“Lovely Meal”

Ranked #1 of 40 Restaurants in Mevagissey
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2017

Walked in with out booking, chancing our luck for a table for 2, got the last table of the night. Had a lovely meal, My wife had the Scallops for starters and I had a Hot Crab Pot, both beautifully cooked. For main course we both had the Cornish Duck, lovely, not had better at a 5star restaurant. All washed down with a lovely glass of red wine. Wasn't going to have a pudding as we were stuffed ! But glad We did , I had the Burnt Cornish Cream and my wife had one from the special board, a caramel and white chocolate tidy - a take on Eaton Mess, both a lovely end to a lovely meal.
Even though we were last in and out,didn't feel rushed. Would highly recommend. Hope to return one day but would be more prepared & book a table in advance !

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

I shouldn't say this before returning but Salamander should raise their prices.
My wife started with scallops followed by breast of duck which she said was the best she had ever eaten. Despite being quite full she couldn't resist the sticky toffee pudding which she said was scrumptious.
I had a hot crab pot to start which was topped with melted cheese accompanied by a nicely dressed salad and toasted sourdough - yum!
I was going to have John Dory but opted for the scallops main course with vegetables and new potatoes that had a delicious homemade pesto dressing washed down with a large glass of fruity Cornish white wine and finished off with a nice cheese board that had deliciously thin oat cakes.
All this for only £63!
What a lovely restaurant with a nice atmosphere, really friendly and knowledgeable staff - I heartily recommend this as the best seafood restaurant in the St. Austell area.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I visited here while staying in Mevagissey, on the recommendation of my B & B hosts.
I had the main of scallops, with garlic butter, boiled potatoes & side salad. The scallops were outstanding, fresh & delicious!
For dessert I had a dark chocolate tarts with raspberry & white chocolate fondue, which was beautifully rich & sublime.
Followed with a latte & a single chocolate, I was then replete & content!
Staff were very friendly & attentive.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

I'm rating this place with 3 out of 5 because and to be honest, it does not categorise as neither "spectacular", "hidden-gem" or "rustic heaven".
Don't get me wrong, food is great and locally sourced (as you would expect from a restaurant by the sea), but it just stops there.
The restaurant lacks an atmosphere, and there's nothing in the preparation that makes it stand out of the ordinary.
Dessert was surprisingly the best in the whole evening.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We were staying in St Austell so we could visit the Eden Project but I wanted to eat by the sea. Mevagissey was only a short drive away and the Trip Adviser recommendations brought me to Salamander.

We had a great meal and very well priced. We started with the chicken kebabs which were juicy and nicely spiced and the hot crab pot, which was very tasty. We then chose two fish from the specials board. What an interesting selection of fresh fish. I ended with a chocolate torte, but the revelation was the hot strawberry and white chocolate sauce that came with it.

Two courses were around £21 and three courses were about £26 or £27. It was great value.

We also received very friendly and welcoming service. I would recommend booking although we managed to book at 6pm on the night we went.