“Will never stay here again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of General Sutter Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lititz
General Sutter Inn
Ranked #5 of 10 Lititz B&B and Inns
Bethany Beach, DE
“Will never stay here again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We tried the Holiday Inn and the Lititz House, but they were booked, so we had no choice to stay here. We got the last room, at a rip-off rate of $130 (including taxes). We had luggage and bags, which nobody helped us carry them up the stairs. I understand it's an old building, so they don't have elevators or lifts. We couldn't control the heat in the room. We couldn't figure out how to turn on the TV. There are no phones in the room so we couldn't call downstairs unless we had a cell. Not a lot of hot water in the shower and it takes forever to warm up. The absolute worst part about this stay was that we could here everything going on in the kitchen down below. No exaggeration. The smell of the grill permeated the room. We had to endure it until the door slammed and all the employees went home ten minutes after midnight. The wi-fi didn't work. There weren't enought towels in the room. The only good thing about this room was the the bed was comfortable. The best part about this stay was that we left at 7 a.m. the next morning. And let me add that nobody helped me carry my bags out the door. All I wanted was someone to hold the door open, but they're not even bright enough to figure that out. It's called common courtesy, which they obviously lack.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 216 through 222. They are right above the kitchen and you can hear every conversation a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

My wife and I had the misfortune of staying at the General Sutter Inn last night (1/28/12). Just a brief weekend get away to the land of the Amish and a little shopping. Lots of Inns and hotels/motels are closed for the season, and just possibly the General himself was out on manuevers because things back at HQ were not ready for inspection at all. After checking in on Saturday afternoon and going to our room (#204) we noticed upon entering a pungent yet unidentifiable odor. We didn't think much of it at that moment as we were rushed to head out, get some lunch and do a little shopping before stores closed. We came back and noticed the odor still was pronounced. At this point we were headed down to dinner in the Inn's restaurant. After dinner we decided the odor was most definitely the smell of sewer gas. Additionally, as it had cooled down during the evening we noticed there was no heat and the windows in the room seemed closed and were shut but the gaps between the sashes were at least 3/8ths of an inch and the cold was whipping in. At this point I went down to the front desk, apprised them our our dissatisfaction and asked for a room change. I mentioned that i understood there were some newly renovated rooms on the 3rd floor hoping we could snag one of those (they were offered to me when I first made the reservation and there was availability according to the clerk) but we were given room #214. No big deal...I thought. Couldn't be any worse, right?

At first 214 seemed like an improvement although it, too, had no heat emanating from the radiators. But, it did have a small space heater which I promptly plugged in to what must have been one of the first electric outlets Edison installed east of the Mississippi. As this room had two queen beds (instead of the king in 204) we took the comforter off of one and added it to the queen we slept in. At some pont during the night the heat did come up from one of the radiators. We didn't wake up with pneumonia at least and the windows in this room had storm windows installed...what a Taj Majal, right? Wrong!

When I tried to take a shower in the morning in the bathroom with maroon paint that was peeling in 4-inch chunks and the badly broken floor tiles, I found the shower head to mist (not shower as it should) in about 12 different direction preventing 90% of the drizzle of water that misted from it from coming in contact with me. And, to top it off, it was't hot, at least not for the first 10 minutes of the shower. In the 11th minute I savored the luke warm nirvana that finally came out of the aged shower head. The wall paper in this room was really old with the corners at the walls darkened from age and dirt. Both rooms were dimly lit and the pictures at the Inn's website are terribly, terribly misleading as to the condition of this place. In fact, the picture of the room at the "Hotel" link on their website is, in fact, room 204. It shows a nice sitting room that Martha Stewart herself could have decorated with pillows on the bed, flowers on the coffee table (no coffed table now or TV table or nice pillows and spread on the bed or wooend floor without gouges) but the last person to touch this room was Lily Munster.

Sorry for the long winded description here but the bottom line is DON'T GO TO THIS PLACE. The General should be put in the stockade and the key thrown away. The rooms that we saw on the second floor are extremely run down. Peeling paint, wooden floors that are either terrible worn and scratched or blackened with what may have been mold, in the case of room 214, from water damage just outside the bathroom door. The staff is apologetic yet they only were able to give me about $14 off the room rate for the night which seemed quite paltry. Then again they only work there. At least they don't have to stay as guests though.

By the way, we ate lunch in the psuedo-English pub and dinner in the run down restaurant. the food itself isn't terrible at the pub. Burger, fish & chips, etc., but there is no table service, very little seating and you have to more or less clear the dishes from the last patron from the table you snag when you come in. Dinner in the restaurant was OK. Not a very interesting menu but pasable. There are better places to eat in the area if you want a better dining experience.

P.S. If I'd known I could add photos here I would certainly have done so. Nothing screams stay away like pictures of a dump like this. Do yourself a big favor, don't find out for yourself.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...pitch a tent, sleep in your car...anything but the General Sutter Inn
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Greg L
New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

From the moment we checked in on New Years Eve we found the desk clerk both friendly and accommodating. Our room was very clean and I just wanted to take the bed home with us it was soooo comfortable. The hotel has lots of history that can be found around every corner. On to cocktail hour, the English pub was a blast to hang out in. We tried a couple different beers, that were all very very good. The bartenders were very attentive and never left us waiting for a beer. The people we met in the Pud were friendly and warm. Next we had the most delicious dinner we've had in a long time. Cudos to the Chef - what a terrific meal. The staff could not have been better during dinner. I would reccomend the General Sutter to all my friends and can't wait to go back. Happy New Year.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Central Pa.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I wouldn't recommend staying here. I can only speak of the second floor. They use extension cords to plug things in and there aren't enough outlets. While I was drying my hair, the outlet stopped working. I also found some old candy under our beds. The shower in our room had no water pressure and our room was cold. I realize the building is very old but I feel their website is deceiving.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank swartzj
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We did not stay in the hotel but the restaurant was awful. The food was passible - just, very over priced. But the waitress was terrible. It was a huge inconvenience we were there towards the end of service. The starter and main was rushed, she brought the bill after the main - no offer of dessert. They were setting up for the next day around us. Not one word or a smile the entire service, save your time and money!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lititz
1.8 km away
Lancaster Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Manheim
9.1 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Lancaster

Been to General Sutter Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK