“Amazing Find!”

Josie's German Delicatessan
Ranked #15 of 198 Restaurants in Mechanicsburg
Cuisines: German
Reviewed 2 September 2017

What an amazing surprise find! Josie's is a mom and pop German restaurant in a repurposed house, but the food is what a foodie dreams of discovering. The food is truly extraordinary, and entrees most are generally $10-14. I've paid twice as much in well-regarded German restaurants in Chicago for food that's only half as good. The Jaeger Schnitzel was rich, creamy, perfectly spiced, and served with Spaetzle. The Sauerbraten and Currywurst were also terrific, but we found the Jaeger Schnitzel to be the king.

The ambiance is distinctly informal and low-key (plastic tables), and there is a meat deli and tiny German food sales area. Don't let the informality or the outside appearance put you off. The meals are authentic and first rate ---- clearly worth a drive to get here. Cans of soda or glasses of the homemade mint tea are $1. Apple Strudel is excellent. The only weak part of our meal was the Black Forest Cake which was average. Highly, highly recommended.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

I only get to Josie's once or twice a year, as I live in Pittsburgh. Even if I have to go out of my way when traveling, it's worth the detour. The jagersnitzel is the best I've ever had. Same with the spetzel. And, the German potato salad is another favorite. The prices are very reasonable. Every time I have an opportunity to eat at Josie's, it is exactly as I remember it, delish!!!

KeRew, General Manager at Josie's German Delicatessan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2017

Thanks for the great review! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 19 July 2017

Casual BYO gives fancy "pretend German" restaurant a run for their money! This is the real deal! You might drive by every day and not notice it set back from the road but once you have discovered the flavors you'll never forget where Josie's is!! Worth a detour as the Sterns wrote in their Road Food blog.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

As you can tell, my friend and I love to try different places to eat. Although it has been a few months since eating here, thought I would let you know that we loved the food, the atmosphere and the people working there. They had a problem with potatoes the day we were there, but offered another type of side to us which we absolutely loved! If you like the taste of German food, you should try it here. This is BYOB facility and they welcome your bringing your own.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

I have to tell you've I've traveled to this area for years and I found this place a few months ago. The Rouladan, Schnitzel, and Hungarian Goulash are the best! They make their own Spatzele...red cabbage. I LOVE THE Homemade Strussel! The dishes are fresh and made to order They also have a small deli to buy German favorites!