“We loved this campground!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lancaster
Old Mill Stream Campground
Ellsworth, Maine
“We loved this campground!”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This campground was one of my favorite campgrounds that I have ever stayed at! My family tented out for four nights (4 adults and 3 children ages 8, 6 and 4). The kids loved the arcade and playground and had plenty of space to run around.
The tenting sites are set up at the back of the campground with a gorgeous view of Amish farmland. The staff greeted us and was very friendly. The amenities on site were exceptionally clean and air conditioned (thank goodness because it was our only relief from the hot and muggy weather during our stay).
The campground is located on a commercial strip in Lancaster, which is great because it has plenty of shopping and restaurants right at hand, and considering how close it actually is to this busy main road, you can hardly hear any of the traffic at night.
My only complaint would be the ridiculously loud Canadian geese every morning between 5:30 and 6:30am (which is no fault of the campground, and I guess no big deal if you're an early riser).
The only suggestion I have would be for them to consider putting in a pool. Dutch Wonderland next door has a VERY small "waterpark" (if you can even call it a waterpark) which also has no pool. It was so hot, we really could have used some relief!
Overall great stay, beautiful location, would recommend to everyone!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AMD22
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rockwell, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 July 2011

DUCK POO! Yep. We checked in and everything seemed nice. Our 5 yr old got out and started running around while we were going to set up the tent. We left our 2 yr old in her carseat asleep. By the time we put our tarp down and got the tent out, our son had sat in duck poo along the river bank and he stepped in it. It was all in his crocs and all over his foot. YUCK! My husband went to the office and talked to them about it (there was duck poo all over the ground where we would be setting up the tent).We didn't even set the tent up once we realized that our son had poo all over him. The people that run the place were very nice, and they refunded the full amount because of the duck poo. I know they can't control the ducks, and being alongside the river makes it worse. We were looking foward to camping there, but I'm glad my 2 yr old was in the car the whole time, because she still puts things in her mouth, and I hate to think what the stay would have been like with her running around playing with that all over the ground! If my children were older, we may have stayed there anyway, but with young children running around, you really don't want them playing in poo... I gave the high review though, because I felt like it was nice of them to refund the full amount that we paid when we left to find a hotel - even though we understood they cannot control the ducks...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank shelmo77
philadelphia, pa
Reviewed 15 July 2010

we set up our 2 tents at one of the tent sites- on the side of the mill stream, with a placid view of cows and farmland to the north (occasional wafting of manure, it was fine), views of the dutch wonderland's roller coaster to the west, and the swath of mega RVs to the south. we really enjoyed our time at the campsite. considering the sties were pretty close for the RVs, it was really quiet and still peaceful. the kids could bike around without danger of cars. the bathrooms are PRISTINE! we appreciated having a sink to wash camp gear and the family bathrooms/shower. we came for dutch wonderland and the proximity is truly great! the camp store has basics: eggs, bacon, marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers and firewood. what else could we need?

our kid hurt his elbow when he fell off his bike, and the hosts allowed us to stay longer so we could get to the ER and back without stressing out about checking out and breaking camp.

we'll go back while dutch wonderland is still attractive to the kids but when they get older, we'll do more non RV camps. if you like tent camping, pick the tent only campsites on the river or the ones on the east side up against the trees - a little more isolated.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank wetakethekids
Windham, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 June 2010

As stated previously by others...this campground is clean. So many workers around to help you out and keeping this in working order. The sites are a little tight and the hook-ups locations make set up a bit off (we had to pull up on a lawn between a tree and the power box...but the employees said no problem do what you have to. An Amish farm is located just across a small steam so ex[pect all atributes of a farm (incl. cow). The spreading of liquid waste while we were walking was stinky but not overwelming! The only "neg" we could conger up was the duck doockies in the grass area of the playground/tent area.
We would definitely recomend this site!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paynes2Be
Philadelphia
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I'm so not an outdoor person and HATE camping, but my husband grew up RV-ing so I go. This campground is second to the nicest campground I've ever been to (the first is a place we go to at the Jersey shore and I prefer the ocean to the woods). All the facilities are clean (bathroom, showers, laundry, etc.); not at all what you would expect from a campground. It is owned and operated by Hershey corporation (as is the adjacent theme park, Dutch Wonderland). Perhaps that is why it is so well kept.

We stayed here in the fall when it was cooler, no bugs or humidity, and the foliage was pretty. Each site has a fire pit and we had nice bonfires. I can't say what it's like in the summer. The location is ideal for families going to Dutch Wonderland. You can literally walk door to door. Hershey Park and Zoo is only a few minutes drive. as is the old Strasburg Railroad which still runs for tourists, and other attractions. The campground is centrally located.

There's a stream between the campground and a working farm. The kids love seeing the cows and horses grazing near the water. (Warning: depending on the direction of the wind, you may wake up to the smell of manure.) The playground has a waterfront view and the roads are either paved or graveled. The grass was mowed twice in the week we were there. The trash is picked up from your site and there are plenty of trash and recycling bins throughout the grounds. When you're inside the campground, you would never know there is such a busy town right up the road! Many conveniences nearby (Walmart, Target, groceries, restaurants, hotels, and outlet shopping), but it's also in Amish country with working farms, country and antique stores, etc. On weekend mornings, an Amish horse and buggy comes around selling fresh pies and pastries (I posted a picture in the gallery).

I would definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family