See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 July 2015

I spent roughly 7 nights at this hostel last year whilst visiting the surf festival that was on at the time. The staff were exceptional, most were backpackers who had taken to working there for their keep and were incredibly passionate about Byron and its unique culture.

The hostel is very basic, good kitchen, acceptable showers and beds that are reasonably comfortable, but if you're staying in a hostel for its amenities you're doing something wrong. I met some amazing people there, friends to this day, we ate, drank and enjoyed the surf. Would highly recommend!

Also they have free wifi in the common room, it's not the best but you can check your mail, a few youtube videos etc... with no problems.

Room Tip: Ask one of the Veterans which shower is best!
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2015

I spent 2 nights in this hostel and the staff is super friendly, the common area are quite good and the room are ok. It's a hostel it worth the money. The location is great and byron bay is wonderful!

The wifi is not working really good in the reception area and it is not working at all in the room.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 April 2015

Let's not forget that this is a hostel, not a hotel, so it's a little rough around the edges... But the staff was super friendly, accommodating and helpful! The very kind manager gave us a separate room since we were travelling with a 9yo (and it's virtually impossible to find a hostel that will allow children in Byron Bay). They even brought us a spare mattress to our room in case the double bed would be too crowded for all 3 of us. We had an excellent stay and would gladly come back again. Thank you :)

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2015

My partner and I stayed in room nr 1, for one night, our own bathroom and free wifi, 70$ in total. Definitely reasonable for the location (near the main beach, and loads of shops/restaurants) and the other priveliges. The receptionist was friendly and welcoming. The place is nevertheless a bit rough on the edges, it looks a bit worn out. The kitchen is quite crowded (the one fridge is probably not enough) and the light in the kitchen is a bit too bright, same in the room.

All in all though, we were happy with the privacy, the location and the facilities. For a one night stay or so - very good.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2015

Disgusting hostel. Showers aren't hot. Toilets either have faulty locks, broken windows (so everyone can see in) or are dirty. Currently staying 1 night and getting the hell out of here. 1 small fan in the 8 bed room. With faulty windows also. Bunk beds look like and sound like they could break at any point. 2 other girls in my room just moved to my room because there previous one smelt so bad and they are also moving hostels tomorrow. I mainly don't listen to reviews (and I never write them) because hostels are hostels you can't expect amazing facilities however this place is embarrassing and I am urging people to stay away from here
Byron hostels:
Nomads - amazing! Clean, social, spacious. Super friendly energetic staff
Holiday Village - very social, good facilities, perfect vibe.
Cape Byron Lodge - dirty and hippies galore