muffin and some fresh orange juice.

I can't wait till I have a reason to go back there.

• Liked — It was just so cute and uniqe
  • Disliked — internet conection
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 October 2005

This week we had our first experience staying in a bed & breakfast inn. This was our first trip with no children and no pets. The Longswamp Bed & Breakfast Inn was superb! We were given the "Barn Suite" which included a super clean living room, bedroom and bath. The suite included a mini-fridge and microwave. Breakfast at the main house was just a few steps away. Breakfast in the dining area was a delight - served over 3 courses, we were so full we could barely move away from the table. The owners are friendly and knowledgeable about the history of the area. We can't wait to go back again!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mertztown
11.3 km away
10.2 km away
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Allentown-Fogelsville
9.4 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West

Been to Longswamp Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK