“Nice option”

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Lancaster
Philadelphia
“Nice option”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed for one night on a weekend in Jan. 2011, after a snowstorm. Wanted a night away with my boyfriend, and we both live an hour away in Philly suburbs. This was an affordable option for what we wanted -- privacy, some time alone, and not much sightseeing (it was January, after all).

It's tucked next to the bypass as you get off the ramp, though everything seems much more secluded once you're inside. We arrived early because it was supposed to snow later that day, and we were allowed to check in. Lincoln Highway is peppered with shopping centers and fast food places, and Dutch Wonderland is about 15 to 20 minute s by car down the road, if I remember right.

Ate a fantastic meal at Diener's, about 30 minute drive straight down the highway, and it's now our go-to Amish buffet when we're in the area.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Mary C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

After shopping around for a hotel that offers a good deal, I settled with the Hawthorne Suites. First thing I noticed about this hotel was its location (Right off the exit, and right beside the overpass) this location made it difficult to see the hotels sign until you are directly beside it which poses a traffic problem. The hotel was located just a few miles from the outlet stores in the area (very convenient). Checking in was done in 2 minutes (prior reservation). The room was spacious, clean and smelled good, however, the room that I stayed in (facing the parking lot) was noisy at night due to the noise from the passing traffic which made it somewhat harder to fall asleep (Noise reduction wall should be constructed) I have stayed in several hotels before and I have to say this one had one of the most comfortable beds and blankets.
There is one more issue that I thought was great but should have been handled differently. Upon spending the night out, I returned to the hotel after the main doors were secured (11:00pm, great security measures) I did not have my key to enter, however prior to letting me in, the attendant did ask if I had a room in the hotel through the security glass in the foyer. He never asked for my ID until he gave me access into the lobby (Too late, this should have been done prior to letting me in.) Checkout was done in less than 2 minutes. Overall this was a great hotel to stay in. I would recomend this hotel to anyone..

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms tha face the parking lot. The highway is right outside these windows which makes...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dwayne W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed for 7 nights and love it! Upon checking the employee treated nice (explained our horrible 1 day stay over at the budget Inn) after hearing our horror story. It was her first day working. Rooms clean. Bed was comfortable. Everyday there was a variety of breakfast offered. Make your own waffles (kids loved). The kitchen staff was very pleasant! The whole stayed was awesome! I would definently stay again.

Room Tip: Noise from the highway distracting. But,did not bother us much. Entrance and exit to the hotel not i...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ButterfLynn7
Delaware
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Staff was friendly and efficient. Rooms clean. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast offered choioces. Noise from the highway distracting. Entrance and exit to the hotel not ideal, but manageable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CBs2
Belton, KY
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The actual facility may be very impressive, but the location is horrible. The hotel is built in a little triangle, flanked on all sides by very busy interstate roads. The noise level from the trucks, cars and motorcycles in the rooms in unbelievable. After being in the bed for 10 minutes, we called the front desk and said it was too loud and we wanted to leave for another hotel (any other hotel) and we were informed that our $ would not be refunded nor would the $50 non-refundable pet deposit from our 6 pound chihuahua. To make a long story short, I ended up sleeping on the floor of the bathroom so I could shut the door and try to escape the traffic noise. Did I sleep? Absolutely not. And, to make matters worse, it ended up costing us $150!!! Did I tell them this was unacceptable and that I was unhappy. You bet I did. Did it help? Absolutely not. Never have I ever had such an unpleasant evening. I will NEVER stay at another Hawthorne.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple