“Penthouse Perfect!”
Review of Rae's on Wategos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Byron Bay
Rae's on Wategos
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Byron Bay
Reviewed 13 May 2012

What a perfect venue for a party! Just celebrated a friends 40th last week in Penthouse 1 after a fantastic meal in the fish cafe. Highly recommended to anyone seeking something a little different from the norm in a magic setting.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Rae's on Wategos

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed here for the night before my wedding, and my wedding night. We stayed in the Penthouse which was amazing, it was large and had two very good sized bedrooms. The decor was lovely, and the views were amazing. We didnt see the standard room, so i can't comment on how they are, but the penthouse was perfect for the bridal party getting ready, photos, and a luxurious treat for the wedding night.
Breakfast was fantastic, and food in their restaurant was lovely. The only complaint I have, is that the older lady from reception seems very cold and unwelcoming. I found her to be quite rude, and also found she had an "I think I'm better than you" attitude..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rebecca K
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed at Raes in January hoping for an unbelievable experience due to the charges per night and the glossy website. Should have checked with trip advisor! I am writing this as I am horrified as someone has recommended it in this months Qantas magazine within the article about Byron Bay. Overpriced, tired, musty and dark - save your money, I would only recommend this if someone wanted to be a part of a faulty towers episode!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank 66JJ
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Rae's is a fabulous looking building - from the outside! Inside it's quite clear the glory days have past. We stayed in the late March to celebrate my husbands birthday. I don't think we have ever paid so much for a hotel room - not even in a boutique slick hotel in New York (The Standard) or the iconic Peninsula in Singapore where the service extends to collecting you from the airport in a rolls! Well forget service - our room, the Batavia room, was large and luckily more airy than our friends below in the dark and dank and smelly room. Our bathroom was tiny, the toilet, (plastic) pretty much adjacent to the king sized bed and separated by a rickety bali style sliding wooden door. No fan or ventilation meant it was unwise to shut the door when showering - the toiletries supplied were unbelievably budget and there was no space at all to even unpack a razor and deodorant let alone make-up!. By contrast a ridiculous marble "bath" kind of more a dirty uncomfortable square pool was fitted with an over head shower. Service was pretty well non existent, aside from the fact that they made your bed. Turn down service is a chocolate on your pillow - dirty dishes from your tea service left untouched, shutters left wide open, and if you ask for a drink to be delivered to your room, be prepared that you may have to fetch it yourself. Requests like some nibbles, chips or nuts to accompany a drink - well they just don't have them! Why not go to the mini bar you ask? Well because there isn't one! Nothing - just a little tetra pack of long life milk and the nearest shop is a car drive away ! Breakfast, a nice fruit salad and breads are delivered to your room but as we were there with friends they did us the favour of letting us meet in the restaurant and order a hot breakfast. Amazingly we had to order our hot food the night before and come breakfast none of us got to eat at the same time - even the sides of spinach and mushrooms came before the eggs - and my husband who ordered ham with his eggs was simply told - we havent any. What was the point of ordering the night before! Fortunately with friends in tow we all managed to laugh about our Faulty Towers stay, but be warned fellow travellers - you can do far better with your dollars than this - spend it where they care.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Dee B
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My wife and I booked at Rae's on Wategos due to its reputation for being a first class hotel. Unfortunately the weather at the time was terrible however my introduction to the hotel was being escorted into a dark and damp room with little or no character. I quickly found out that Wi Fi was an additional charge to the high priced room which I found outrageous . How can a hotel of this status expect this to be an additional charge. Overall the hotel is dated and would recommend you stay at the near by Victorias at Wategos

• Stayed: January 2012