“Fantastic! Highly recommended”
Review of Grand Bistro

Grand Bistro
Ranked #12 of 97 Restaurants in Bowral
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 25
Description: Rustic, tasty, flavour driven food served in a friendly atmosphere. A great little wine and a snappy cocktail list to enjoy either with food or on their own. Great space to sit outside and enjoy the all day sun. Owned and operated by people that genuinely love hospitality.
Reviewed 18 February 2018

We had asked a local for recommendations for our weekend in Bowral, and Grand Bistro was on the list for dinner. I was very excited to see that we would be visiting on the Umami night and our group was even more excited when we tasted our meals.

We tried quite a lot of dishes - duck spring rolls, mini burgers, sushi fries, dumplings, crispy pork belly, grilled cuttlefish, miso salmon, wagyu beef curry and every dish was a delight. Our favourites were the mains. Curry - the beef was melt in the mouth, pork belly - the richness of the pork balanced by the herb salad, salmon - just perfectly cooked. Generous serves, the service was fantastic and cocktails and wine list were great too. Lots of choices for wine by the glass.

We were also lucky enough to meet the owner - Justine - who was a delight and very passionate about food. Planning a return weekend so we can sample the Mexican menu!

Justine I, Owner at Grand Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Hey XavireSydney,
Thanks SO much for visiting us on the weekend and I am so pleased you enjoyed your Umami experience at GB and definitely can't wait to have you guys back for Mexican.
See you soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

If you are lucky enough to live around Bowral or travel through frequently, the element of culinary surprise is Grand Bistro in Bong Bong Street. Owners Damien (chef) and Justine Monley make sure that the menus never become boring, always introducing new dishes with something to suit all tastes and using fresh, local, seasonal produce. You even have a big variety of breakfast dishes served all day. My husband loves the local bacon. Just when you don’t expect it, Grand Bistro is transformed into Umami, with Asian fusion style offerings with a twist and an interior design overhaul to match. They also have themed nights, like tapas nights, and designer cocktails. I love the sense of community as they use as much local produce as they can. The staff are bright and friendly, making for a pleasant dining experience. I have recommended many people to experience Grand Bistro and all have found it worth the trip from Sydney for the food and atmosphere. I feel fortunate as a local to be able to keep up with the exciting new offerings from the Grand Bistro, particularly the Mexican pop-up in March!

Justine I, Owner at Grand Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2018

HI jhuntington,
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We love what we do and look forward to feeding you again soon.
Thanks

Reviewed 7 February 2018

Being a Highlands local, we are super regulars at Grand Bistro for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a regular basis. How lucky are we to have such a dynamic and interesting place at which to dine. Breakfast is always fantastic. Great coffee from the Grounds and a delicious menu that has a wide variety of flavours and textures for all tastes. I'm a big fan of the Za'atar eggs which are served with spinach, lemon and feta on grilled toast. There is always daily specials in addition to the menu and my wife ordered the citrus cured trout with quinoa and poached egg. A great zesty dish with superb flavours and textures.
Bowral is a small town with not a lot of choice when it comes to 'modern asian' food so as regulars we were delighted that the high energy owners Damien and Justine opened up the 'pop up' restaurant Umami in the evenings, We have dined there several times over the last three months and it has always been fantastic. The Waguy beef cooked in coconut milk is bloody delicious, as is the fried chicken with five spice and tamarind sauce. Very much looking forward to their next pop up restaurant which I believe is going to be Mexican and tequila. A town this small should think itself lucky that we have such high grade operators that are willing to mix things up a bit and keep it interesting.
Keep up the great work Grand Bistro

2  Thank GILBERTI40

Hi GILBERT I
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on us. We love serving up tasty food and are delighted to her that you enjoyed everything. Next stop Mexico at the end of March and we can't wait to continue to feed you!
Thanks for the kind words.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We recently went to Umami on a Saturday night and whilst the food was good the surcharges made for an expensive evening. 10% surcharge for Saturday is over the top and is not levied at any other Bowral restaurant. Happy Hour is another charge that was added to the bill. What used to be a good meal at a reasonable price has now turned into an expensive dining experience. I can understand why the restaurant was only half full.

Hi,
Would you mind explaining what the 'Happy Hour' charge is? Happy hour is when we offer cocktails between 5-7pm for $10 instead of full price, saving our customers money. I would have assumed this to be a positive thing.Wold love to hear more about this from you.
Thanks

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Last Friday two friends and I had the Umami banquet. With a good tip (the service was fine) the bill was $ 400 with a couple of bottles of white wine. A lot for dried chicken and chips or that's what it seemed like. I'll be back in Japan (with my Japanese speaking eldest son) in a couple of months sampling the delights of traditional banquets in Kyoto and elsewhere. I do know what the real thing is. The Grand Bistro needs to stick to what it does best. Their attempt at Umami was seriously cringeworthy. The wine list too leaves much to be desired. Howard's Lane ( owned by Grand Bistro's owners) red wines (the Shiraz and Merlot) are much like the Umami, unrecognisable as authentic offerings of what they are supposed to be (and not really even drinkable) and at around $ 50 a bottle there are far better local wines available. The lesson ? Never merge bad with worse. Get back to the basics.

Hi Bearwee,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. How exciting that your son speaks Japanese. Fabulous! Thank you for the generous tip too. I say generous because when I do the maths on your above description, it must have been a generous tip if you spent $400. Let's do the math together.
Banquet is $65 per person x 3 = $195 in food
2 bottles of wine at $45 (Howards Lane wines are $45 each, not $50 which is below average for a bottle of local wine. Feel free to look at other restaurants in the area and see what they are charging for local wines. Usually $60+) = $90
Total is $285. Strange that you would leave a $115 tip for a meal you didn't enjoy, no matter how good the service was. Perhaps there was an extra bottle of wine? Perhaps you actually didn't have that bad an experience? Who knows why you felt compelled to write such a negative review, yet leave a generous tip. Still, it's possible you could be right and the other 100 people that have reviewed us are wrong.
Arigatōgozaimashita, Kyōto o tanoshimu (ask said son to translate if need be.)
All the best