“Absolutely Delicious”

Pho 7 Spice
Ranked #24 of 188 Restaurants in Mechanicsburg
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My family and I had dinner at this restaurant today, and it was absolutely delicious.

We ordered 3 large bowls of pho and well as the fried egg rolls. All the food was freshly made and was very tasty.

The staff were also very warm. The restaurant is run by a brother sister duo, and they were so kind to us.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (62)

Reviewed 15 December 2019

This was my first time to this family-owned, Vietnamese restaurant located in a strip mall. The interior is crisp and inviting with hand-finished wooden tables, a dining room divider and custom lighting fixtures. The capacity for seating is 82. Note they do not serve alcoholic beverages.

Their menu is very simple offering three appetizers, Pho (pronounced “FUH”) and 12 other entrees. My appetizer order was the A1. Fresh Spring Rolls (2 for $4.25) - rice paper wrapper filled with shrimp, rice vermicelli, lettuce, cucumber, and Thai basil, and homemade peanut sauce. My entrée order was the Pho 7 Spice Special ($11.45 large) - 7 spice beef noodle soup with all beef cuts: rare beef slices, flank, fatty brisket, lean brisket, beef tendons, tripe, and beef meat balls. It is billed as a full-bodied soup made with their special 7 spice broth, rice noodles and an assortment of meats, and garnish of finely sliced cilantro, scallions, and white onions. A plate of bean sprouts, jalapeño slices, Thai basil, and lime comes with each order. I also ordered extra noodles ($1.50). Note that the small serving is $10.45 so you are better off paying $1 more for likely double the quantity.

What I Liked:
- The Spring Rolls were excellent. A great price point for the quality and size.
- The Pho was very good. It was loaded with beef products and did not come with an over salted broth like a lot of the Asian restaurants.

What I Did Not Like:
- All the food was served within a couple minutes of each other
- My server disappeared after serving the food and I never saw her again

My overall rating placed this restaurant at #33 of the 135 restaurants I have eaten at in the Carlisle area since February 2019.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 15 December 2018

I'm not a big pho fan, but my wife thought something bland would be good for me after having a medical procedure. The focus here is really on pho. There are more than a dozen versions on offer. I took the rare beef slices with meatballs. My wife ordered the rare beef slices with flank steak. As expected, these came atop large bowls of steaming hot broth with noodles. Beansprouts, basil, and peppers were served on the side. We began with two egg rolls.
The egg rolls were tasty but not as crisp as one might expect for something right out of the fryer. They had a bitter aftertaste, suggesting that the oil needed changing. The pho was bland, as expected. Too bland for me. I found some fermented bean sauce to squirt on it. The beef was okay (but bland). The meatballs were unexpectedly tough and tasteless. I don't know if this is the way they are supposed to be, but this was not my idea of a good meatball. Pho 7 Spice seemed to be doing a decent amount of business on a gray and rainy late Friday afternoon, so it seems to have a following. The place seems clean and modern, without an excess of decor or distractions. The staff were friendly and accommodating. This is not exactly a "cheap eats" place, but a very economical meal can be had here.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed 7 October 2018

Seriously.... beautiful interior, staff were friendly and conversational. Food was terrific, much better Pho than what is found in our immediate area. We'd go back!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We have gone here several times for the Pho. Friendly staff. Food is fresh and very good. It is one of my teenage sons’s favorite restaurants and he’s picky. We usually get the chicken pho. But my husband has had beef and loved it as well.

Date of visit: July 2018