“Beautiful Mansion, Relaxing Visit”

The Harry Packer Mansion Tours
Ranked #7 of 8 Tours in Jim Thorpe
More attraction details
Owner description: The Harry Packer Mansion is open for self guided tours Saturday and Sunday from 1PM to 4:30 at a cost of $5 per person.Used as the model for the Haunted Mansion in Disney World, the mansion sits on a hill overlooking the historic district.Guests can wander through the rooms at their own pace enjoying the surroundings of a bygone age.
Maryland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Beautiful Mansion, Relaxing Visit”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My wife and I were visiting Jim Thorpe for the weekend with another couple. There's a limit to the amount of things you can do in Jan in Jim Thorpe. The Harry Packer Mansion was open for self-guided tours. We walked up the hill, and were pleasantly surprised. It was like stepping back in time. We went into the "libation room" and ordered a flight of wines for tasting. They told us to sit anywhere on the first floor and they'd bring it to us. We sat around for a couple of hours drinking wine, sitting in the living room admiring the architecture, occasionally walking around the first floor, talking to the people who worked there about the murder mystery weekend that was going on, their Cockatoo that was making some noise in the basement (sounded creepy through the vents), and about the Mansion. We didn't do the tour. Lots of other folks were coming through, though.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank amyanderic1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Binghamton, New York
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 197 helpful votes
“Don't stop into to take a tour!”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I love big old historical homes and was very excited to visit the Harry Packer Mansion in October. Being a Disney fan and learning that this house was the inspiration for the Haunted mansion piqued my interest even more.

My husband and I arrived and we were not totally sure how to enter. We went around back and used that door to get in. After a minute or two a young man greeted us. We asked if we could tour the mansion and he went to check with someone. He came back and said we could and I handed him the money and a coupon I was given at the guest house we were staying in. He looked confused and left for a minute and came back and said we could not use it as they were no longer accepting them. Well there was no expiration on the voucher but whatever. I paid the $12 and was ready to go have a look around.

We were handed a piece of paper that explained the mansion and the rooms. As we were ready to start we were informed the upstairs was off limits as the place was booked for a murder mystery. So for $12 we got to look at 3 rooms and one room was covered in props for the murder mystery. Totally a rip off. If knew all this before I paid I would have left. The rooms we looked we pretty much saw standing in the hall.

To make matters worse I emailed the owners when I got back home and explained what happened. She apologized and said she was going to refund our money since we were not informed of the murder mystery or that we could not explore the upstairs. She also apologized about the coupon and said that was a mistake on their part for not providing an expiration date on them. She asked for our address and in my return email I thanked her and provided my address. I was not expecting a refund but rather I wanted them to be aware of what happened. It was a nice gesture to want to provide the refund.

Well that was in mid-October and now in December I never heard from the owners and never received a refund. Poor business practice. I really wanted to stay overnight there sometime or try the murder mystery but forget it now. Too bad because what i saw of the mansion was beautiful.

5 Thank joenronnie
Westfield, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Elegant place for drinks”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We came in out of the wet and cold to this warm and friendly home. We enjoyed drinks in the beautiful sitting room and a good conversation with the owner. I recommend it as a very civilized place for a glass of wine. If it weren't so cold out, the front porch looked great, too.

Visited May 2011