“My new go-to for a delicious lunch!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Business meetings
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“My new go-to for a delicious lunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I was excited to try this place after reading other reviews we went at 8 pm on a Sunday and they were still busy. My confidence grew immediately.

I let the waitress pick my entree which was the seafood soup; I won't embarrass myself by trying to remember the name or it's spelling.

The crab and shrimp were very fresh. The broth was clean and had a depth of flavor that is sometimes lacking in other restaurants. I didn't get an MSG or sodium headache/overload. This was the real deal.

My husband ordered their version of wonton and pork with broken rice. He wasn't thrilled with his choice, but admittedly, he's got a Westerners palate. The pork skins were less like the bacon he envisioned and more like dry pig-flavored scraps. They tasted like rubber bands covered in peant dust. But, I'm sure somebody's palette loves 'em: probably Andrew Zimmern.

He enjoyed his wonton, too. He wasn't used to wonton having veggies in the broth, but soon enjoyed the savory napa and other fixings.

The ambiance in this place is old, retro Asian restaurant. But, who cares? I'm there to eat some real food that someone's grandmother's grandmother passed down. I can deal with ugly carpets.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Try it, you'll love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

The Saigon Café is probably the best Vietnamese “down home” cooking you’ll find in this part of the state. We have gone there for many years, and often, we are the only non-Vietnamese eating in the restaurant - which is a very good sign! I like the shrimp salad with rootlet vegetables (the version without the jellyfish) or their fried shrimp with spicy dipping sauce. I also love their version of Wonton soup (with a side of fresh basil, parsley, bean sprouts and lime) and then the Vietnamese Crepe is also devine. So don’t be afraid to try it if you are unfamiliar with Vietnamese food . . . because the menu has pictures!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lititz, Pennsylvania
“Great Vietnamese Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I love this restaurant. We like to go for lunch when we take a day off of work. This is the only Vietnamese place we have been so I don't have much to compare it to. However, everything we try tastes fresh and flavorful. I try something new each time I go and have not been disappointed yet.

The meals are inexpensive (<$10 most plates) and are generous portions. I believe its BYOB.

I recommend this place to anyone that is willing to try something new!!!

• Visited March 2012
Landisville, Pennsylvania
“Great spring rolls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

Great spring rolls at a great price. Great owners and great authentic Vietnamese food.

Lancaster, Pa
“New favorite Vietnamese restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

This place has officially bumped Rice and Noodles out of the running for best Vietnamese food in Lancaster. Classic entrees like pho and crepes done extremely well and they do a delicious stir fry. All dishes served with all the trimmings, fish sauce,etc. Lacking in ambiance and can be busy but so can other small, asian restaurants in the area. Prices very reasonable and service quick. Only complaint, and a small one at that... If you haven't eaten at a lot of Vietnamese restaurants the menu descriptions can be a bit vague and is mainly written in Vietnamese, the servers are also Vietnamese so some slight language barrier. But then again their English is better than my Vietnamese. Personally didn't think anything was truly spicy but I love spicy food so maybe not the best impartial opinion.

• Visited October 2011